hand style parking brake for tl gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hand style parking brake for tl gen 2

has any one relocated the parking brake to the hand style parking brake i really hate these foot ones.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:24 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where would you rather have it located?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nope
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah, the parking brake location is something I'm not to pleased with. It should be by the shifter like the 3Gs.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 AM
/etc/car

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
yeah, the parking brake location is something I'm not to pleased with. It should be by the shifter like the 3Gs.
As per the dealer...paraphrased:

A major complaint of the new TLs is that the parking brake is on the passenger side.

...and I agree. I much preferred the hand brake opposed to the foot brake, but putting it on the far side of the center console?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampGas
I much preferred the hand brake opposed to the foot brake, but putting it on the far side of the center console?
Where else can they put it????

1. Driver's side of the console - Too close to the driver to be able to comfortably pull up on the handle.

2. Center of the console - Lose too much storage space as well as the cup holders would have to be relocated or eliminated.

3. Left of the driver - Yes, there are cars with it between the driver's seat and the door. The handle doesn't stay raised with the brake on. Not much room there and might require redesigning the interior door panel/armrest.

People would whine no matter where it was.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
/etc/car

Originally Posted by MikePA
Where else can they put it????

1. Driver's side of the console - Too close to the driver to be able to comfortably pull up on the handle.

2. Center of the console - Lose too much storage space as well as the cup holders would have to be relocated or eliminated.

3. Left of the driver - Yes, there are cars with it between the driver's seat and the door. The handle doesn't stay raised with the brake on. Not much room there and might require redesigning the interior door panel/armrest.

People would whine no matter where it was.
I didn't seem to have a problem with it being on the driver's side in my 88 Legend. Or every single other car with a handbrake, for that matter.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by kuhdoffi
has any one relocated the parking brake to the hand style parking brake i really hate these foot ones.
No. Why would you want to do that? To get it one step closer to Accords?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

modify the one from the CL-S 6-speed into the TL
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SwampGas
I didn't seem to have a problem with it being on the driver's side in my 88 Legend. Or every single other car with a handbrake, for that matter.
It depends how far forward it is on the console.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Az User

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by kuhdoffi
no, i have never used my parking brake in this car
Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
shift@8k

Originally Posted by Inspire
No. Why would you want to do that? To get it one step closer to Accords?
ok...dumb comment. how does having a hand brake equal to being one step closer to accords? I know tons of cars better than ours that have hand brakes...lame. Oh and...OUR CARS ARE ACCORDS. Its based off the same platform....which is why most if not all accord parts fit our cars (had to rant...can't stand ignorant comments like this)

but back on subject...i was thinking about doing this too so i took out my helms manual and aside from replacing the center console to the one in the 03 cl-s, it seems that all the parts you would need are the new equalizer and parking brake cable that goes to the hand brake assembly. From acuraautomotiveparts.org all parts should be had for under 70. The site's down right now, but i'll post pics later to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about. Let's seee who comes through with this project first
Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 AM
10th Gear

i hope its a some what ez mod :\ in prev. cars the hand style brake has come in quite handy here in ottawa canada where the winters are well worth forgetting but dont for get ur hand brake
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I hate the damn footbrake. The TL isn't a Buick, I don't understand footbrakes.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i dont see whats so bad about relocating the E Brake. its so much more convenient and better use if its by the shifter. i hate the stupid footbrake. makes me look stupid too if i hike up my knee and push down that thing rather than just pulling it like what you do in most cars out there.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Pro

with aaron... by the way long time no talk aaron.. hows everyhting
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by shinybluecls
ok...dumb comment. how does having a hand brake equal to being one step closer to accords? I know tons of cars better than ours that have hand brakes...lame. Oh and...OUR CARS ARE ACCORDS. Its based off the same platform....which is why most if not all accord parts fit our cars (had to rant...can't stand ignorant comments like this)
1. I say anything I want foo... what da hell are you to judge my opinion?
2. As if I don't know it's based off the same platform?
3. Why would you want to make unnecessary changes like this? Maybe an upgrade to you, but it's a downgrade in my book! and again, what da hell are you to judge my opinion?
4. And yes, go ahead and make your car a "project" car. It's your taste that counts... at least to you.

I just like to play with you son... do whatever you feel...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:06 PM
S = Slow

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

Will the center console fit into our tl's? If it doesnt cost too much I would convert it.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Drifting

i like the foot brake, in the winter if you disconnect the locking mechanism it's like haivng a third pedal
Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Thats the only real possibility I can think of short of doing a full custom job.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how often do y'all use your parking brakes? maybe since we don't really have hills in New orleans i never really had to use it, and all the cars in my family has a foot pedal so i never really minded it, my girl friend's accord is a 2000 and it has the hand brake, her cup holders aren't as nice as ours, and her center consol isn't as nice either with a smaller arm rest..... even though our car and the accord v6 are so dang similar we do have some nicer differences...
Old 07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

i dont see spending $$$ changing something that i wouldnt benefit from
but once again, thats just my
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I have wanted a hand brake in my car for some time as well and was disappointed in the foot option. The reason i want it however is for aggresive driving.

I use to have a mustang (rear wheel drive which is the other reason my acura will never do this) and I would lock the back wheels, start the car into a slide, spin it around 180 degrees, drop the hand brake, shift into 2nd and dump the clutch, keeping the rear wheels spinning the whole time and giving a pretty good effect for passengers. I wish I could do this in the acura but
a. it isnt rear wheel drive so the last half is out
b. the e brake/hand brake is in the floor and releases from the side handle. the position would never work for smooth application and control
c. the car is quite a bit nicer than my mustang and i wouldnt want to mess it up.

Still.... even with the reasons not to do it, i would probably try it at least once if it was possible. Im sure I could find something fun to do with it.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
I have wanted a hand brake in my car for some time as well and was disappointed in the foot option. The reason i want it however is for aggresive driving.

I use to have a mustang (rear wheel drive which is the other reason my acura will never do this) and I would lock the back wheels, start the car into a slide, spin it around 180 degrees, drop the hand brake, shift into 2nd and dump the clutch, keeping the rear wheels spinning the whole time and giving a pretty good effect for passengers. I wish I could do this in the acura but
a. it isnt rear wheel drive so the last half is out
b. the e brake/hand brake is in the floor and releases from the side handle. the position would never work for smooth application and control
c. the car is quite a bit nicer than my mustang and i wouldnt want to mess it up.

Still.... even with the reasons not to do it, i would probably try it at least once if it was possible. Im sure I could find something fun to do with it.
doing what you liked to do in the mustang is every bit possibe with the TL (other than getting the RWD to slide more)
i (and many others) do it in the winter (and some including i have done it in the summer). typically this is left for the snow, while its not as easy as the hand brake at first it is actually better once you learn how to use it since you can use both hands on the wheel and for switching gears. our system is nice since there isnt a handle to pull to release the brake. push on a little to engague and push again to release. figure it out and you only need a slight bit of pressure and time(never having to take your foot off the e-brake) and you can do it fast and efficantly

Us northerners use it well in the snow season
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

You can use the handbrake to do some crazy turns.. i do NOT recommend it though as its not for amateurs.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

doing what you liked to do in the mustang is every bit possibe with the TL (other than getting the RWD to slide more)
i (and many others) do it in the winter (and some including i have done it in the summer). typically this is left for the snow, while its not as easy as the hand brake at first it is actually better once you learn how to use it since you can use both hands on the wheel and for switching gears. our system is nice since there isnt a handle to pull to release the brake. push on a little to engague and push again to release. figure it out and you only need a slight bit of pressure and time(never having to take your foot off the e-brake) and you can do it fast and efficantly

Us northerners use it well in the snow season
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

You can use the handbrake to do some crazy turns.. i do NOT recommend it though as its not for amateurs.
Now that, to me are some logical reasons for this sort of conversion.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I am a Trained Professional!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
just curious you cant really do the ebrake drift with a foot brake right?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
sure you can, i do it all the time in the winter. no difference in the foot brake and the hand style, they both do the same thing. Id do it in the summer but i dont feel like messing up the Goodyear Eagle F1GS-D3's
Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mizouse
In some ways, particularly if you modify it not to lock, a foot emergency brake is easier to use than a hand e brake.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sure you can, i do it all the time in the winter. no difference in the foot brake and the hand style, they both do the same thing. Id do it in the summer but i dont feel like messing up the Goodyear Eagle F1GS-D3's
winters the only time i dare...i don't think i'd have the guts to do it on dry DRY pavement in fear of flexing my frame hahaha
Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Instructor

If you want to learn to do this i suggest finding a good dirt road with nothing to hit if you screw up and run off the road for a training grounds.. thats what I did and then i graduated to a parking lot (empty of course) where I made sure the pavement would respond as the dirt did (which it does not) and I could remain within a roads width and then and only then do i recommend (actually i never recommend it) doing this power slide move on the road.

so i will have to check out my parking brake situation. to be quite honest i assumed it was like all others i have ever used and never even used it. I have only had the car about 4 months and just haven't found the need i guess. Here ismy concern however... with the hand brake scenario I would hold the lock release button in and apply a very controlled amount of pressure to the back brakes. The good thing about the hand brake is i could add or release pressure to those back brakes dynamically and to "touch". I guess I dont see how you could do that with the foot setup unless as someone suggested you remove the locking mechanism on the pedal. Still I have much greater control and "touch" with my hands than my feet as do most non-monkeys, heehee.

Either way I just got my car out of the shop with a new spoiler kit and paint job so I doubt I will be doing any such crazy moves in this car in the near future anyway.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Drifting

The old TV series 'The Rockford Files' (on TV Land these days?), Jim Rockford (played by James Garner) drove a Pontiac Firebird, which had a foot operated emergency brake and automatic transmission, and did these turns every time he was chased. There was a special on about the series and they showed how the foot operated E brake was modified so it wouldn't lock.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MikePA
The old TV series 'The Rockford Files' (on TV Land these days?), Jim Rockford (played by James Garner) drove a Pontiac Firebird, which had a foot operated emergency brake and automatic transmission, and did these turns every time he was chased. There was a special on about the series and they showed how the foot operated E brake was modified so it wouldn't lock.

so when are we goin to get instructions on how to do that ?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
in fear of flexing my frame hahaha
wont happen

Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
If you want to learn to do this i suggest finding a good dirt road with nothing to hit if you screw up and run off the road for a training grounds.. thats what I did and then i graduated to a parking lot (empty of course) where I made sure the pavement would respond as the dirt did (which it does not) and I could remain within a roads width and then and only then do i recommend (actually i never recommend it) doing this power slide move on the road.

so i will have to check out my parking brake situation. to be quite honest i assumed it was like all others i have ever used and never even used it. I have only had the car about 4 months and just haven't found the need i guess. Here ismy concern however... with the hand brake scenario I would hold the lock release button in and apply a very controlled amount of pressure to the back brakes. The good thing about the hand brake is i could add or release pressure to those back brakes dynamically and to "touch". I guess I dont see how you could do that with the foot setup unless as someone suggested you remove the locking mechanism on the pedal. Still I have much greater control and "touch" with my hands than my feet as do most non-monkeys, heehee.

Either way I just got my car out of the shop with a new spoiler kit and paint job so I doubt I will be doing any such crazy moves in this car in the near future anyway.

next time your in the car just place your foot on the parking brake (while moving) and slowly depress it (keeping your foot on it) once you feel it grabbing to slow down dont push any harderbut hold it there. now with the pressure on it just simply give it just a half click more pressure and it will release. once you figure out how to do that good and quick its really a good break to do it with
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 PM
10th Gear

i rather it come back like a reg pedal i could deal with that