HELP!! Strange noise after spring install

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
HELP!! Strange noise after spring install

Ok folks,

I have been searching for almost an hour (56K) to find any info on this here on Acura-TL.com.

I had my H&R sport springs installed the other day. Now, when I am going under 30mph or so and drive over a slightly sunken manhole cover or anything that will make the wheel slighly drop, I get this clunk noise from the right rear.

I tried to see if coils were hitting. Nope, not that. Then, my fiance was pushing on the trunk and as I put my best ear near the wheel, I could hear the noise somewhere just behind the wheel where all the suspension components come together. I tightened every bolt I could get to, but no luck.

What in the world could be causing this? I am calling the installer tomorrow to have them look at it, but in the meantime does something need to be tightened? It sounds like something is loose, but with speed, the sound goes away.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Old 10-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the nut on the top if the strut possibly? bad or worn shock already?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Ackniculous One

Well, the noise is coming from below the strut area though? I'm wondering if something wasn't tightened. End links or sway bar. The strut should be fine. Basically, the noise started within a mile of leaving the install place, but I thought it was the spring settling in the perch. Now after 100 miles, still doin it.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Installing springs shouldn't require taking off any other suspension components; just the one bolt at the bottom of the fork.

I could give you a few guesses --

1. The nuts on the top.
2. The spring is out of the perch.
3. The rubber protector is off, and the coils might be hitting near the top where the coils are close together.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Ackniculous One

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I went back to the installer this morning. We found out that he loosened one of the end link (I think that's the name for it) bolts to relieve tension from the strut, but before realizing he didn't need to.

But, he forgot to tighten that bolt down and once he tapped it, it made the noise again. So, he tightened down nice and tight and now, no issues what so ever. Car is riding tight like it did before the install.

Bottom line, I am one happy camper!! If he couldn't fix it, Acura would have not been an option. They would've said, oh, you got a suspension problem and you dropped your car...take a hike or give us some serious loot!

Thanks for your inputs!!