Hit 130 with the TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit 130 with the TL-S

Sup guys,

I hit 130 with my headers and exhaust. Man engine still sounds good. No shaking or rattles. I was surpise. I think I could have push it more but the track was over

Mr.T
Old 07-21-2001, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

Sounds like you had fun letting your car strech its legs, its good to do that some times. I have never gone over 120 in a car before, was it exciting? Your car should be able to go faster, I believe it can go 147 stock. Not sure thats safe on the street, bad way to die. You mentioned a track. Was that on a race track or drag strip?

VG
Old 07-22-2001, 01:00 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit 147mph on my TL

Hit 147mph on a CL type S loaner

Hit 147mph on a 01' TL loaner

Hit 127mph on 98' eclipse

Hit 110mph on rental Impala, believe or not that is the top speed.

Hit 136mph on Infinity I30 girlfriend's loaner.

I love loaners..........
Old 07-22-2001, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Thumbs down

People who drive 147 mph in someone's loaner or in any car on the highway's are idiots. How would you like it if someone did that in your car while it was in the garage. You are going to kill yourself or worse someone else but I doubt if you have the sense to realize it.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

FWIW--how accurate do you think the speedometer is at those speeds (especially 120+ mph)? Speedometer errors are existant in just about any consumer car when travelling at 60 mph or more; the difference between indicated and actual speed is even greater at higher speeds. IOW--indicated speed does not usually truly reflect actual speed.

Heck, on my bike (stock CBR600 F4)--yes, a bike is not a car--the speedo indicated that I was going 165 mph but I know for a fact that I wasn't really going that fast because a stock F4 can't hit those speeds. Actual speed based on the GPS I had mounted on my bike (which records speeds more accurately than just about any car speedometer in normal conditions and also tracks maximum speed) was 151 mph.

Not that I'm saying that you guys are exaggerating your top speeds or anything, but if you really wanted to give proof of how fast you were going you should get a handheld GPS unit which can among other things accurately register maximum speed.

Also keep in mind that if you put even slightly smaller tires (most of the tire size upgrades I've seen on this board turn out to have slightly smaller circumferences than the stock size) your speedo will indicate even higher (in addition to the error already existant)than actual speed.

Tony
Old 07-22-2001, 01:38 PM
Retired MOD

I'm an Idiot then....

Originally posted by JetJock
People who drive 147 mph in someone's loaner or in any car on the highway's are idiots. How would you like it if someone did that in your car while it was in the garage. You are going to kill yourself or worse someone else but I doubt if you have the sense to realize it.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bitium
Hit 147mph on my TL

I love loaners..........
Like the other poster said ----- WHY? WHY endanger your life as well as others driving at these speeds? Probably see you weaving in a out of cars on the highways.

What hits home is someone screwing with your car when you have it valet or at a parking garage in the city. Joy rides by others in your car, will just drive you crazy.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:22 PM
O.G.

Don't feel bad Bitium, I've hit 147 mph in my TL also when it was stock.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:34 PM
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bitium
[B]I'm an Idiot then....:

:p when driving up to 147
Old 07-22-2001, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Hit 147mph on my TL

I love loaners..........
Hell yes! Loaners are cool! What's cooler is that you borrow a buddy's car and do it. You don't even have to pay for it.

:sarcastic:
Old 07-22-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro

Not to mention that in most states if you were clocked at those speeds, you're facing the loss of license, possible jail time, and sky high insurance rates for the next four years...
Old 07-22-2001, 10:54 PM
Racer

You might also spill your beer going that fast...

Response to self:

What an irresponsible and childish thing to say! Safety is no laughing matter!

Response back:

Lighten up a-hole, I'm just kidding.

No more responses necessary...
Old 07-23-2001, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Wash n Wax
You might also spill your beer going that fast...

Response to self:

What an irresponsible and childish thing to say! Safety is no laughing matter!

Response back:

Lighten up a-hole, I'm just kidding.

No more responses necessary...
Old 07-23-2001, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Talking

Im an Idiot to… so then..

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!
Old 07-23-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro

Unhappy

Well, a lot of us have done stupid things before. I once took my 1971 Road Runner over 150 mph in the middle of the night, in the middle of the Nevada desert. At least if I was going to crash and kill myself, I wasn't taking anybody with me. It was quite a buzz driving that fast. I have never even come close to that since!
Old 07-24-2001, 12:07 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm an Idiot then....

Me Too!

Speed is not a guarantee of death! Otherwise we would have 10's of thousands of deaths daily. I would be dead more times than I can count. I've driven over a 1000 miles at speeds over 90MPH and 100s of miles a speeds of 100MPH+. Many of them leagally! :P

The key is if your going to do it make sure you do it under the best of conditions. Roads, traffic, car, driver, etc.

BTW - all time top speed was in excess of 150MPH. Could have been 160+ but since we were using a stopwatch and mile markers as our means of measurement, I can be certain.

Fastest in my TLS, around 120.

RUF
Old 07-24-2001, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Ruf87

Speed is not a guarantee of death! Otherwise we would have 10's of thousands of deaths daily. RUF

Very true, there is a big difference between driving fast and driving stupid.

The problem is that once you get past 90-100mph on most American roads, the line is blurred (pardon the pun) and it doesn't take much for something bad to happen.

This is why a lot of states consider this kind of speed reckless driving - even if you're all alone.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:26 AM
AC
Drifting

Hell I hit close to 170mph in my friend's 98 Dodge Viper GTS. Didn't realize how fast I was going till I noticed the lane lines moving past me like bullets. BTW, this was at 4:00 AM on a Sunday and I saw maybe 10 cars on this 3 mile stretch. Funny thing is, this Camry V6 was actually trying race me. Also, hit close to 150 in my 540i, over 130 in my TL, and so on and so on. I'm not saying I'm cool, but some of us just like driving fast and get a thrill out of speed. I can't wait for the M5 cuz BMW is gonna send me free of charge down to Spartansburg,SC for an M5 driving course. After that, about 1 year later I think I will do the Skip Barber thing. Drive safely everyone!
Old 07-24-2001, 09:50 AM
Advanced

Whenever you go over the speed limit, you're not only breaking the law, but you're breaking the speed by which cars can be driven "safely." Why brag about speedin' on the highway? Seems it's always the guy with the largest amount of immaturity.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:57 AM

I figured a 55k car was made to drive at insane speeds, that's why I raced a M5 to 150+ mph (and he was doing like 170 mph, smoked me).......

Honestly, an expericed driver should be able to drive how fast he/she wants.

Experieced driver not only a good driver, but knows their car extremely well and it is properly maintained.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Great idea to do the driving school thing. One thing they will teach you is that the place to go fast is on a track not on the highway with people of all level's of driving skill's. Maybe you are the best driver on the road but remember the other guy may be some 16 year old who has no skill at all. The public highway's are no place to drive 170mph!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 09:59 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by TLHottie
Whenever you go over the speed limit, you're not only breaking the law, but you're breaking the speed by which cars can be driven "safely." Why brag about speedin' on the highway? Seems it's always the guy with the largest amount of immaturity.
There's two different school of thoughst here. I agree with you 100%. But ALL of us here break the law. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone here at one point or another has gone above the speed limit. No one here is bragging or trying to be "cool", at least I'm not. I just posted an experience from the past. I haven't gone over 110mph in a very very long time. It may be just me but I always drive around 80 mph as an average.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:19 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by TLHottie
i've had this argument with some other folks on this forum some months ago as well. going fast does not make u less or more mature. nor does it give u an ego boost. some people like to do it, others dont. but start talking about our cars being driven "safely" and ur getting into an argument u're likely to lose. our cars are "safely" designed to go 147mph, therefore the electronic speed limit at that speed and the 149mph tire rating. unless u've never broken the speed limit dont assume that what u did is any safer than what others are doing. people who tend to go to these exterme speeds tend to know their cars a lot better than those that never exceed a 65mph speed limit. we also tend to be a lot more observant on the road, unlike people who drive with the group and assume they are safe to talk on the phone, do some sightseeing or just sit back and relax. finally, noone here is bragging. this is a forum where we share ideas and experinces. if u dont like seeing this, dont read these topics, otherwise think carefully before accusing others of immaturity.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:33 AM
AC
Drifting

This topic will open up a whole new can of worms. I feel you Zodiak and I feel exactly the same way. I may not be the best driver but I sure feel like I know my car VERY well or I would never hit those speeds. For example, I would nevef take my brother's Expedition and go over 70 cuz I don't know if the truck will flip or what and I don't know how well it can change lanes, etc.
I do feel like I know my TL and my 540 and again, I wasn't trying to be cool, I was just posting my experience. And yes I normally ALWAYS drive above the speed limit.

Also, I can't wait to take the real driving school. Who knows, it may change my perspective on fast driving since I heard that it does.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Cool dudes, good debate goin' on.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:01 PM
Retired MOD

I only hit those speeds on very good road conditions and at a time where less than 5% of the highway is occupied. Trust me the car could handle that speed with no problem. The first time I hit 150mph it was in an isolated highway going to Okeechobee Lake, 100% visibility for miles. You are most likely to be killed on an intersection by another driver than 200mph on an almost empty highway. Plus I didn't drive for hours at that speed it just for a couple of seconds sometimes minutes, is just a good experience. Another thing, it is true that highways were design to be driving at the speed they set, which it would be 65,70mph. They set that speed because they don't know what kind of car would be driving in that road, so the spec has to be set for any car from a 20 year old van to new Ferrari F350. All the rules apply for any car. Is like the signs that say 15mph on the curve, well you know a truck would have to go 15mph an average car would go 30pmh, a sports car would go 50mph. They are not going to put up a sign saying:

car-a 15mph
car-b 20mph
car-c 30mph
car-x 100mph
etc

neither they are going to test every car in the world to see how it handles. So in conclussion speed limits are not made for every car, but to the farsthest safest extend an average car should go.

Then if you add the drivers factor and the road conditions factor then it gets even more complicated.

So in conclussion the speed limits set does not always qualify for you, sad but true.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:13 PM
Racer

All I wanted to do was tell how the car handle :p I know a honda accord lx started to shake when hitting 110 and the motor sound pretty crazy. All I got to say is I'm not going to change my driving habits just because sombody here thinks they know what's best for the world. So post as you like but it won't make a difference to me. It's like getting a ticket. Nobody never has 1. Plus it's not the fast driver you have to worry about. It's the people who don't look under over shoulder when changing lanes. People who go to the fast lane and drive the speed limit which cause traffic. People who think just because they signal they can change lanes. Talk on the cell phone(hate that the most). People who brake cause they need to change lanes and exit. Dayam there is too many. California sucks :P

Mr.T
Old 07-24-2001, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, if going fast isn't an ego thing or doing so for bragging rights or whatever, why mention exactly how fast you were going? It seems like from what I've read here, no one would blink an eye if you said you drove your car 110-120 mph; I mean, you don't hear anyone saying "Hey, I hit 110 in my (whatever car here)!" Lemme see--I see someone claiming 147; another claiming 150; and another person claiming almost 170. If you ask me, it almost sorta looks like a pi**ing contest. Is someone else gonna pipe in and say that they hit 185+ on a Hayabusa?

C'mon, admit it--there is a bit of ego or boasting involved when it comes to telling people how fast you were going; why else would you mention it to this board? I mean, you wouldn't walk up to a cop and tell him that you just hit 147 in your TL-S (or whatever car) now, would ya?

As far as whether people are crazy for driving that fast--well, did any of you hear about the guy who got busted for doing 160 in a 40 on his motorcycle? Now, that's crazy. And BTW--he was fined $500, got 30 days in jail, and got his license suspended for a year.

Don't take this all personal or anything; I'm just messing with ya!

Tony
Old 07-25-2001, 01:13 AM
Retired MOD

Talking

Originally posted by tdoh
C'mon, admit it--there is a bit of ego or boasting involved when it comes to telling people how fast you were going; why else would you mention it to this board? I mean, you wouldn't walk up to a cop and tell him that you just hit 147 in your TL-S (or whatever car) now, would ya?
I actually did. I show the cop a ticket going over 115mph. He pull me over going 80mph, I said I'm not going fast look this is going fast, I show him the ticket . He let me go.

Of course there is ego, there is an ego just for f##king dealing with life.

I'm an ego maniac.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the following:

125mph in my '93 Vigor on a lonely stretch of highway in downstate Illinois. It was running out of breath at 120. I turned off the air and chickened out at 125. Was afraid of getting thrown in jail for "felony speeding :-)

125mph in my wife's old '93 Mazda MX-6 V6, on I-94 just before the Illinois/Wisconsin border. That was a quick car

Have yet to open up my TL, I think 90 was the fastest so far.

By the way, I only hit these speeds when there aren't any cars near me and I can't hurt anyone but myself.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man, I wish I had my TL-S (or even riding my bike) when I was out in Death Valley a few months back. There are stretches of road out there that is straight as an arrow and go for miles; the difference between these roads and freeways such as I-5 in California is that there is hardly any traffic on the desert roads, which BTW don't run totally flat. What I mean by this is that on such a road you can see if there are any vehicles in front of you for miles, whereas on a straight but flat road you can probably see at most 3/4 of a mile. Very important if you're looking out for cops coming in the other direction.

Tony
Old 07-26-2001, 08:06 AM
AC
Drifting

Well, if going fast isn't an ego thing or doing so for bragging rights or whatever, why mention exactly how fast you were going? It seems like from what I've read here, no one would blink an eye if you said you drove your car 110-120 mph; I mean, you don't hear anyone saying "Hey, I hit 110 in my (whatever car here)!" Lemme see--I see someone claiming 147; another claiming 150; and another person claiming almost 170. If you ask me, it almost sorta looks like a pi**ing contest. Is someone else gonna pipe in and say that they hit 185+ on a Hayabusa?

As far as whether people are crazy for driving that fast--well, did any of you hear about the guy who got busted for doing 160 in a 40 on his motorcycle? Now, that's crazy. And BTW--he was fined $500, got 30 days in jail, and got his license suspended for a year.

Don't take this all personal or anything; I'm just messing with ya!

Tony
Rather that an ego trip, you thought that it could have simply been "I'd like to see what this thing is made of and see how fast it can go"

Just a thought, and BTW no offense take by your comment.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always liked to drive fast, but I grew up in Chicago and there really isn't anywhere to do that without risking the lives of others. Not to mention that the congestion around here doesn't afford yoou the opportunity to "open her up".

Don't get me wrong, I hate when I'm driving along on the expressway, there are quite a few cars on the road, and you see a couple of idiots flying and weaving around cars, passing on the right and in some cases on the shoulder. All it takes is someone making an errant lane change and now you have a major pile-up. The guy doing 160 in a 40 was just plain stupid (IMO). The fact that the limit was 40 tells me that it was a an urban road with intersections and pedestrians nearby. At 160 there is no way he could react to someone cutting in front of him or trying to beat him across an intersection. Doing 160 on that road versus the guy driving through Death Valley with no traffic are two entirely different scenarios.

I personally don't deviate much more than 10mph (depending on traffic) on local roads. It's when I get on an expressway, there's no one around, I have a clear view ahead of me, that I like to test my car, after all there aren't many tracks around here to be able to do that. I don't drive around with a sign that says "I drove 125mph!". Someone asked, and I answered.

No offense taken here either.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

i've had this argument with some other folks on this forum some months ago as well. going fast does not make u less or more mature. nor does it give u an ego boost. some people like to do it, others dont. but start talking about our cars being driven "safely" and ur getting into an argument u're likely to lose. our cars are "safely" designed to go 147mph, therefore the electronic speed limit at that speed and the 149mph tire rating. unless u've never broken the speed limit dont assume that what u did is any safer than what others are doing. people who tend to go to these exterme speeds tend to know their cars a lot better than those that never exceed a 65mph speed limit. we also tend to be a lot more observant on the road, unlike people who drive with the group and assume they are safe to talk on the phone, do some sightseeing or just sit back and relax. finally, noone here is bragging. this is a forum where we share ideas and experinces. if u dont like seeing this, dont read these topics, otherwise think carefully before accusing others of immaturity.
You're argument is irrational. How many people do you think die going 5 mph? It's a fact that your chances of serious injury or dieing in an accident increase as your speed increases. And to say "people who tend to go to these exterme speeds tend to know their cars a lot better than those that never exceed a 65mph speed limit" is silly and has no factual basis whatsoever. I could say people that tend to drive high speeds tend to be younger(teens and early 20's) and tend to be males. This group has the highest fatality rate. To also say "we also tend to be a lot more observant on the road" is yet another nonfactual silly statement. To say that people that break the law and speed are better drivers and more observant of the road and know there cars better than the rest of us is irrational. You're arguments are not based on fact. They are just your opinion. The fact is the faster you drive the greater your chances of death and there is no way of disputing that.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:39 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Steveb

You're argument is irrational. How many people do you think die going 5 mph? It's a fact that your chances of serious injury or dieing in an accident increase as your speed increases. And to say "people who tend to go to these exterme speeds tend to know their cars a lot better than those that never exceed a 65mph speed limit" is silly and has no factual basis whatsoever. I could say people that tend to drive high speeds tend to be younger(teens and early 20's) and tend to be males. This group has the highest fatality rate. To also say "we also tend to be a lot more observant on the road" is yet another nonfactual silly statement. To say that people that break the law and speed are better drivers and more observant of the road and know there cars better than the rest of us is irrational. You're arguments are not based on fact. They are just your opinion. The fact is the faster you drive the greater your chances of death and there is no way of disputing that.
fact: speed laws vary from state to state, from highway to highway. if ur driving 65 in NJ, ur following speed limit. if ur driving 65 in NY, ur breaking the speed limit by 15mph. are NJ drivers better than NY? what is a "safe" speed on an open four lane highway? that also varies from car to car and driver to driver. look at some of the accidents, ferrari is smashed going 70mph... how many times have u seen one saying bmw or mb smashed going 140 on the highway? speed does not kill, stupidity does. most people who drive stupidly with excessive speed, whatever that means, die. those who dont tend to be much better drivers - that is my opinion. smart driving is necessary at any speed 5-155mph. and again, "excessive" speed is very subjective. some people say 50, some say 80, others say no more than 110. i say u do what u feel confident doing. and finally, once again, why is it that in europe u can drive on the autobahns with no speed limit using a 120hp box car, but here a fully functional sports car cannot go past 50?
Old 07-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Racer

phewww... can we say... "the fast and the furious"?
Old 07-27-2001, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

fact: speed laws vary from state to state, from highway to highway. if ur driving 65 in NJ, ur following speed limit. if ur driving 65 in NY, ur breaking the speed limit by 15mph. are NJ drivers better than NY? what is a "safe" speed on an open four lane highway? that also varies from car to car and driver to driver. look at some of the accidents, ferrari is smashed going 70mph... how many times have u seen one saying bmw or mb smashed going 140 on the highway? speed does not kill, stupidity does. most people who drive stupidly with excessive speed, whatever that means, die. those who dont tend to be much better drivers - that is my opinion. smart driving is necessary at any speed 5-155mph. and again, "excessive" speed is very subjective. some people say 50, some say 80, others say no more than 110. i say u do what u feel confident doing. and finally, once again, why is it that in europe u can drive on the autobahns with no speed limit using a 120hp box car, but here a fully functional sports car cannot go past 50?
If a professional driver is traveling 150 mph and blows a tire what do you think is going to happen? The chances of a severe accident are pretty good and that accident would have nothing to do with stupidity. That's just one example of how speed can kill.

The reason why you don't see Bimmers or mb's smashed from going 140mph is because only a very small fraction of the population actually goes that fast.(If I had to guess I would say less than.05%!)

It's my opinion that driving 150 mph on any street is not smart driving.(Go to a race track!) I think the vast majority of rational people would agree with that. I don't care if you're out in the country and you don't see any other cars on the road. You never know when a bum or a hitchhiker is crossing the road. Someone's car could have broken down and that person might be crossing the road to get help and splat! Of course that could happen going 70 but you have a much better chance of avoiding those accidents.

It's safer to go fast on the autobahns because people expect traffic to be moving fast. By the way, there's no more accidents on the autobahns than here. However, when there is an accident the death rate is much higher because speed does kill. Even the best drivers get into accidents.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I'm not against anyone saying that they went 140 or whatever in their TL-S, but when people start saying that they went 150 in a BMW 5-series or 170 in a Viper--well, I dunno about you guys but it seems like it had become a battle of who can go the fastest, period. Wasn't this particular thread about someone who went 130 in a TL-S , not how fast you've gone?

This is a TL-S forum, is it not? Keep the BMW/Lexus/Audi/other non-TL-S vehicle stuff somewhere else!

Just kidding, of course...

Tony
Old 07-27-2001, 11:11 PM

Question

I always thought that sudden deceleration to 0 mph would be more dangerous than 147 mph, but hey, that's just me
Old 07-27-2001, 11:18 PM
Racer

Well, I'm not against anyone saying that they went 140 or whatever in their TL-S, but when people start saying that they went 150 in a BMW 5-series or 170 in a Viper--well, I dunno about you guys but it seems like it had become a battle of who can go the fastest, period. Wasn't this particular thread about someone who went 130 in a TL-S , not how fast you've gone?

This is a TL-S forum, is it not? Keep the BMW/Lexus/Audi/other non-TL-S vehicle stuff somewhere else!

Just kidding, of course...

Tony
LOL

Quick Reply: Hit 130 with the TL-S