Got the 30K Checkup today on my 02 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002 | 04:27 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Smile Got the 30K Checkup today on my 02 TL-S

Well, one year (less 6 weeks! w/o tranny), one tranny, and 30,000 miles ago my car was new. Brought it in today for scheduled maintenance.

So far, I must report that the car (other than the obvious tranny failure) has been great. The bill came to $250 or so, but Honda picked up the tab.

I got an 02 RSX as a loaner, and that was fun, but small. I did like the feel of the seat and the wheel.

I thought it was interesting that they flushed the tranny. Before my tranny died, I had asked at the 15K inspection if they would do the tranny flush, and they told me that would not be needed for a long time. Now, they just did it and the tranny is only 8,000 miles old! Odd, no?

BTW - There was an 03 TL-S in the showroom in the new green color. YUK! Fugly! :yack:

Sorry if you have one, but it did not look nice to me at all.
Old 04-02-2002 | 04:52 PM
Racer

hey oblio98,

what do you get with the 30k checkup? do you think its worth 250 bucks???

i didnt even bother with the 15k check either....
i just change my oil every 5k with mobil 1

thx for the info.....
Old 04-02-2002 | 05:15 PM
Racer

it's good that u get a rsx as a loaner. went to park ave for intake & sway installation but just got a ford contour. btw, can't wait to get my car back tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2002 | 06:20 PM
Instructor

How come Honda paid for your 30K checkup? Did it have to do with having to replace your tranny? I'm asking cause I just brought my car in to have the tranny replaced, and I want as many freebies as I can get for my troubles.

And RSX loaners suck. They gave me one, but I'd much rather have a TL or RL loaner.
Old 04-02-2002 | 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by andres
And RSX loaners suck. They gave me one, but I'd much rather have a TL or RL loaner.
See if they'll loan you an NSX next time
Old 04-02-2002 | 06:37 PM
Pro

I wish I had an RSX loaner! I'll trade you my Mercury Sable for it! I am in week 3 having to drive this car waiting for my tranny install.

Jon, when I took my TL-S in for the 15K service and reported the tranny slipping out of 5th, the service manager told me that Acura's first response to the tranny problem was to flush it first...then if that did not work (started slipping after next 1K miles) they would replace it...mind you, the transmission has not failed yet, but they know it is about to. So, they are obviously gathering data about this 'known problem' and applying process to overcome it.

I just wonder why after 8K they are flushing your tranny again. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-02-2002 | 10:14 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Yeah, I wondered about that too. But, they assured me that the new tranny would be fine, blah, blah, blah....

The 30K inspection was free as compensation for my car being down for 6 weeks waiting for the tranny. Other members had a car payment made. Maybe since I only financed my TL-S for 2 years, my payment being $560 per month, was too high for them to pay so they chose the inspection instead.

Either way, I would have rather NOT had the tranny failure.

As far as the maintenance goes, I always thought that the scheduled maintenance was required to preserve the warranty. As for it being "worth it", I am not sure, but I am not taking any chances between now and when the '04 comes out next year.

This car must survive to be traded in or sold when the 6 speed '04 TL-S is available. At that time I will compare the Acura with the G35, etc. and get a new car. I am not going to keep this one past next year, all because of the tranny.

:-jon
Old 04-02-2002 | 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by oblio98
Other members had a car payment made. Maybe since I only financed my TL-S for 2 years, my payment being $560 per month, was too high for them to pay so they chose the inspection instead.

Jon,

I think you got hosed! My payment is almost $600/month and Acura agreed to pay it without hesitation! Maybe they did it for me because I was getting my 3rd tranny but I think you should see if you can get more out of them.
Old 04-03-2002 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

So if my tranny is only gonna take a week to get replaced, should I ask for any type of compensation?

I know I sound like I'm taking the RSX for granted cause some members have gotten some POS's, but the RSX is way underpowered. The blind spot is huge, and I think it's kinda ugly. But on the other hand, I am very thankful I did not get a geo metro.
Old 04-03-2002 | 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RedLined

Jon,

I think you got hosed! My payment is almost $600/month and Acura agreed to pay it without hesitation! Maybe they did it for me because I was getting my 3rd tranny but I think you should see if you can get more out of them.
Mine is $650 and they paid it without any hassles.

P.S. What exactly did u get for your 30k Maint.?
Old 04-04-2002 | 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Info requested

Who did y'all talk to for Acura to agree to make a month's payment and/or pay the 30k service bill?

How long were you without the car? I imagine you were provided a loaner as well.
Old 04-04-2002 | 12:01 PM
Racer

went in for 30k yesterday, i think I am being billed 300... goddamn devils! No tranny problem so no freebies for me, just a lot of aggravation dealing with service reps.

oh yeah, hooked up a Pontiac SUnfire for my loaner!!!!

TLS : 0-60 ~6.5
Sunfire: 0-60 = yes
Old 04-04-2002 | 02:12 PM
RWD
10th Gear

15K Service - Throttle Body Service Charge

I took my TL-S in for a 15K prepaid service. They called me to report I needed Throttle Body Service which was not covered by the 2 years of service I received as part of the purchase. When I asked how often this Throttle Body Service was needed, they replied, every time I change the oil.

I was in a hurry and paid the $50.00. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems excessive to me.
Old 04-04-2002 | 02:18 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Re: 15K Service - Throttle Body Service Charge

Originally posted by RWD
I took my TL-S in for a 15K prepaid service. They called me to report I needed Throttle Body Service which was not covered by the 2 years of service I received as part of the purchase. When I asked how often this Throttle Body Service was needed, they replied, every time I change the oil.

I was in a hurry and paid the $50.00. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems excessive to me.
WTF is that?

Whatever it is, how can it not be covered? Sounds like you got hosed...

Old 04-04-2002 | 02:21 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Re: Info requested

Originally posted by Questor
Who did y'all talk to for Acura to agree to make a month's payment and/or pay the 30k service bill?

How long were you without the car? I imagine you were provided a loaner as well.

Questor,

I called the 800 number and tried to get a free extended warranty. They said, in essence, NO F-ing WAY! I told them I was worried that the new tranny would fail. The dealer later told me that that guy approved the "free" inspection. I guess I should have held out for more. I was in a loaner for 6 weeks!

Old 04-04-2002 | 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: 15K Service - Throttle Body Service Charge

Originally posted by RWD

What the hell is throttle body service?? If and if they actually do something, what do they do? Take the plastic intake hose and and spray some carb cleaner spray in there.

I'm not certain but that just sounds like dealer B.S. Offers 2 years service for free when buying the car but when the time comes for it, charge you for non-sense......unbelievable. I'd be pissed!

Let us know if they tell you that you need headlight fluid the next time you get service. With the way some of these dealers treat their customers as if they were born yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with something like that. They certainly have the audacity and lack of shame to ask for anything.

It's like game to them. "Let's see if this sucker buy's this excuse"
Old 04-05-2002 | 12:01 AM
Intermediate

I bet many here would be willing to provide a free service to throttle some body at Acura.