HID low beam flicker on left turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID low beam flicker on left turns

The passenger side low beam flickers on left turns and leftward movements. Sometimes it goes out completely. Comes right back on after I flip the light Off - On once. Doesn't seem to flicker very much on bumps but driving in a counterclockwise circle in a parking lot will do this

The driver's side was replaced last year: OEM ballast and ignitor, both bulbs with Kaixens were replaced last year. When the drivers side it never flickered it just went out and was dead. Anybody have this problem before...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
several of us recently actually!!

most are solving with a new ballast kit from hidextra.com or hidconcepts --as good product from azine sponsors to ck out
Your Kaixen bulbs should be ok, but get the `kit` ballast- capacitor/connector wire and Waterproof ballast,, you can mount to the frame rail -- with new bulbs as backups

there is a moisture issue with the ballast and with its `controller` box, also mounted to the back of the housing
If you have moisture inside the lens that is a starting point of your problem

best best--the dealer mentality actually works here-- but at aftermarket prices
When in doubt- rip it all out!! and replace with new!!
But get better and way cheaper than OE

add the special relay kit $16, to provide battery power direct to the ballast-
for better performance and eliminate possible issues within the acura electricals~
and you will still be well under 100 dollars shipped to your door, even in Canada!!
look for coupons online too
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Advanced

The HIDextras look like a great deal...almost too good to be true.
Does the rear cap on the light housing have to be drilled through to install them?

How does their quality compare to the OE ballast?
I didnt' notice water in the headlights, but I'm pretty sure it's the flickers are caused by a bad ballast. The cost of a kit and a clean used OE ballast are pretty close.

The driver's side ballast is a "exactly" 1 year old and I waterproofed it real good. I would probably keep the driver side OE while converting the passenger side to HIDextra > would having different sides create electrical /wiring issues?

How hard is it to install the relay kit?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
several of us recently actually!!

most are solving with a new ballast kit from hidextra.com or hidconcepts --as good product from azine sponsors to ck out
Your Kaixen bulbs should be ok, but get the `kit` ballast- capacitor/connector wire and Waterproof ballast,, you can mount to the frame rail -- with new bulbs as backups

there is a moisture issue with the ballast and with its `controller` box, also mounted to the back of the housing
If you have moisture inside the lens that is a starting point of your problem

best best--the dealer mentality actually works here-- but at aftermarket prices
When in doubt- rip it all out!! and replace with new!!
But get better and way cheaper than OE

add the special relay kit $16, to provide battery power direct to the ballast-
for better performance and eliminate possible issues within the acura electricals~
and you will still be well under 100 dollars shipped to your door, even in Canada!!
look for coupons online too
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

you remove the rear round cap on the housing to access the bulb and its power lead
thats a torx #20 Security screw holding the cover, or a dremel blade turns it into a flat blade fitting in a hurry~
You will need to expand a current hole in housing for the new bulb lead - its thicker wire
I used a file and cut a small V in the edge.

they sell the parts in however many you need, 1 side or 2,,
get 1 ballast 1 connector wire (needed for their ballast) and 1 relay kit
or both if its a savings and you have backups

the relay kit is simple and hooking it to the new and old ballast will be fine
There is a slight possibilty of different volts or resisitance whatevers, between stock and OE ballast
provides power direct from the battery and has its own relay and fuse
to protect the system- while bypassing the stock relay = makes things work right

In my opinion its better than OE for the reasons of waterproof, vibration dampened, able to remote locate as desired, slip the extra wiring under the housing as it slides into place- mount the ballast to a frame rail with zip ties..done..and way cheaper

so far its all good,,and as I say-- if it last a few years for that price, I will be happy!
mine get used for daytime lights more than actual night driving, but the 5k color and output has been good during a few hours on the freeway ~late at night~ on the way to the track

its my guess, based on reading,--hidextra may be associated with or the actual parts maker/importer, or are the first in line of people buying factory direct,,and other sellers buy from them, add 180% - 400% to the price,, and smile!
ck online for reviews and coupon codes

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 10-03-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey just looking for a follow up to this solution. How did HIDextras work out? I'm having the same issue of flickering when cornering, on both sides. I replaced one ballast/ignitor set (with OE) and both bulbs (with Kaixens) about 4 years ago.

Is it worth doing their kit or should I just try replacing the bulbs?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

get the kit if you expect to fix the problem
The following users liked this post:
jblessing (04-19-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced

You have the same problems I had. The driver side went out and I replaced with OE. 1 year later, the Left side started flickering. Old corroded ballast do not like corners and bumps.
The HIDextra kit and it fixed the flicker. Light quality is just as good as new OE. Bulbs were never the problem. In fact my original bulbs still work.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

your 10 year old oe bulbs may still work--

but they have lost a lot of color rendering and most important- lumens output--
the actual amount of light on the road for you to see with

I ran one side oe ballast/kaixen bulb and other side hidextra for months,,
now the diminished output and sometimes goes off --has reached the left side--
time to get the car ramps out and finish the job~