Has anyone gotten Honda to pay for their Transmission LATELY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012 | 12:46 PM
5th Gear

Has anyone gotten Honda to pay for their Transmission LATELY?

The transmission in my 2002 Acura 3.2 TL Type S just began failing. It has only 53K original miles on it and we're the first/only owner.

I don't want to start new back and forth on THE transmission problems, but I would like to know if anyone has managed to get Acura/Honda to pay for the replacement or repair of their transmission lately (say in the last 6 months). If you have, I'd like to hear how it went.
Old 05-28-2012 | 03:02 PM

Nope but with that mileage your only problem is the Years Coverage... Have you spoken with the guy over the dealer about it??
Old 05-28-2012 | 03:55 PM
5th Gear

There is no Acura dealer within 250 miles of me, but the local Honda dealer services a bunch of "orphaned" Acuras and has done all our maintenance for the past 6 years, including a warranty issue. All previous service was done by the Acura dealer I bought the car from in another state. The service manager claims to know little about THE transmission problems, but has offered to support me as I work on Acura to cover what is really their responsibility.

In light of the Years Coverage issue, I'm inquiring here in an attempt to learn what approaches have worked for others, RECENTLY, if any.
Old 05-28-2012 | 05:12 PM
S E L L

Because of the years, chances are slim to none that they'll cover anything but give it a shot. The extremely low mileage might work in your favor. At the very least they may give you partial coverage.

When they did mine I was well under the miles (75K) but over the time by about 6 months and I was covered 100%. I don't know if they'll help since you're a couple of years over. It's worth a try.
Old 05-28-2012 | 05:52 PM
5th Gear

GFAZE,

Thanks for the input. Can you give me any details about the conversations between you and Acura? If you were "technically" beyond the time, how did you convince them to cover you?
Old 05-28-2012 | 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tenaya
GFAZE,

Thanks for the input. Can you give me any details about the conversations between you and Acura? If you were "technically" beyond the time, how did you convince them to cover you?
He was beyond the time by a few months, you are beyond the time by a few years. Your best bet is to go into the closest dealer and have a talk with the service Manager. See if they are willing to go to bat for you with acura.
Old 05-28-2012 | 08:01 PM
5th Gear

I did that last Wednesday. I don't know that I would say he's willing to "go to bat", but I've been a loyal service customer for more than 6 years and he seems very cooperative. That said, he gave me the name of someone to call at Acura. I'd have been on the phone this morning, but it's a holiday.

I realize I'm at a disadvantage due to the time that has passed and that there's no magic bullet. I'm hoping to learn from someone else's experience what I can expect from Acura when I get into this.
Old 05-28-2012 | 09:05 PM
Team Owner

has the honda dealer been changing the trans fluid? every year,,2,3, at all?
thats the start for any help in trans probs

you are right on the miles where they begin to fail- may need a front motor mount too
For the cost of rebuilding a TL trans, I think you are better off installing a used honda odessey trans from the wrecking yard ~$1500 total vs 2500 for rebuild locally
even if acura gave you a 10-25% alleged discount- it would still be 3 or 4 grand!!

brand loyalty- you own 5 acuras and always use dealer service dept
thats what it takes to get help way past normal (court ordered) limits

OP went to Honda dealer not Acura -they are seperate companies for this point
you can call acura corp, but only an acura dealer can make the diagnosis on failure and why..corp want thats before they will do anything
500 mile trips at 4.55 a gallon, 20sum mpg,,,,more than once,,begging acura on the phone and in writing for a few months, while your baby sits undriveable

vs $1500 and a trans that works great!
Old 05-28-2012 | 10:39 PM
S E L L

Originally Posted by Tenaya
GFAZE,

Not much to tell really. I took the car in after it slipped out of gear while trying to accelerate up an overpass. I spoke with the service manager and explained what happened. He had the tech take it for a drive and they were able to reproduce the symptom. They called me up saying it needed a new transmission and that they spoke to Acura corp and got it completely covered despite being over the time. He said he explained to them that it was well under the mileage limit and they agreed to cover it. I guess I was lucky my local Acura dealer has a great service manager.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2012 | 08:58 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Not much to tell really. I took the car in after it slipped out of gear while trying to accelerate up an overpass. I spoke with the service manager and explained what happened. He had the tech take it for a drive and they were able to reproduce the symptom. They called me up saying it needed a new transmission and that they spoke to Acura corp and got it completely covered despite being over the time. He said he explained to them that it was well under the mileage limit and they agreed to cover it. I guess I was lucky my local Acura dealer has a great service manager.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'm going to start this adventure this morning. I hope my local service manager is as good as yours, he's the only game in town.
Old 05-29-2012 | 09:47 AM
Team Owner

do you have a work order from Honda dealer listing the failure code numbers, indicating trans failure,,from the weak clutch packs?

Acura is a different company for warranty purposes

If you have data on aft changed at least once in cars life at honda
and recent paper showing trans failure codes
THEN its time to talk with acura
Who did he give the number of- the Regional acura warranty rep?
hondas SM could make that call- customers are not supposed to-
reps call you after investigation with local SM about case

Normally if your acura dealer cant get authorization direct from the regional rep, then you go to corp and ask for a case review

1 800 382 2238x5 is `acura care` where you make that request for trans help, and can ck all recalls are completed- they are the record keepers on recalls
Old 05-31-2012 | 10:50 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

i called Acura client relations about two weeks ago no help the miles are good but the time was to far gone they would have worked with me if mine had locked up on me while driving so i need to get it fixed whats the best but cheapest option not trying to pay 2700-3200$ as quoted what year odessey fits
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:04 PM
S E L L

^ 06-07 Accord transmission fits too according to several members here.
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:07 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

is it worth getting a rebuilt or take a chance on a used one
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:15 PM
S E L L

Originally Posted by CAB NY
is it worth getting a rebuilt or take a chance on a used one
A used 06/07 Accord V6 transmission would fare better than a used TL transmission. If you're talking about a used or rebuilt TL transmission, you'd be better off getting the rebuild. The used one may last you 2 years, or 2 months, 2 weeks, etc. It's too much of a gamble IMO.
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:24 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

the car is in good shape the engine is fine but not sure how long i plan to keep it looking to get something newer but not sure when but don't really what to spend 3000$ that's why i was trying to see another option to save some money but not break down 3 moths later
Old 07-09-2012 | 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not "recent", but, the transmission in my 2003 TL with 119,000 miles was replaced in mid-2010 at a cost of $1,400 to me (also included some engine mounts). My dealer, where that TL, another TL, and an Integra were purchased, took it upon themselves to contact Acura corporate. I had taken it in to get "looked at" - they called back w/ the diagnosis and said they had already talked to corporate and here was "the deal". $1,400 hurt - but was better than, what, ~$5k? (FYI: After the warranty was up, the car was never taken to the dealer for service - local mechanic.)
Old 07-11-2012 | 06:25 PM
Advanced

Well, you just had to post this so I hope you didn't jinx me - and I thought I was one of the lucky ones whose transmission was going to last. I baby my car and do regular maintenance including transmission fluid changes - live and learn.

I just got word that my original transmission needs replaced. I am able to drive it, but it was acting up with some clunking noises. After over 11 years of ownership and nearly 100k miles, this is the first major thing to go wrong. I guess I can't complain too much. So I took it to my local Acura dealer and they said it needed a new transmission including a new control unit - $5600. Even though my car is in great condition with low mileage, the car is barely worth more than that...maybe $7500 or $8000? Is it worth it?

I talked with my service rep and reminded him that I had my transmission changed recently by them and other service work in the past few years since I moved into the area. He was nice enough to push that to Acura and they came back to say that they are paying for 40% of it! Plus, I get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty and a free loaner. My out the door cost will be close to $3500 with taxes and such.

I am disappointed with a car whose transmission fails this early based on how it is driven and cared for, even though Acura extended the warranty due to the known issues of the transmission. How was I supposed to know that even though I bought the car new? I guess I'll keep the car a few years longer since I do have a transmission warranty, really like the car and since I have no known worries about the engine or other parts of the car as they seem to be working fine.

Overall, it is a great car and I would recommend it to others.

Last edited by marjenmiller; 07-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Find a Honda accord transmission in the area like 600-1000 bucks depending on where and get it installed at a trans shop or try it yourself if you'd like.
Old 07-11-2012 | 07:08 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Marjenmiller's car still need the updated PCM control unit, no matter which tranny Marjenmiller is going for. Otherwise, the replacement tranny is gonna died the same way later on.
Old 07-11-2012 | 09:42 PM
Instructor

i believe the warranty for these transmissions was 7 years, 130,000 km if i remember correctly. mine failed just outside factory warranty which was expired in december of 2011 but luckily i bought extended warranty when i bought the car.
Old 07-12-2012 | 12:22 PM
Racer

I just went through this a couple months ago. I own 4 TL's and rarely use acura for service because I do most of the work myself. My NBP 2003 had 76000 miles on it and the tranny crapped out. Dealer offered me $1000 OFF A $5000 NEW aCURA TRANSMISSION JOB. I opted for a rebuild at multistate transmission for $2400 which included engine mount and a 1 year warranty. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-19-2012 | 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marjenmiller
Well, you just had to post this so I hope you didn't jinx me - and I thought I was one of the lucky ones whose transmission was going to last. I baby my car and do regular maintenance including transmission fluid changes - live and learn.

I just got word that my original transmission needs replaced. I am able to drive it, but it was acting up with some clunking noises. After over 11 years of ownership and nearly 100k miles, this is the first major thing to go wrong. I guess I can't complain too much. So I took it to my local Acura dealer and they said it needed a new transmission including a new control unit - $5600. Even though my car is in great condition with low mileage, the car is barely worth more than that...maybe $7500 or $8000? Is it worth it?

I talked with my service rep and reminded him that I had my transmission changed recently by them and other service work in the past few years since I moved into the area. He was nice enough to push that to Acura and they came back to say that they are paying for 40% of it! Plus, I get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty and a free loaner. My out the door cost will be close to $3500 with taxes and such.

I am disappointed with a car whose transmission fails this early based on how it is driven and cared for, even though Acura extended the warranty due to the known issues of the transmission. How was I supposed to know that even though I bought the car new? I guess I'll keep the car a few years longer since I do have a transmission warranty, really like the car and since I have no known worries about the engine or other parts of the car as they seem to be working fine.

Overall, it is a great car and I would recommend it to others.

Update on this...
Final cost was less than I was quoted - just under $3,000 out the door with the new control unit.
So far so good on the operation of it. I did notice that it shifts a little differently than my old transmission (different RPMs), but is smoother than before!
Old 07-24-2012 | 10:09 PM
Intermediate

I got mine done last September. Acura covered 90% , I covered 10%. I contacted Acura over their Twitter Feed and explained that my trans was slipping even after the fix ( I am the 2nd owner ) . Someone from their customer service contacted me within a short while of that and requested that I take my vehicle to the closest dealer for diagnostics. Help me setup an appointment. Service writer took the car for a test drive with me, confirmed the issue, said will contact Acura. Gave me a loaner, called back with the offer. Took them roughly about 1.5 weeks to get the unit shipped and installed. But overall a pretty trouble free experience.
Old 07-30-2012 | 01:07 PM
Instructor

^^were you under warranty?