Home link not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 07:10 AM
RWD
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home link not working

I recently took delivery of a new TL-S and noticed the Home Link light doesn't function. I checked for a fuse, but was unable to locate one. Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert
Old 08-14-2001, 07:49 AM
FTM
Instructor

Its not working are you saying the little red light is not working when you push any of the 3 buttons?
If that is the case take it back to the dealership.
I have had no use for mine untill now my sister just moved into her new house with 2 car garage. My mother & I purchased the dishwaser & 2 Sears garage door openers as house warming gifts.I have not programed the Home Link yet but will do it this week while Iam here. The RED LIGHT does work in my car if I press any of the 3 buttons. Then you have to train the link with the garage openers.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Like FTM said, is it completely out (no red light when button is pressed) or it's not working (not learning frequency, etc). On my TL-S the Homelink works but the range on it sucks, I have to be right up to the garage door for it to transmit. I'm still using the actual garage door opener so that the door can open as I approach the door, go figure
Old 08-14-2001, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting, I wonder what affects the transmission strength (other than the obvious construction that the signal must penetrate). Mine works from the street before I hit the driveway, as a matter of fact it seems to work from a greater distance than the garage door opener does...
Old 08-14-2001, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a newer garage door opener that utilizes rolling codes? Rolling codes is where a different frequency is used every time you push the button. If so, there is a different learning procedure that is covered in detail in the manual.

I have an older garage door opener, so I had no problem. My brother just bought a brand new house and when he bought his MDX he complained that he couldn't get it to work. I just followed the steps in the manual and got it to work.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:28 PM
FTM
Instructor

Unhappy

I tried to train the Home Link awhile ago it did not work
I did the garage remote training 1st then I tried to do the opener training. This is a Sears Craftsman brand with rolling code. I think it got the remote at first but lost everything when I did opener.
It has the keyless entry pad & I lost the function to that as well as the garage remote. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2001, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally posted by FTM
I tried to train the Home Link awhile ago it did not work
I did the garage remote training 1st then I tried to do the opener training. This is a Sears Craftsman brand with rolling code. I think it got the remote at first but lost everything when I did opener.
It has the keyless entry pad & I lost the function to that as well as the garage remote. I will try again tomorrow.
Now that Iam home for a few days & this forum is back up.
I got Home Link working fine on each garage door. It took me about 3 min to reprogram the garage remote & keyless entry.
I then did the Home Link I did not follow instuctions the first time.
It took me a few min to do 1st door & the 2nd door was easy.
I also have a short range that the Link will open doors.
The working range is just before you tturn into driveway from street.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:29 PM

Robert,
I just took delivery of my TL Type S and faced the same problem. The salesman showed me in the showroom how easy it was to program, so I went home, pressed the button and it didn't work.

Well, I finally read the manaul to find out about the rolling codes. I have a Genie garage door open with Intellicode. The Acura manual was great and when I followed it step by step, it worked fine.

The trick on rolling codes is that you have to put your garage door open into "training mode" or "learning mode" as Genie's manual describes. When you do this, it works fine. Be sure you reset your codes on the Acura first as descibed in the maunal, then sync the button with your current garage door open second. Then follow the instructions on the Training mode.

One other thing ... I thought just push the Homelink button like a garage door button would work fine. What I found is that I have to hold the homelink button for about 2 seconds for my garage door to open.

Hope this helps ...

Hads
Old 08-18-2001, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

HomeLink

Like HADS stated, I need to hold my HomeLink button a couple of seconds. Works great from a surprising distance! When I got my TL-S in March, I had an old Stanley garage door opener. In July I installed a LiftMaster with rolling codes and used its manual for programming.
Old 08-19-2001, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that Iam home for a few days & this forum is back up.
I got Home Link working fine on each garage door. It took me about 3 min to reprogram the garage remote & keyless entry.
I then did the Home Link I did not follow instuctions the first time.
It took me a few min to do 1st door & the 2nd door was easy.
I also have a short range that the Link will open doors.
The working range is just before you tturn into driveway from street.
You're welcome.