Go easy on me, first timer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008 | 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Angry Go easy on me, first timer...

Okay, so I have had my 2003 silver Tl-S for just under 2 months now and this is my first time posting. Bought used from a lot with just under 80k and love the damn car. I been reading the tranny horror stories and got worried so I gave Acura a call to see what was up with mine. Apparently there has already been a a recall done on my vehicle and I am no longer covered by any recall unless it has the extended warranty that I do not have. That is some bull!!!! Now I am know this has been covered about 30 times a day but I need to vent, i felt my car down shift a little to hard the other day on deceleration and am now starting to get paranoid. I am starting to consider selling it before it goes all bad, im just not trying to get stuck with a $4k tranny job, I didn't expect this from an Acura, main reason they bought me over was because I thought they were dependable. I love this car but cannot afford to keep it if the tranny is indeed going out. Am I the only one feeling this way? Thanks for listening and the site is off the hook.
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:31 PM
I have dead hookers in

hard shifts are normal if the tranny and engine are cold. I think you are freaking out over nothing. If your 02 only has 80K on the odo then you are still covered and have nothing to worry about. If it goes out they fix it. I just rolled over on 90K yesterday and mine is running beautifully. Just relax and enjoy the car. If it continues to show signs of a bad tranny then take it to the dealer
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:35 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Tom?....
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:36 PM
Instructor

1. The said recall has nothing to do with tranny failure.

2. Check your VIN with Acura and see if your tranny is covered under the extended warranty. I think you should still have couple years left on that, provided that yours is not a salvaged title.

3. While it is easy to get scared reading so many horror stories about the tranny failure, in actuality the failure rate is less than 10% at the most. (I think I heard about 7% but forgot the source.) I'm not losing sleep over it.
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ya im not worried about the hard shifts so much as I am about the downshifting when I lift off the throttle at slower speeds, but it is real inconsistant. I called my local dealer and acura claim services they both said I was not covered by extended warranty. I want to enjoy it more trust me, but when Acura tells me if it goes out your screwed what am I to think you know? I asked directly if my car shows symptoms is there anything Acura will do she said NO!! Am I stuck? (and thanks for the reply's)
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:50 PM
Team Owner

late year 03 production is not listed in the covered VINs for the warranty extension
BUT
acura is well aware the problem was not solved- it was just a number picked to settle the court case.
So they have a ~goodwill~ policy for those people not automatically covered with 03s

If it acts up- go to the dealer-
some minimum wage phone answering person -who only reads from The Book Of NO!!!- at the 800 number,,, has no authority,,, and only serves to freak you out.

If the dealer inspects it- finds codes or driving symptoms of imminent failure- they really do try to help you out,,, to them- making SOME money is better than none!
All you have to be is nice to them- be appreciative-be nice, not demanding YOU WILL!!! give me a new transmission...
Know there are customer surveys... and how you would like to give them perfect 10s....
Whatever your truth is- in school- new baby---- You are dealing with a human- in person with the S/M- just tell them and they will hook you up

Its actually great -IMO- to get a TL and then it gets a freebie trans- thats half a new car!
throw in spark plugs- do a fuel cleaner type program and its ready to run and run- its like a while brand new car

The SERVICE MANAGER calls acura regional warranty rep and gets approval for 100 percent coverage, or maybe you pay 500 labor and they pay for the transmission and offer a 3 year 36k miles warranty for 300- thats a score~

So if you already like driving the TL and know what the average fuel mileage is,
keep the TL- you wont find another car like it, camrys cant touch it in handling.
OR- sell it now and get something that runs on 87 gas and is just a daily driver.
The TL does require an expensive ($1000) service at 105, the same thing other cars need at 60- the timing belt/water pump-tune up. And its a car you can take anywhere anytime and depend on.

read the 1st page of Tranny failure thread here, or the known symptoms are listed on acura.com too

does it slip/rev and not accellerate quickly in 2nd gear- like getting on the freeway?
Or take several seconds to engage drive from N
or hang in 2nd and slam into 3rd? or luggg lsowly into 3rd
Most of the time thats when we feel trans prob- on accell- the clutches wear out and slip

The Recall was a seperate issue to install an external oil jet for 2nd gear.
That only gets done once.

The court ordered 7year+9 month 109k- some VINS get 114.5k- miles warranty- whichever time/miles limit occurs first- is for the early wearout of the clutches

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 11-10-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2008 | 04:56 PM
Team Owner

when you call, what do you expect them to say?- oh sure- out of warranty- not covered VIN- bring it in FREE no problem

NO- the Service WRITER is trying to make money for themself and the company- that is their job after all- to sell service items

The MANAGER is who decides what happens- and they cant do anything without inspecting/diagnosing the car
They will say its 100$ diagnosis fee- but if its bad trans, that is included in warranty or whatever deal you work out with them
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have done plugs filters and such and it runs alot better than when I first got it, gas mileage isn't as great as i thought it would be but I cant complain compare to what I used to get to my 5.0 mustang. Thanks for your response 01tl4tl, I appreciate you taking the time as i am a noob and don't know much on these cars. My tranny does not slip under any acceleration thought it stuttered once on me before on slow acceleration. Im going to wait it through talk to the dealer in person and see what they can do, I guess ill calm down and enjoy the ride for now. One more thing whats the best mileage you guys have gotten to a fuel tank being conservative on the gas.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ya I understand how it works.... I'm in the motorcycle industry and know that it is a business.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:08 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

One more thing whats the best mileage you guys have gotten to a fuel tank being conservative on the gas.
on all highway i got over 400 and city i get about 330 or so...
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got close to 400 on 80% highway a couple times but city driving dramatically drops that. I guess i'm not far off from normal. Would you say gas mileage is affected with it being lowered and bigger wheels? And with it being dropped how much is the ride quality affected?
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:20 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

oh yea dude that definitely plays a part..well the bigger wheels..the drop doesnt affect it..its more the wheels...keep ur tire pressure on tabs and do the tune-up and seafoam works wonders if u havent done it...i wll be seafoaming soon...
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just drive it. If it down shifts once harshly it can be too many things other then the tranny failing.

What happens when you become obsessed with a problem is you get a problem. No really, you'll start fooling around, going over to the dealership to get it checked out. Doing this tests where you punch the car to confirm either way how the tranny is.

What I'd do is the following:
-Put $200/month aside for maintenance
-Have your car inspected about 6 months or 6k miles before your extended tranny warranty expires.
- Remember its a sedan, not a race car

Your TL is one of the best cars to own and next to a Toyota has the lowest cost to operating. Even if you replace the tranny for $2500 cash it'd still be cheaper then owning ANY domestic car - according to used car stats.

If you want to get better gas mileage you're going to need to slow your take offs and reduce your punching on the highway. Getting 25mpg mixed and 30+mpg isn't difficult it just requires consistency, something most drivers lack. Cruise control is your friend and from my experience gets me about 10% better mileage.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know your gonna say to search it lol but man the search engine doesn't like me, I can never find anything on the search. I want to drop it but don't want to sacrifice my ride quality since it is my daily. Thanks for the info though man.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:27 PM
10th Gear

i have this exact same car with almost the exact same buying story? I also had the same problem and both our ID names have duce in them weird anyway i took mine to the shop they cleaned the throttle body and it runs perfect now....
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:35 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

I know your gonna say to search it lol but man the search engine doesn't like me, I can never find anything on the search. I want to drop it but don't want to sacrifice my ride quality since it is my daily. Thanks for the info though man.
check my album...im dropped on Eibach's..the Pro-Kit....2.1front 1.7rear...the ride is a lil stiffer than stock but im still on stock shocks so that might be my cause too..check this link for our recent meet in Chi-town...mine is the Anthracite Metallic(dark gray) one..that will give u an idea...
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/11-09-2008-chicago-rc-autoworks-azine-meet-56k-warning-695756/

Last edited by ZEUS'O3TL; 11-10-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

haha, and looks like we have almost the same amounts of postings lol. Ya it runs good and strong very consistent in its throttle response I think I might be freaking myself out. I come from the other side of the tracks, I love my mustang but Im loving staying under the radar with the TL.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like I like, looks good with the black wheels and the drop is just to my liking. Thats the look I want, thanks.
Old 11-10-2008 | 06:31 PM
Registered Member

there must be something wrong with my car... i get 250 city and 285 highway
Old 11-10-2008 | 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? 400+ miles per tank is attainable...
Old 11-10-2008 | 07:01 PM
Registered Member

if 400 possible i need to know how cuz driving in new york is a pain with these high gas prices. Also i use more gas now that I have aftermarket headers, cat and exhaust installed, at least from what ive noticed
Old 11-10-2008 | 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got it for 13 out the door financed, but man I love this car. The thing is that Acura claims told me that I do not have an extended warranty for anything I take that as everything from now on is out of pocket for me. The last month or so I have been driving 65-70 everywhere, bearly pass 3k and my take off is slow, I been taking notes specifically for gas mileage purposes. I know the more I think about the more im going to think its true so ima try and stop but still, not my dealer but Acura claims telling me im not covered on any recall and or warranty worrys me somewhat you know? I'm totally ignorant to the fact so thats my way of thinking. If anyone is getting less than 370 to a full tank of mostly highway driving then ya there is something wrong.
Old 11-10-2008 | 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLGOD84
if 400 possible i need to know how cuz driving in new york is a pain with these high gas prices. Also i use more gas now that I have aftermarket headers, cat and exhaust installed, at least from what ive noticed
I did it fully modded (intake, headers, full exhaust + Unichip)... the trick is consistent highway driving. I got 30+ mpg on a trip from NH down to DC.