honda emblems: nice or rice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
ninety nine tee ell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda emblems: nice or rice

in my personal opinion, i cant understand why some of you guys put honda emblems on your acuras. i mean, i know hondas our mother company and all, but acuras are supposed to be hondas luxurious line. i view it the same as putting a toyota emblem on a lexus, a vw emblem on an audi, or a gmc emblem on a cadillac. it just doesnt make any sense why you would want to downgrade. im proud to drive a tl, not a civic, and i would never want to lower my car to the same level as one. what do you all think?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

its about being unique. i wanted to do it, since i own a a spec n all, but i decided to use the money else where, and gonan start saving....
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously how many rebadged TLs do you see in a day
Old 07-22-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Seriously how many rebadged TLs do you see in a day
none.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:13 AM
ninety nine tee ell

i see a lot on this website
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I would like to do it if I had the parts to make it a complete JDM replica , just to throw ppl off.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 AM
TLingggggggg

It can be nice or rice depending on how you setup your car.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:08 AM
03' NBP TL-S

if you do the entire JDM thing.. side markers, inspire emblems, honda emblem, jdm rims, etc.. it's ok u know. it's about being unique. or being a japanese wanabe
Old 07-23-2006, 03:59 AM
B A N N E D

i was thinking about honda H but then how would i rep my nationality =]

V- vietnamese

if you ever see acura with the "A" upside down. its cuz a viet person is driving it =]

and i dont find anoything rice about the "V" or the "H"
Old 07-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
i was thinking about honda H but then how would i rep my nationality =]

V- vietnamese

if you ever see acura with the "A" upside down. its cuz a viet person is driving it =]

and i dont find anoything rice about the "V" or the "H"
did you turn the front one upside down too?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:19 AM
B A N N E D

nope. the prongs are not centered. and whhats with that tomato throwing? back in vietnam we didnt have food like that to waste. hahaha jk jk. but yea whats wrong?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
ninety nine tee ell

see, i dont mind the turning of the acura emblem upside down, i think thats unique and i was actually thinking to do that myself with "V-tec" or somethin. but imo the honda emblems just look so tacky..
Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 PM
B A N N E D

shit i need to refinish that chrome now that i look at it. haha
Old 07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Need my Daily Fix of AZ

It's a JDM thing, in Japan there is no *Acura* so people in N/A or wherever want to change them emblems to the *ORIGINAL ORIGIN*

Personally i don't care, both are nice.

IMO Vzptnguyen, it's differnt but tacky. Not many people will understand that stands for Vietnamese, i'd hang something on my rear view mirror to rep my nationality but whatever, atleast it's a clean Job and not some 10' banner across the rear of the trunk.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:11 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Originally Posted by maxxxboost
atleast it's a clean Job and not some 10' banner across the rear of the trunk.
ahmen to that
Old 07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by emdeejay
in my personal opinion, i cant understand why some of you guys put honda emblems on your acuras. i mean, i know hondas our mother company and all, but acuras are supposed to be hondas luxurious line. i view it the same as putting a toyota emblem on a lexus, a vw emblem on an audi, or a gmc emblem on a cadillac. it just doesnt make any sense why you would want to downgrade. im proud to drive a tl, not a civic, and i would never want to lower my car to the same level as one. what do you all think?

I think it depends on your personal taste. Converting to Honda spec is a hardcore undertaking. But I think the cars look clean with Honda propoganda. It is a clean upgrade. With the Acura emblems, the car looks....well...stock.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
no offense, but i think if you have to ask, you just wont get it. if you think of it as 'downgrading' you wouldnt understand i guess..
Old 07-23-2006, 06:39 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think of Acura as a luxury line, but more of a Forced line to keep Honda from being too big in North America. It is Honda's luxury line, but I find it odd that they had to make that distinction. The "H" emblems would make the car stand out, as well as look to where it came from and what it is supposed to be. I would do it, but I just don't have the money, time, and effort to do so at this time.

The upsidedown emblem is different too. I haven't seen someone do that in quite some time. It looks better when the car is actually well maintained, unlike most of the occasions I have seen them.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice... makes my car stand out..
Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think it just depends on what you are aiming for. i like the JDM style. considereing acura is Non exisitant in the other parts of the world. Only in US. but i like it cause it keeps people guessing what type of car is that? thats why i took off the 3.2 TL on mines. some people are asking me all the time. now if i changed all my emblems to a honda then they would be like ohh look its the newest honda haha. it just fun. plus its one of the cheapest exterior mods to do compared to the kit or wheels. ext. but its too each is own. i mean its like people on here that like chrome and dont. its all about being unique as stated above by so many.. i like it.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not about "downgrading" to a Honda. The Honda Inspire was the Acura TL. Personally, I like the JDM style on TL's and TSX's. I'm not a big fan of JDM Integras unless they are truly JDM and very nicely done. (Clean) Too many wanna be Paul Walkers are driving around in Integra LS' with JDM headlights and are calling it a day.

As to the "V", I like it now that I know what it is, but I agree that no one would recoginze it standing for "Vietnamese". .02

Honda Inspire...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Inspire

From Wikipedia...
The Japan domestic market (JDM) is a term used to describe Japan's market for purchasing things, chiefly automobiles. A similar term, United States domestic market (USDM) is used to differentiate US-only products. Some people interpret "M" as model. The term also pertains to the parts and products only available within the specific local Marketplace. Therefore, unless you are in Japan, parts have to be specifically imported to your target nation. There are a variety of importers that bring in these parts and have now expanded what once was a JDM only product into other marketplaces.

In recent years the popularity of JDM auto parts within the United States has grown significantly as a result of the import tuning wave. Part of the reasoning behind this could be associated with drifting, a traditionally Asian motorsport to only recently make its way to U.S. soil. As a result it is often believed that Japanese companies, because of their experience in developing sports such as drifting have great experience with developing the capabilities of these cars; therefore being able to research design and test parts more well suited to the demands of the sport.

What also sets JDM parts aside from others is the fact that Japanese vehicles often differ in features and equipment from vehicles sold elsewhere. In the case of Honda specifically, there have been different versions of the famed Type R B18C, B16B and K20A engines which were sent to other markets. Typically export versions of JDM engines have been "detuned" or modified for lesser performance.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by kuni808
i think it just depends on what you are aiming for. i like the JDM style. considereing acura is Non exisitant in the other parts of the world. Only in US. but i like it cause it keeps people guessing what type of car is that? thats why i took off the 3.2 TL on mines. some people are asking me all the time. now if i changed all my emblems to a honda then they would be like ohh look its the newest honda haha. it just fun. plus its one of the cheapest exterior mods to do compared to the kit or wheels. ext. but its too each is own. i mean its like people on here that like chrome and dont. its all about being unique as stated above by so many.. i like it.

i think if people dont know what a tl is then they arnt worth talking to about imports you konw. its more than obvious what the car is without the emblem.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by maxxxboost
It's a JDM thing, in Japan there is no *Acura* so people in N/A or wherever want to change them emblems to the *ORIGINAL ORIGIN*

Personally i don't care, both are nice.

IMO Vzptnguyen, it's differnt but tacky. Not many people will understand that stands for Vietnamese, i'd hang something on my rear view mirror to rep my nationality but whatever, atleast it's a clean Job and not some 10' banner across the rear of the trunk.

its for my personal reference and for my friends to see. i dont care about what ppl think on the streets cuz i dont get to hear there opinion anyways. all my friends know cuz they all viets anyway.

but what the banner thing you say?

i have a front window shade thing and sewed the viet flag to it. ill post pics =]
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by randomthought
I don't think of Acura as a luxury line, but more of a Forced line to keep Honda from being too big in North America. It is Honda's luxury line, but I find it odd that they had to make that distinction.

Well, Honda actually created Acura (same as how Nissan created Infiniti and Toyota created Lexus) because most Americans looked down on Japanese car manufacturers. Japanese makes became big in the USA because of their superior practicality and economy. Neither of these traits is synonomous with luxury. In order to compete with the likes of BMW, Cadillac, and other luxury makes, they needed to create a new identity for their luxury line. Yes, Americans are that brand conscious and that status driven, even if us enthusiasts are not.

The same is true today. How many VW Phaetons do you see driving around? A8s? Practically the same car, or very comparable anyway. But people don't want to pay $80K for a VW when they can buy an Audi.

Marcus
Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Well, Honda actually created Acura (same as how Nissan created Infiniti and Toyota created Lexus) because most Americans looked down on Japanese car manufacturers. Japanese makes became big in the USA because of their superior practicality and economy. Neither of these traits is synonomous with luxury. In order to compete with the likes of BMW, Cadillac, and other luxury makes, they needed to create a new identity for their luxury line. Yes, Americans are that brand conscious and that status driven, even if us enthusiasts are not.

The same is true today. How many VW Phaetons do you see driving around? A8s? Practically the same car, or very comparable anyway. But people don't want to pay $80K for a VW when they can buy an Audi.

Marcus
yup yup!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I did the JDM conversion (most of it since I won't do the bodywork for the side-markers) ... I do get a lot of questions about the 'Inspire' (eg "Is this a new model? I just bought an Accord and didn't see it in the dealership...")

And when I explain it to them, they respond, "But isn't Acura a better name than Honda?" These people just don't get it. I won't say that just North Americans are brand conscious -- the whole world is brand conscious. In reality, a AV6 Accord and UA5 TL are virtually the same animal, less the engine, small intake/exhaust components and badging. The glass says "Honda", and all the engine part #s are Honda ... why does having "Acura" make it that much better? If you believe it is so then the marketers deserve their pay.

Lexus owners complained that the glass had 'Toyota' on it so they manufactured everything to say 'Lexus' on it. You pay that premium for those things to have it. Some people demand it -- but they end up paying for it in the end. Acura / Honda has decidedly defined themselves as the 'value conscious' make. That's why it will never be ranked among the 'elite' brands like BMW, MB, Lexus, etc...

But going back on topic ... badging can be rice (ie Type-R badging on a non-Type-R car) or nice (ie this is subjective ...) I think the Honda badging is nice since it makes my car unique.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

derrick, how did u change ur front end grill, i saw ur diy pics here, did u buy the parts from a dealer or what....

i pmed u on TAC boards u didnt respond..
Old 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well personally I would never consider putting a honda emblem on my Acura. I think thats just as silly as people getting those fake xenon headlights... a huge pet peeve of mine. But then again -- its all about personal preference. One man's passion is another man's poison.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I agree. I know that the split was a marketing issue, and a very successful one at that, but I still regard it as forced. Luxury lines are big money, and due to branding, honda and the like would not have stoof much of a chance. Friom a business point of view, it makes complete sense.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by PenancE
derrick, how did u change ur front end grill, i saw ur diy pics here, did u buy the parts from a dealer or what....

i pmed u on TAC boards u didnt respond..

www.aj-racing.com has the front grill replacement
Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

yea yea i know, buy derrick just replaced the outer grill and the emblem

aj sells the entire grill
Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by big mike 13
nice... makes my car stand out..
Your ghetto ass Honda

Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Comet2404
Well personally I would never consider putting a honda emblem on my Acura. I think thats just as silly as people getting those fake xenon headlights... a huge pet peeve of mine. But then again -- its all about personal preference. One man's passion is another man's poison.
i actually agree. not to hate on others that do it, its your car... do whatever the hell you want. i just think its kinda tacky. not so much with tl's, but unless youre going to do a full conversion... changing badges is just tacky. i see rsx's with an integra emblem... all of a sudden theyre "jdm".

honestly, even if i ever changed all the parts to make my car visually everything an inspire is, i still wouldnt change my emblems.

btw, that car^^^ looks clean as fuck. but the emblems do nothing for me...