HID light not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID light not working

Hello
I have an Acura TL 2003 and its driver side headlights are not working. I have taken it to multiple auto repair shops and each one is telling different reasons like hid light is not working or ballast is not working and they are quoting more than 200$ for the repair. Also earlier only the low beam light was not working but after these multiple checkups the high beam light as well as the passenger side high beam light is not working as well. I see a little moisture inside the headlights on the driver side. I am very bad with cars. Please advise whom can I approach to get the perfect advise and repair.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I understand correctly, your passenger side lights are working correctly, but the driver side lights are not.

I will post below a link on how to "install new" lights, however, what i would recommend that is do is this.

Follow the instructions, pull the light out of the driver side. (Use clean gloves,or handle very carefully with a new paper towel. Place the bulb on a very clean surface. The objective is to not contaminate the bulb with the natural oils from your fingers). Then pull out the passenger side bulb following the same procedure. Make sure you know which one is which. Place the bulb from the driver side in to the socket of the passenger side lamp.

Light Em' Up.

If it turns on: bad wiring or ballast is gone. Hopefully you know someone good with electronics to test it out and find the problem.

If it does not: bad bulb. replace it. (easy as you have it out anyway)

Ah, I nearly forgot. This link should be relevant to your interests.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/replacing-headlights-2000-acura-tl-604153/

Last edited by BetterBob; 12-24-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Lightbulb Headlamp not working......

Originally Posted by snehal
Hello
I have an Acura TL 2003 and its driver side headlights are not working.

I have taken it to multiple auto repair shops and each one is telling different reasons like hid light is not working or ballast is not working and they are quoting more than 200$ for the repair.

Also earlier only the low beam light was not working but after these multiple checkups the high beam light as well as the passenger side high beam light is not working as well.

I see a little moisture inside the headlights on the driver side.
Welcome Snehal !!!

If you've already had several shops inspect the headlight problem and they all have a different diagnosis, pick the most honest one to work on your car. Read up and inform yourself by checking out past threads and the "DIY" sticky.

More than likely, the moisture is what has caused the headlights to fail. The headlamp may need to be resealed and the connections checked for corrosion. The OEM hid setup is prone to issues when moisture gets in to the components. Check the fuses and if ok consider replacing the HID setup with an aftermarket kit. They are cheaper new technology and also water resistant.

If you're not car "DIY" savvy, find a local automotive electronics specialty shop to install the new replacement kit for ya. For $200, they should be able to supply and install a replacement kit for you.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
geez guys---59 dollars to www.hidextra.com one of our trusted vendor sponsors
for a complete new setup
our moisture issues are well known on here--simply look thru list for hid prob or hid replacement
get 35 watt ballast and 5000k bulb color

hi beam is a regular cheap type bulb but also killed by moisture
a new one will fix that prob
do a cheapie reseal on headlights with clear silicone on the seal--maybe even clear flex seal, that stuff is amazing at finding and fixing any leak
cover glass lens with tape to protect!
you have to remove complete headlight housings (pop nose off car-easy) to install new ballast system
can leave old one installed and remote mount new waterproof parts!
see diy on replacement
a shop will charge 1.5 to 2 hours for this
aftermarket parts beat oe for this and all new setup fixes all problems
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
geez guys---59 dollars to www.hidextra.com one of our trusted vendor sponsors
for a complete new setup
our moisture issues are well known on here--simply look thru list for hid prob or hid replacement
get 35 watt ballast and 5000k bulb color

hi beam is a regular cheap type bulb but also killed by moisture
a new one will fix that prob
do a cheapie reseal on headlights with clear silicone on the seal--maybe even clear flex seal, that stuff is amazing at finding and fixing any leak
cover glass lens with tape to protect!
you have to remove complete headlight housings (pop nose off car-easy) to install new ballast system
can leave old one installed and remote mount new waterproof parts!
see diy on replacement
a shop will charge 1.5 to 2 hours for this
aftermarket parts beat oe for this and all new setup fixes all problems

And WILL be doing this..
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Look man before you spend any money go through my check list.

Check your fuse box for a blown headlight fuse *this has happened to me before, i thought it was my ballast, igniters, or bulbs that were blown, i was going crazy until my friend told me to check the fuse, low and behold it was blown, replaced it and the lights worked again.

Check Fuse
Check Harness
Check Ballasts/Bulbs/Igniters *swap from the side that does work

hopefully you can fix it on your own and save money!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

Hello I bought an aftermarket kit and took it to a local mechanic for replacing the lowbeam ballast but he is saying the power connector of the ballast is not fitting with that of the aftermarket kit. Please advise.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
4th Gear

Hello I bought an aftermarket kit and took it to a local mechanic for replacing the lowbeam ballast but he is saying the power connector of the ballast is not fitting with that of the aftermarket kit. Please advise.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
You have to splice into the oem connectors, that should be easy and if the shop cant do that then i wouldnt trust them with my car..
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
any idiot should be able to figure out to cut the 2 wires at the bulb connector
install 2 female 14 guage waterproof connector spades to them and connect to new from new ballast
or just butt connector old to new wires with no connectors used!
could not be simpler
mount ballast to outside of frame rail or other easy place