Hidden Menu on Nav/Gyroscopic error

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hidden Menu on Nav/Gyroscopic error

I tried to search for this topic, as I know it has come up before, but the search function seems crippled or I'm using bad keywords. Anyway, what is the key sequence to get into the hidden setup menu on the nav?

Also, there was a user who said they modified their gyroscopic tolerances to correct for turning errors in the system. What were the tolerances?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
After you press "OK" on the disclaimer page, press Menu, then Map, the Cancel and hold them for 3 seconds. As far s the gyro error thing goes, I have no clue.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:56 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by thephantom
After you press "OK" on the disclaimer page, press Menu, then Map, the Cancel and hold them for 3 seconds. As far s the gyro error thing goes, I have no clue.
That doesn't seem to work for me. I have a '02 tls.

amcl
Old 07-02-2001, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by amcl

That doesn't seem to work for me. I have a '02 tls.

amcl
I have a 02 S as well. Trust me, it will work. I had problems with it in the beginning but you have to press each button INDIVIDUALLY! Try it out.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:34 PM
Instructor

I have an '02 TL-S too. Here's what you do:

Turn ignition to ON. (No need to start the engine but it works while running too.)

Press OK on the Disclaimer screen. (Important!)

Press and HOLD the MENU button.

While still holding the MENU button, press and HOLD the MAP/GUIDE button.

While still holding those two buttons, Press and HOLD the CANCEL button.

You should be pressing and HOLDING all three buttons at the same time.

Wait 3-5 seconds and the "Diagnosis Murder err...Menu" should display.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-02-2001, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by thephantom

I have a 02 S as well. Trust me, it will work. I had problems with it in the beginning but you have to press each button INDIVIDUALLY! Try it out.
It seems like i had to press and depress them sequentially before finally holding all 3 down for 3 seconds.

Now if ONLY somebody could give us info on what to do with most of the options listed!!!... like "tire calibration"??????

amcl
Old 07-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Now if ONLY somebody could give us info on what to do with most of the options listed!!!... like "tire calibration"??????

amcl
I agree!!
Old 07-02-2001, 10:18 PM
Drifting

OK, long post follows...

Here's what I've figured out on my 02 TLS:

The "tire calibration" option basically calibrates tire revolutions to distance. The Navi basically counts the pulses that are generated when your tires rotate (the VSS or "Vehicle Speed Sensor" signal) and translates it to horizontal distance traveled. You don't have to manually adjust this setting as the calibration is adaptive. That is, the Navi will gradually calibrate your setting as you drive around.

The only time that you need to change your tire calibration is when you change the size of your wheel. But even then the Navi will eventually catch up with you, so just leave it alone.

The Yaw Rate adjustment adjusts the Navi's response to the yaw rate sensors (gyros). These sensors return a variable voltage based on your turn rate. Most sensors have a bunch of jitter and asymmetric sensitivity (more sensitive one way than the other), and these adjustments allow you to compensate for them.

There are two adjustments: CCW (Counterclockwise - Left turns) and CW(Clockwise - Right turns). Adjusting the sensitivity towards the positive increases the sensitivity in that direction, and adjusting it towards the negative decreases (dampens) it.

There is a lot of jitter associated with the yaw rate sensors, so you always want to have negative (dampened) sensitivity. Positive sensitivity will cause your present direction to jiggle and waffle as you drive.

So how much dampening is enough? It should be just enough to keep your car icon tracking straight roads without jiggling about. I've found that about -1.4% is a good start on my unit. Set both CW and CCW to the same amount and drive around. On straight roads, your icon's direction should be steady and not jittering left and right.

Now to compensate left and right turn sensitivity, drive a straight road that has a right-angle turn (such as at an intersection). Make sure your icon is aligned straight as you approach the intersection. Make a 90-degree turn into the intersecting road. Your icon should track perfectly at the corner and you should end up heading precisely straight down the intersecting road. If your icon didn't turn far enough, adjust your compensation value towards the positive end. If your icon turned too far, adjust your compensation to be more negative.

That's it so far! I found that my TL tracks perfectly with the setting of CCW -1.3%, CW -1.5% (i.e. my Navi has a right-turning tendency). For the record, the car came with the adjustment at -1.0%/-1.0%. The icon jittered incessantly as I drove down the road. I took it to Superior for servicing and they hadn't had the first clue as to what to do! Thank goodness I'm a snoop and I've owned an Alpine Navi (basically the same) before!

Oh yeah: don't be too trigger-happy with the adjustment. Adjust no more than 0.1% at a time, and allow time for the system to readjust. Also, don't forget to press the Set button after each adjustment.

I plan to play around with the color settings, although I haven't been able to make the settings stick. I wonder what the point of those settings is?

The Force Download button forces the Navi to reload the software image in the DVD into its Flash memory. There shouldn't be a need for you to do this, but it's harmless as long as your DVD contains the same software version as your Navi. I discovered that I inadvertently replaced my v2.04 software in the Navi with v2.03 on the DVD. Oops!

The rest of the stuff is pretty straightforward... please let me know if you discover a way to make the color settings stick. I find the route highlighting a little difficult to see against some backgrounds, and I'd love to change it.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman
OK, long post follows...

I plan to play around with the color settings, although I haven't been able to make the settings stick. I wonder what the point of those settings is?

I want the colors I choose to "stick" too. I'll see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:57 AM
Advanced

Crap! I did the force download thing. Now how do i find out what version software i have loaded?

amcl

OK, long post follows...

The Force Download button forces the Navi to reload the software image in the DVD into its Flash memory. There shouldn't be a need for you to do this, but it's harmless as long as your DVD contains the same software version as your Navi. I discovered that I inadvertently replaced my v2.04 software in the Navi with v2.03 on the DVD. Oops!

Old 07-03-2001, 07:25 AM
Instructor

amcl -- Press 'Setup', 'Other', then 'Information'.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Nick
amcl -- Press 'Setup', 'Other', then 'Information'.
OMG!! It's now version 2.03. I think i had v2.05. bahhh, that's what i get for messing around.

amcl
Old 07-03-2001, 09:12 PM
Drifting

OMG!! It's now version 2.03. I think i had v2.05. bahhh, that's what i get for messing around.

amcl
Hee hee, yeah, welcome to the club. Has anyone documented what the difference is between the versions?
Old 07-03-2001, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Hee hee, yeah, welcome to the club. Has anyone documented what the difference is between the versions?
I believe the latest version is 2.04 and is merely a maintenance release for the MDX. It provides no new features or new mapped areas (over 2.03.)

The big release is set for this Fall with more mapped areas and is rumored to have new features (but I have no idea what those would be.)

This is what my dealer told me anyway.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Unhappy Navi Switched out!

"Life begins when you Type S"
A few weeks back I told you guys about the problems I was having with my NAVI screen showing double. I took it back and they replaced the DVD player in the trunk with one out of a 2001 TL that the dealer was using (my car is a 2002, obviously). Now the marker that represents my car on the road, has a hard time staying on the road from time to time. If I turn a corner, it'll show me in a field and say "not on digitized road". It never did that with the original system. Did they make improvement with the system for 2002?
Old 07-05-2001, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

Has any tried to read the DVD from the nav on a computer? I wonder if we can extract the software/firmware from that and burn it into a regular cdrom. Hopefully, the Nav console can read cdroms so that we can force update to the latest version.

amcl