Help!! My wife wants me to get a Volvo...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!! My wife wants me to get a Volvo...

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new car in the next few months. I love the TL- type S. My wife would rather I get the Volvo S60. I realize this is an Acura board, so there will be bias. However, I was wondering what your thoughts were on this matter.

The Volvo is definitely prettier, by far. However, the steering was terrible, the back seat was way too cramped. The build quality also concerned me- lots of rattles.

The Acura was great when I drove it. It did have a touch more road noise than I'd expect in a luxury vehicle, and the styling is bland.

Additional thoughts- I'd rather donate my hard earned pay checks to an American owned company, than Japanese (although I currently drive a Subaru.) Also with gas at $2 a gallon, filling with premium all the time will suck.

Any other thoughts???
Old 05-06-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro

For what it's worth, I found the Volvo to have no room in rear seating at all (in fact, I wondered aloud to the sales associate why it had four doors and no back seat area). It appears to me that there are a lot of features on the TL Type S that aren't in the Volvo (HP, trunk space and access, interior room, etc.). Perhaps premium over regular is significant if you put lots of miles on the car, but it didn't influence my decision significantly. I've also had Volvos in the past and can't say I'm a huge advocate of the car. As far as foreign vs. domestic, the company's ownership is moot when considering where the vehicle is built (once again, my opinion only). Good luck with your deliberations!
Old 05-06-2001, 06:24 PM
Advanced

There's really no comparison between the Volvo S60 and the TL-S. Even though had decided to purchase the TL-S, I test drove both Volvo S60 2.4T and S60 T-5 models. I was totally unimpressed by both of them, with the exception of the ultra comfortable leather seats. Both engines sounded "buzzy" at above average RPMs, seemed very underpowered, and they just didn't do anything for me or my wife.

Price wise, they cost more than the TL-S, and are small 5 cylinder engines, instead of the TL-S's 6 cyclinders. Then of course, you have to deal with the turbo charger issues.

Anyway, good luck, and hopefully you won't be forced into getting the Volvo S60. Of course, if you (and not your wife) are making the payments on the car, then you should make the final decision as to which car you get.

Peace.

------------------
2002 Acura 3.2 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Old 05-06-2001, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Wink

What if your wife wanted you to get underwear that matches hers? Lay down the law man! ;-)

Regards
-w
Old 05-06-2001, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Tell her you'll buy her jewelry, new clothes or a vacation with the money you'll save buying the TL-S.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro

The new Volvo's are pretty cars.

However, I have two friends that just recently sold their one year old Volvo's (S80,C70 conv.) because they literally fell apart.

The C70 issues were: the power antenna motor broke, tow hook cover fell off, doors would not close properly and the coolent overflow line cut by fanbelt. The dealer fixed all but the doors under warranty. The doors were never right. It was monthly visits to the dealer for the entire first year of ownership for him. The car almost split the time in/out of the shop. Anyway, he finally sold it for a Lexus.

I am not familiar with the S60, but there is a forum on Edmunds Town Hall that discusses the car.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I love my TLS.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by rockinTLS on May 06, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-06-2001, 11:22 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Check on part costs & repair times. Won't compair to the Acura TL record. Was recently posted on this board.

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 05-06-2001, 11:45 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DocCat:
The Volvo is definitely prettier, by far. However, the steering was terrible, the back seat was way too cramped. The build quality also concerned me- lots of rattles.

The Acura was great when I drove it. It did have a touch more road noise than I'd expect in a luxury vehicle, and the styling is bland...
You bring up some good points on both cars. If you and your wife are getting it together, it will be a family car right?

First, lets address the rattles, the TL also has rattles, but they can be fixed. The road noise is a big disdvantage for the TL-S.
However, comfort wise, I think the TL wins on this one. My co-worker has a S60 wagon and I had a chance to ride in it. The seats were definately smaller than what I expected.

As far as styling, to be honest, I can't tell one Volvo from the next unless it is a new S80. But looks are nice too, much more pretty in some aspects. But the TL-S has a sporty side to it and that I think is where it's strength lies. It just depends on what you like.
I feel the Volvo is more for an older consumer group than the TL-S is.

Also, I don't know if the Volvo offers Navigation or not but a TL-S w/Nav is a little over 32K. And the Volvos don't offer HID headlights which not only enhance the safety of the car at night but also the beauty. The TL-S will save you money up front and later with maintenece.

To be honest with you, If I had to buy another car, I don't think I would buy a TL again. But if I was only given these two choices, I would pick the TL. I think the TL is ok for all that it offers and the price, but still lacks that true luxory to me. I'm getting a Lexus after I'm done with this car.
Are you looking into any other cars besides these ones??

And if one of you are going to drive it more than the other, I think you should lean towards that way more. If she is going to be the one driving and she wants a Volvo, get the Volvo. And if this will be the family car for taking trips, TL is better for that.

Good Luck.

------------------
June 10, N. Cali Meet - Click Here

GO !!!

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Vin says 2001, but it's really a 2000 with an upgraded cupholder!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Edub-TL on May 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-07-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro

The styling isn't bland once you order the bodykit! it looks damn nice when that is added!

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new car in the next few months. I love the TL- type S. My wife would rather I get the Volvo S60. I realize this is an Acura board, so there will be bias. However, I was wondering what your thoughts were on this matter.

The Acura was great when I drove it. It did have a touch more road noise than I'd expect in a luxury vehicle, and the styling is bland.

Additional thoughts- I'd rather donate my hard earned pay checks to an American owned company, than Japanese (although I currently drive a Subaru.) Also with gas at $2 a gallon, filling with premium all the time will suck.

Any other thoughts???
Old 05-07-2001, 01:24 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Thanks so much for all the replies!! Additional thoughts: The Volvo S60 styling is awesome, the sound system by Pioneer is terrific, the safety features are unsurpassed, and the seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

The TL S-type is less expensive, has a much better reliability and repair record, and I love that 260-hp engine.

It will be really tough to decide!
Old 05-07-2001, 03:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 1997 850. I owned the car for less than a year. I don't have any problem with it at all.

I don't buy into this rattle bull shit. As my TL has by far the most rattle of all cars that I have owned thus far. My TL has suffered many although minor quality problems.

Even though i don't recommend S60. I don't think TL type S is that overwhelming either.

Old 05-07-2001, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
What it comes down to is you are either buying a glorified Ford or a quality Japanese luxury that is made in the US. Now, you will have a better residule value, better mainteneance record, and the POWER from the less expensive Acura. OR, you can buy a .... Ford.

Old 05-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Racer

S60 is the only Volvo that isn't ugly.
Actually Volvo's recent styling have been ok. S60 is the best. However, it is far from pretty. Even boring styling of TL is much better. You are entitle to your own opinion though. There isn't anything S60 can do as well as a TL. The only thing I can think of is that you might like the styling more. (I take it, you do)
Besides, wouldn't you rather buy an american car in a nice american built american sized TL rather than a tank?
One of my colleague just bought a 2001 TL 2 months ago. He, too, had S60 in mind. Like you, he thought S60 was slightly better looking than 2001 TL. However, everything else was in TL's favor. He didn't even need to see TL-S. (though I wonder if he does now that I have the TL-S)
Old 05-07-2001, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

You mentioned that you had driven both cars. Has your wife? I was in a similar situation until my wife drove them. Then it was Type S all the way. Since she's 10 inches shorter than me, the memory seat keyed to the door remote was a real selling point.

If you get her to drive a Type S and she still wants the Volvo, it may be time for a trade-in.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:46 AM

Hey Geezer,

You are talking about trading in the car and not the wife.......right? LOL

Have a great day everyone
Old 05-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Also with gas at $2 a gallon, filling with premium all the time will suck.
I've found that premium tends to run about 20 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded. Even if you only get 19 MPG and drive 15,000 miles per year, you're still only spending around $150 more per year for the premium fuel.

Do the right thing - get the TL-S!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-07-2001, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Wink

Originally posted by Gabriele:
Hey Geezer,

You are talking about trading in the car and not the wife.......right? LOL

Have a great day everyone
Welllll, I'm not saying. Fortunately I've never had to make that decision. My wife and I tend to agree about cars. Even after I put an autocross suspension in my Civic SI she still likes to drive it. Have to get her (the wife) out on the track some time.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:31 PM
Instructor

There is a shoot-out comparison in the May?Motor Trend that includes the TL-S, Volvo S60, BMW 330i, Audi A6 2.7T, Saab Viggen and MB C-series.

Every car in the comparison cost more than the TL-S, but the TL-S did very well, although not best, in almost every catagory.

Good luck!

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Debadged
Old 05-07-2001, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Wait for the T5R which should be coming out. Check out the Volvo boards to be sure.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Along w/ the replies..which were excellent and informative...the repair and cost were the deciding factors. Volvo's are very expensive to repair. I have family members w/ 850's and S80's. The S80 has been to the shop 3 times since orginally bought in 1999.

The irony to my story is I actually considered the S70 for about 10 months till I stumbled across a TL for the first time. I was very familiar with all the aspects Volvo's since I researched the car for those 10 months.

After test driving the TL w/ Navi. I was sold. Conclustion, Bang for the Buck!. Second was the reliablity.

Yeah the moon roof and center console rattle, I can live with that.

Plus like everyone said, The back seat's in the TL are actually functional....

Old 05-07-2001, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Arrow

You may want to wait a few months for the new Volvo S60 PCC (Performance Concept Car). It will be a limited production and may be hard to find, but will be all wheel drive, 300HP, and according to Volvo, "have the glitches taken out, from the S60" which to means no more squeaks and rattles, and VERY FASSST.

I agree though, the car should be a coupe, because there is absolutely NO rear seat space. Nice lookin' car though, especially the 2-tone paint Aegean blue, over silver.

as for me, im waitin' for the new revised '03TL -S Due out in a year.

my .02

Old 05-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're talking about waiting -- consider the Jaguar X-Type R -- 300+ hp and AWD. If we're talking about "glorified" Ford's.. seems like this is our place to be!

Old 05-07-2001, 03:27 PM

I had a Volvo and an older Acura TL. Maintainance for Volvo was much higher.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro

I have a close friend who drove Acuras for years before finally getting an S80, now she wishes she were back in an Acura. While she likes the S80, she hates the sky high maintenance rates and doesn't feel she gets anywhere near the same level of customer care treatment from Volvo that she did from Acura.

One additional note on the S80 - the 1999 model was a disaster, massive problems with the ridicuously small transmission and headlight units that blew out every month. All fixed in the 2000 model.

The S60 may suffer from the same kind of thing since this is its first year, but the TL is a proven platform.

I also don't like how incredibly fast the price of the S60 rises, you'll find yourself well past $35K in no time with just a couple of "standard options."
Old 05-07-2001, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Edub-TL:
... true luxory to me. I'm getting a Lexus after I'm done with this car.

Me too..probably a GS430 when my TLS lease is up in 3 yrs, wanted to buy the GS right now but could not afford it so I bought the next best thing - the TLS :-) The GS offers awesome power - to 60 in 5.7 secs, awesome luxury, and the best sound system in the galaxy (11 speaker Mark Levinson - check out www.marklevinsonlexus.com). I am an audiophile myself and levinson is the MOST prestigious name in audio!!
Old 05-07-2001, 11:24 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new car in the next few months. I love the TL- type S. My wife

Any other thoughts???
think the 02 TLS looks TOOOOOO sexy, those rims look gorgeous :-) I don't find Volvos attractive *** AT ALL *** !! The new ones are A LOT better (in a feminine sort of way) but still B O R I N G!

As for buying American made....how about a good ole Pontiac GrandAm. Hopefully you'll be able to drive it off the lot before the engine explodes!

Love my country, but have to admit that we make some of the CRAPPIEST cars! After driving my TLS I had the pleasure of driving an Chevy Impala...it was a shocking experience to say the least!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by csxpert on May 08, 2001 @ ]</font>