Homelink system

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 04:07 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Homelink system

For some reason, I can't get the homelink to grab the code of the garage. I know my garage is rolling code. I tried doing it the normal way first, by putting the remote up to the button....but the red light kept blinking real slow...i held it for like almost a minute...and it stayed like that. I tried doing the training mode....push the button the on the garage, and i used the remote near the buttons again....nothing happen. Frankly, it's getting very annoying. What am I doing wrong?! I tried it with my god sister's Mercedes ML also....and it wouldn't take the code either! I gotta be doing something wrong. Help!
Old 02-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a rolling code and I remember that I had to mess with it to make it work. I forget exactly what I did but I remeber that I read the instructions a couple times and finally did it right and it worked. Sorry that this is so weak.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:40 AM
3rd Gear

Question

I was told specifically by my dealer that I would not be able to use the Homelink with my rolling code system. If anyone can tell us how, then I can get rid of my clunky remotes on my TL and S60.

That would be really helpful

Karlow
Old 02-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by karlow34
I was told specifically by my dealer that I would not be able to use the Homelink with my rolling code system. If anyone can tell us how, then I can get rid of my clunky remotes on my TL and S60.
That's bull. I got my homelink system to work with my rolling code opener.

You've got to read your garage door opener's manual to figure out how to do it. You cannot program a rolling code opener using just the remote.

Here's how I did it with my garage door opener:
  • First clear the onboard memory. Press and hold down the first and third homelink buttons simultaneously until the lights blink fast (about 90 secs).
  • Next, push the training button on your garage door opener--not the remote-- (mine is a white pushbutton next to the light bulb).
  • Within 30 seconds, push and hold down the desired homelink button on the car and wait for the flashing rate to change.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

Daverman is correct.

I had the same problem....took me a month to figure out.
I would give up before the blink rate changed.

The thing is to wait for the blink rate to change....I would always be giving up earlier before the Home Link learned the code, getting frusutrated.
Finally I just held the buttons down for what seemed for 2 minutes....and it worked.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Racer

Re: Daverman is correct.

Originally posted by batz maru
I had the same problem....took me a month to figure out.
I would give up before the blink rate changed.

The thing is to wait for the blink rate to change....I would always be giving up earlier before the Home Link learned the code, getting frusutrated.
Finally I just held the buttons down for what seemed for 2 minutes....and it worked.

Hope that helps.
It definitely works. Depending on the make, it might take longer to "learn" the code. My Genie worked fine.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Instructor

I have a Sears opener with rolling codes and was able to get it linked up with Homelink. I remember some folks saying to replace the batteries on the opener module before your try programming the Homelink. The theory was to get the maximum sending signal to the opener.

It did take some time, so be patient. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

mine took a little longer than anticipated WITHOUT rolling codes...

but i figured my battery was low, my moms garage door --- I couldn't get any of her remotes to program mine, so I just made her stand on a cooler and hold in the "program" button on the opener while i sat in the driveway in teh car, that worked fine
Old 02-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Advanced

I just followed the instructions in the manual and it worked fine (Genie rolling code system).

I am a little annoyed though that I have to hold down the button a little bit before it opens the door; the original remote opened instantly with just a press.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when programming the button inside the car, you might have to consistently repress the garage remote to reinitiate the signal...make sure to keep the homelink button depressed during this time! then do the learn mode.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Racer

Originally posted by daverman

That's bull. I got my homelink system to work with my rolling code opener.

Here's how I did it with my garage door opener:
  • First clear the onboard memory. Press and hold down the first and third homelink buttons simultaneously until the lights blink fast (about 90 secs).
  • Next, push the training button on your garage door opener--not the remote-- (mine is a white pushbutton next to the light bulb).
  • Within 30 seconds, push and hold down the desired homelink button on the car and wait for the flashing rate to change.
What he said, BUT, after clearing the memory, follow the instructions in the manual and then do the training button on the garage door (i got a Genie with the rolling code and it works)

OH, BTW, instead of holding the button down on the remote, press for 2 seconds and release, press for 2 seconds and release, etc etc, this should do the trick...