HELP:::major probs on 02 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP:::major probs on 02 TLS

Okay Guys,
I currently have 2002 TLS and have come upon some problems. FIrst of all the chekc engine lights stys on, VSA light stays on, and ! light stays on at all times. Second, when the car is in park the rpms jumps to from 500 to 1500 or 2000 over and over.
THird when u drive the car and shift gears it jumps back at you. I hope this makes sense. I only have 15k miles on the car. Just got 15k service done 1 week ago. PLease help!!!

THANKS
ANDY
Old 02-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to the dealer, now!
Old 02-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Having Fun?

Ditto, get to the dealer. It is sad to hear that you may be another victim of the dead tranny club

Best of luck to you, and your car...
Old 02-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro

Uh oh. I agree, it's time to visit the dealer pronto.

BTW, what is your approximate VIN (last 7 digits) and the car's build month? I'm curious. Although I have not had problems I'm close behind you on mileage. My VIN is A010XXX, built April 01.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Say goodbye to your tranny!!! Sorry to hear that. That's exactly what mine did both times my trannies went out.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro

First rule of maintenance...

As an engineer, whenever I encounter sudden trouble with any complicated device or system, I always ask myself "Who did what last?" That's my first rule of maintenance. Did someone just work on that piece of equipment? Was someone behind that piece of equipment messing around, or moving it? etc. etc. etc. Hopefully that is the case. You say that you just had the car in for service a week ago? Was there any hint of this major grief before hand? In any case, I agree that you are in a desperate need to visit the dealer... But just ask yourself... "What did the idiot Car-joker do while he was messing with your car trying to rush a 15K service"? I have no experience with the car yet, as I will pick up my new one this week... but it does all sound a bit coincidental. How do you drive your car? Do you push it really hard, or just generally cruise around with the occasional "punch it"? If you have babied the car and it has just suddenly developed ALL of these wild problems right after a dealer visit, I would be suspicous of the sloppy work done. Also, How would a tranny problem cause the check engine light to stay on, and why would the engine rev sporadically while in park? This sounds more than a tranny problem to me... It sounds more like the computer system has gone wild or something. Sorry to hear about this, but maybe you will get lucky and find that the service idiot bumped loose some computer command connector, etc. or something? But again, I have no experience with the car yet. BUT this board is beginning to scare me about the reliability of the car. Let us all know how it turns out. GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, you're scaring me. Tell us what the dealer says!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

update on TLS prob

Guys ,

Guess waht?? The car is running fine again. Only thing is that the check engine light is on. Im taking it in on Monday but its just goofey. Hopefully its a bad sensor somewhere. Not shifting hard or anything anymore. Ill let ou knwo once I gound out more.

THANKS
ANDY
Old 02-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Take the car in and demand to get a copy of the diagnostic log from your ECU. Read it over very carefully and make sure that there isn't something still screwed up from the last service visit. There may be a misplaced sensor, unplugged harness, or something similar that the ECU has compensated for.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:13 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Your tranny may be AFU.
That is the classic warning display that appears when the end is near. Bring it to the dealer while you still can, and prepare to get a loaner car (take all of your stuff out of your car, it will stay there for a "few" nights)

Sorry to hear that, and yes, let us know your VIN.

:-jon
Old 02-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: First rule of maintenance...

Originally posted by Southbound
Also, How would a tranny problem cause the check engine light to stay on, and why would the engine rev sporadically while in park? This sounds more than a tranny problem to me... It sounds more like the computer system has gone wild or something.
I remember thinking/hoping the same thing. To answer your question about the "Check Engine Light", I think it comes on when certain warning codes have popped up in the car's computer. Mine did the same thing when my first 2 trannies went. Even before I noticed any real trouble w/ the tranny, the check engine light, the VSA light and the ! light all came on.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: update on TLS prob

Originally posted by tlsmooth
Guys ,

Guess waht?? The car is running fine again. Only thing is that the check engine light is on. Im taking it in on Monday but its just goofey. Hopefully its a bad sensor somewhere. Not shifting hard or anything anymore. Ill let ou knwo once I gound out more.

THANKS
ANDY
When first tranny gave in to the dark side, it did the same thing. All the warning lights came on, I took it in to Park Acura (I happened to be traveling in the area), they checked all the codes and said it needed a new shift sensor but it should be ok to drive back to VA. So I did and then immediately took it to my dealership. They could find nothing wrong, I suspect because all the warning codes had already been reset. Anyway, the car was completely fine for a week -- no codes, no waring lights, no weird shifting. Then one day, wham! Everything went all to hell. By the time I got to the dealership, the car would move at all. I put it park, then tried to move it and nothing. It just sat there in D5 (which was blinking on the gear indicator on the dash) and revved like it was in neutral.

The 2nd time my tranny went, it did the same thing except it started making a wonderful grinding noise.

Do a search and you will find more information on bad trannies than you ever dreamed of. Then go over to the CL board and you'll find loads more. It's so much fun.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro

Redlined... you've got me scared

Thanks for the information Redlined. I wasn't aware of how the check engine light etc. could be triggered by the tranny, but I guess you have been there... TWICE! YIKES!!! That scares the hell out of me as a new owner tomorrow. Is your name indicative of how you drive? OR were you just EXTREMELY unlucky with these boxes? How is your THIRD tranny holding up? Have you changed your driving habits? and can you attribute the bad trannys to a weak design intended for the tamer TL-P? Thanks, and let us know how things go for you, Andy... GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-25-2002, 01:11 AM
Type SSS

Another tranny bites the dust
Old 02-25-2002, 12:37 PM
10th Gear

Exclamation

I'm having the same problem this past Friday night. Check engine light stays on, VSA, ! lights also stay on. Sometimes it won't go into gear in D5 or E-Shift, I was on a hill and the car rolls backward with the gearshift in D5. I have around 14400 miles on it. Called Acura TLC in the morning, they came and picked it up on a flatbed. Dealer is looking at it, they're thinking it's the transmission. What's up with the tranny on the 02 Type S ? Anybody else having this problem ? How long did it take to get a new tranny ?
Old 02-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Unhappy Welcome To the Club

Originally posted by SilkkTypeS
I'm having the same problem...Anybody else having this problem? How long did it take to get a new tranny ?
Well for me it was 25 days before I had my car back.
This "backorder" problem is not suposed to be as bad now, but who knows.
I hope they get you back on the road soon.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:28 PM
10th Gear

Re: Welcome To the Club

Originally posted by Yoyodyne

Well for me it was 25 days before I had my car back.
This "backorder" problem is not suposed to be as bad now, but who knows.
I hope they get you back on the road soon.
Just got off the phone with the service dept. They said a brand new tranny would be in by this Thurs or Fri and I should be back on the road by Saturday, hope all this is true.
Did you have to break in the new tranny when you got it ?
Old 02-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Are they giving you any b.s.

Hey that really sucks to hear all this about the tranny problems people are having with there TL's but I was wondering is the dealer giving you any b.s. about fixing it under warranty with headers and exhaust installed ? Just curious cause I just ordered Comptech headers and exhaust
Old 02-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Prez & GC, .Net

THey shouldn't be giving any B.S. If anything, because Comptech is an authorized supplier for Acura aftermarket parts. Some dealers even order and install Comptech products on your car and you can include them when you first purchase your new car to have it in your montly payments.

If you have any further questions about dealing with this, check out www.sema.org They talk about the Magnussen-Moss Act that makes it illegal to deny warranty coverage unless dealers can prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage.

Dizzy
Old 02-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Welcome To the Club

Originally posted by SilkkTypeS

Just got off the phone with the service dept. They said a brand new tranny would be in by this Thurs or Fri and I should be back on the road by Saturday, hope all this is true.
Did you have to break in the new tranny when you got it ?
New tranny in less than a week???!!!
I hate you!! Just kidding
I asked about having to break it in and they said no, it's ready to rock.
However I was somewhat gentle with it for the first week or so anyway.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Pro

I thought the 11k mile point was the "I can relax about my tranny" point......now that I'm shy of 12k, I'm realizing I have to sweat it till I pass 15k and hope my tranny doesn't die. Don't know the VIN # but myne was built in April 01 too! yikes!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TL4Mo
I thought the 11k mile point was the "I can relax about my tranny" point......now that I'm shy of 12k, I'm realizing I have to sweat it till I pass 15k and hope my tranny doesn't die. Don't know the VIN # but myne was built in April 01 too! yikes!
Roadman's crapped out at 28K so you still got quite a lot of sweating left to go....
Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro

Holy crap! Man, I just gotta hope that if it's gonna crap out....it happen well before the warranty expires!
Old 02-26-2002, 10:25 AM
Banned

You guys are freaking me out with this whole tranny deal. Seems like everyone and their mother is going thru this??!!
How long before Acura does a recall on this??