Honda Motor CompanyAcura is f***ed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 10:00 PM

Angry Honda Motor CompanyAcura is f***ed up

I just read that the TL gets a new body style in 2002. On top of that it will be available in the spring, not early fall '01! Why are they doing this? 1st gen. TL's were made for 4 years straight('95-'98). I bought this car last year because it had a new body style. I'm sorry for venting, but it really pisses me off knowing that I will be driving a "2nd generation TL" in less than 4 months.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:30 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo platinum, where did you hear the info from? Is it legit? If it's true, damn that would suck for 2001 TL owners. I say we stormed their headquarters....
Old 12-13-2000, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Damn this really pisses me off, I think i got a broom stick up the ass when I bought this car.

First off, we didn't get any changes from the 2000 model, now we the 2002 comes out extra early and makes an ass out of us! Let go Blackshadow, i'm wit you all the way buddy. I feel like I was suckered punched. Man, this is my life story.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!

Stereo System Coming!
Old 12-13-2000, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

/me kicks bdimc2001 while he's down

Screw it, I have a 2001... wait until we see if they gay it up before we start the slayings.
Old 12-13-2000, 02:07 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

this "new body style" should only be a M/C minor change. the lexus GS series debuted in 97 as a 98 model. 2001 model or 2002 model should be the new bodystyle, but it's only a M/C. i think luxury companies such as lexus and acura are keeping their cars longer than before now. Mercedes used to get redesigns every 8 years. but now it's shortening, even to 5 or 6 years. I think for luxury cars, 5 or 6 is about right.
Old 12-13-2000, 02:26 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bdimc2001:
Damn this really pisses me off, I think i got a broom stick up the ass when I bought this car.

First off, we didn't get any changes from the 2000 model, now we the 2002 comes out extra early and makes an ass out of us! Let go Blackshadow, i'm wit you all the way buddy. I feel like I was suckered punched. Man, this is my life story.
You think that's bad....
What about people who bought the 99 model???
Old 12-13-2000, 06:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Relax Guys....It takes billions of dollars to design a whole new car. Manufacturers need to keep a model line up for at least 3-4 years (if its doing really well) to offset the expenses of development. That's why most manufacturers including Honda keep the existing platform for that amount of time. They will make some minor cosmetic changes, i.e., front end, rear end and minor body tweaks over the span of the car as well as engine and conveinence features (let's face it. would you buy a new car if it were exactly the same as a four year old car?). I do not think we will see a major revision to the car until at least the 2003 model year, which will come out as a late 2002 car. The TL-S is an easy change for the TL, all the components are there from the CL-S line. It would not surprise be if Acura Execs intended all along to release the TL-S later on in the lineup. Remember this thread about the release of the TL...Looks like an "S" to me. http://www.wardsauto.com/autoshow/pr.../0106acura.htm

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. Soon to have 17" or 18" wheels. Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 12-13-2000, 08:46 AM
Drifting

I was talking to the guys at Acura this morning and they said that they'd be VERY surprised if we saw a body change next year. They said Acura likes to keep the design for about 4 years.

Also, when storming Acura's HQ make sure you get all the 99 TL w/ NAV owners. I'm sure they're not too happy about the change to DVD-rom the year after they got theirs. I know that would've upset me, but you have to expect changes. The Acura service manager said to probably expect changes in the NAV system every year as technology changes. (I was trying to find out about the NAV in the Type-S coming out.)

------------------

2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Ebony Interior
20% Tint, No Mods, Just Insanely Clean
Visit my 3.2TL Gallery
Old 12-13-2000, 09:02 AM
Racer

You're kidding, right?

Since you bought a car, you expect the manufacturer to stop improving it? They're not even replacing it with a new generation, they're tweaking the front (and maybe rear) styling!

Maybe you haven't noticed, but that's how the auto business works! Get some perspective. There are people in the world who have real problems...

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 12-13-2000, 05:51 PM
FTM
Instructor

Smile

We all got pretty good cars remember that the 98 TL was the old model.I would have been mad as hell if I had got that thing then the redesigned 99 came out $5000 cheaper.I wanted the 99TL but my money was not good at that time.I got the 2000 & am real happy I did not get the 99 because of the minor changes on 00 model. 00 model had new DVD NAV 5speed trans & intake upgrade plus guage glare problem fixed &lighted window switch buttons along with Side Airbag System.The 01 model is about the same as 00. so the strange thing to me was why would Acura do so much for a car in its 2nd year form all new design as they did on the 2000 model.I correct myself I said the 00 got minor changes but I would say that it was a bit more than minor. Most auto makers would make changes like we had on the 00 model in the 3rd year instead of 2nd.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:12 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
What will you guys come up with to whine about next? A third year production freshening is status quo for the auto industry. Look at the 1984 Corvette. It came with a throttle body injection system with 205 HP, and in 1985 you got Bosch port fuel injection and 230 HP. Know what I did - I sold my 84 and bought an 85.

Want some cheese with the whine?

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled
Old 12-13-2000, 06:33 PM

you know what i heard?
i heard that they are going to stop making acura's all together and that we were going to have to give the ones we own, back. this will be done through a buy-back program. 3cents to the dollar.
now that's just what i heard.

paul
Old 12-13-2000, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by platinumTL:
I just read that the TL gets a new body style in 2002. On top of that it will be available in the spring, not early fall '01! Why are they doing this? 1st gen. TL's were made for 4 years straight('95-'98).
Actually, G1 TLs were only 3 years. 96-98. The Legend and Vigor was still offered in 95. The TL came out in 96 with the G3 Legend/RL.

------------------
Chris K.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by ChrisK on December 14, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-13-2000, 11:25 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by ChrisK:
Actually, G1 TLs were only 3 years. 96-98. The Legend and Vigor was still offered in 95. The TL came out in 96 with the G3 Legend/RL.

Check your stats b4 you post big man. 1995 2.5 TL came out in late 1994. The Vigor's last year was 1994. How does Legend fit into this conversation - that is the RL!

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-13-2000, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage:
What will you guys come up with to whine about next? A third year production freshening is status quo for the auto industry.
We are in the 3rd year now big man & I don't see any changes? If you doubt me go to edmunds a read up.

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-13-2000, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess all the 99-01 owners now know how it felt to be a 98 TL owner when the 99 came out.
Cars are always being redesigned, if you waited for newest and latest model you would never have a car! Just drive the car you have now and trade up in a few years.

------------------
2001 BLACK/EBONY NON-NAV, FACTORY SPOILER, BURLWOOD SHIFT KNOB, RAZO CARBON FIBER PEDALS, WEAPON R HYPER INTAKE
Old 12-13-2000, 11:32 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by black2000:
You're kidding, right?

Since you bought a car, you expect the manufacturer to stop improving it? They're not even replacing it with a new generation, they're tweaking the front (and maybe rear) styling!

Maybe you haven't noticed, but that's how the auto business works! Get some perspective. There are people in the world who have real problems...

Toughguy:
new engine
new headlights
new front grill
new front bumper
new fenders
new trunk
new tails
new rear bumper
new 1/4 panels
and who knows what else!

If that is what you call "tweaking" then you really have problems guy.

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-14-2000, 12:11 AM

Another reason why German car cost more $$
coz the style last more longer than anyone else.
A good example also applied for Acura NSX which lasts for 10yrs.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:01 AM
Racer

Exclamation

Toughguy:
new engine
new headlights
new front grill
new front bumper
new fenders
new trunk
new tails
new rear bumper
new 1/4 panels
and who knows what else!

If that is what you call "tweaking" then you really have problems guy.

"Toughguy"? ouch!

"New" engine? Hardly. They're putting the "S" induction system on our 3.2 liter engine (which was new in the '99 TL), and boosting the compression. But you knew that...

Everything else you mention is styling! Acura is "freshening" the front and (maybe) rear.

I suggest you get out a dictionary and look up 'tweak'.

I guess you haven't had much experience with the automotive marketplace. This is how business is done, at least since the 1930s; models are on the market for a number of years, and manufacturers make small changes to them during their model life. Don't take it personally.

------------------
David

Old 12-14-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro

I just read that the TL gets a new body style in 2002. On top of that it will be available in the spring, not early fall '01! Why are they doing this? 1st gen. TL's were made for 4 years straight('95-'98). I bought this car last year because it had a new body style. I'm sorry for venting, but it really pisses me off knowing that I will be driving a "2nd generation TL" in less than 4 months.
First off, we've always been driving a "2nd generation TL". Its just that a modified 2nd gen car will be out in 2002. That ain't bad considering I got mine in 98. having doen your research before buying your car, you know tha every 4 years or so Acura changes their cars just like most auto manufacturers. I hear you on the gripe, but hey life's not fair and then we die, we can only make the best of it.
The solution is to trade you existing car in for the new one when it comes in. Cars are not investments anyways, so we take the hit and buy another if its important to us. In the meantime, I love my "2nd generation TL"!
just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2000, 12:29 PM

Wink

I guess you haven't had much experience with the automotive marketplace. This is how business is done, at least since the 1930s; models are on the market for a number of years, and manufacturers make small changes to them during their model life. Don't take it personally.

Oh ye wiseman, please tell me what "small changes" were made to the 1998 TL from the 1997 model. I only ask because according to you I "haven't had much experience with the automotive marketplace".

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-14-2000, 01:00 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

Oh ye wiseman, please tell me what "small changes" were made to the 1998 TL from the 1997 model. I only ask because according to you I "haven't had much experience with the automotive marketplace".

Platinum, you've honestly lost me now.

My point is that automakers change their cars all the time. Each one sets product cycles for major changes, and from year to year they make minor changes. It's predictable and inevitible.

No matter when you buy your car, something better is going to come along. And whining about it seems myopic and pathetic.

As best as I can tell, you seem to think that if you can call me out on some arcane point (changes from the '97 to '98 TL), you've refuted my point.

Did I miss something here?

------------------
David

Old 12-14-2000, 10:39 PM

Arrow

Platinum, you've honestly lost me now.

My point is that automakers change their cars all the time. Each one sets product cycles for major changes, and from year to year they make minor changes. It's predictable and inevitible.

No matter when you buy your car, something better is going to come along. And whining about it seems myopic and pathetic.

As best as I can tell, you seem to think that if you can call me out on some arcane point (changes from the '97 to '98 TL), you've refuted my point.

Did I miss something here?

Here is my argument and I sincerely hope you do not miss it:
(P1) Acura released the 1st gen. TL in early fall 1994.
(P2) Acura released the 2nd & current gen. TL in early fall 1998.
(P3) A reasonable person could infer that Acura would not release the 3rd generation TL until early fall 2002.
(P4)Acura will be releasing it's 3rd gen. TL approx. 18 months earlier in the Spring of 2001.
(P5) Since Acura's creation, every other Acura vehicle has had an original body style for at least 4 years.
-------------------------------------------
(C) Acura has deprived all 2nd generation TL drivers the "feeling" of driving a "current" generation vehicle for 18 months.

I realize that when you buy a vehicle changes will be made. I do not believe that the changes being made to the 2002 TL constitute "minor" changes. If you consider new headlights, taillights, bumpers, fenders, etc. "minor" then I disagree. I believe you will be able to notice a "signifigant" appearance change as soon as you compare a '99-'01 TL to a 2002 model. I am not whining about as you put it "something better will come along". I am in fact whining about the fact that Acura is depriving every 2nd gen. TL owner the feling of driving a "current generation" vehicle. Furthermore, I resent the fact that you call the '97-'98 body style changes point "arcane". This demonstrates the distinct pattern on how Acura waited 4 years with it's 1st gen. TL to make body style changes. Acura should have made these changes to it's 2003 model TL and released them as expected in 2002. Instead it has decided to release them 18 months early and deprive me of the feeling of driving a "current generation" vehicle. That is why they are f***ed up!

PS - What are you an attorney?

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:07 AM
Acura TL-S

(P3) A reasonable person could infer that Acura would not release the 3rd generation TL until early fall 2002.
(P4)Acura will be releasing it's 3rd gen. TL approx. 18 months earlier in the Spring of 2001.
(P5) Since Acura's creation, every other Acura vehicle has had an original body style for at least 4 years.
well, for one thing, how do you guys know u'll even like the design? i for one dont like the way the new cl looks most of the time... depending on which angle you look at it from it may look nice or down-right ugly... so dont count out the fact that the same may happen with the new tl redesign and u'll be glad u have the older one (maxima is another example)... also, as far as coming out sooner than the 4 year cycle, i have read at least two articles, one in consumer reports (dont remember the other one) that says that most car manufacturers are now trying to increase the frequency with which they put out new designs... because the computer technology allows for easier design and testing as well as the more advanced wind tunnel technology, they can make cosmetic changes much faster and attract most consumers with the new designs

------------------
Aem Short Ram / Comptech Sway Bars / Comptech Springs / Custom Cross-Drilled Front Rotors / Alpine CDA-7863 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by
Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-3 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers
Pics of my TL

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by ZodiakTL on December 15, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-15-2000, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

If you really want to drive a new model, why don't you buy the 1st year model in every generation? (i.e. a 1999TL in the current generation.) Even if you buy a '02 TL next spring, it will become a relatively older model when the '03 TL arrives in a year.
Old 12-15-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro

Nothing is for certain kids, and the product cycles are definitely not immune to changes. Yes, it is unfortunate that we are being deprived out of the pleasure of driving a "new model" car for up to 18 mos of your expectations, but also understand that product cycles have been gradually getting shorter and shorter. It was inevitable. You're a financial planner right? So you understand the uncertainties of the market for securities and investments? Expectations are not always met. Same deal with cars, except the value of cars usually goes down. And, cars will keep improving no matter what we do. I'd rather that Honda/Acura keep upgrading their cars so we can have better and better ones in the future. Don't you?
In the meantime, we should all enjoy our car which costs what the average American makes in 8 months.
Old 12-18-2000, 04:02 PM
Racer

PlatinumTL,

I think I finally understand where you're coming from - You think the TL-S is a new design.

But based on everything I've heard and seen so far, it's not! Look at this picture (admittedly, it's a drawing):

To me, it looks like a 99-01 TL with a slightly different front end and CL-S wheels (and with a 260 hp engine under its see-through hood...) In other words, a tweaked 2nd generation TL!

According to Motor Trend (and other sources that I've seen but can't quickly locate), the TL will not be re-designed until 2004, which actually means a 5-year lifecycle for the 2nd gen TL.

------------------
David

Old 12-20-2000, 06:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Uh, duh, let me count on my fingers

1999 Model Year 1
2000 Model Year 2
2001 Model Year 3 TL-S and restyled front and rear.

I win! Who needs Edmund's?

The Wreck of the Edmund's, Fitzgerald.
Old 12-20-2000, 10:28 PM

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Road Rage:
Uh, duh, let me count on my fingers

1999 Model Year 1
2000 Model Year 2
2001 Model Year 3 TL-S and restyled front and rear.

I win! Who needs Edmund's?

The Wreck of the Edmund's, Fitzgerald.
</font>

Uh, duh, let me count on my fingers how ig'nint you are:

1999 Model Year 1
2000 Model Year 2
2001 Model Year 3 This is where we're at now.
2002 Model Year 4 TL-S and restyled front and rear coming Spring 2001.

You lose! Who needs Edmund's? YOU DO!

Please check b4 you post so you don't look ig'nint.

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:41 PM

that aint so bad. I bought a 99 patfinder
only to find out that a 99.5 pathfinder
hit the showroom 3 months later.even
when i asked the dealership and they said
they didnt know!