Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Gauge

Has anyone had a problem with the gas gauge reading empty and the fuel light coming on when the tank isn't near empty?
Old 11-17-2001, 03:43 AM
4dr & I like it that way

my gas gauge has gone from 3/4's, to 1/2, back to 3/4's over teh course of a few miles and other weird fluctuations quite often
my fuel light turns on when there is around 3 gallons left in the tank fairly consistenly however. almost every car maker has the empty light turn on when there are a couple gallons left in the tank so you have ample warning to fill up
Old 11-17-2001, 04:20 AM
Burning Brakes

i always have about 80-100 miles left
Old 11-17-2001, 01:02 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Nop!!! No problem so far...

always fills up the gas before the light comes on...
Old 11-17-2001, 10:53 PM
Racer

Yea..my 99 the light comes on with 3 or 4 gallons left in the tank..it is a safety feature so you know you gotta fill up and you won't run out!
Old 11-17-2001, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

umm, read the manual, it states that the light will go off when there are 3 gallons of gas left... it's for your safety.... you don't want to see the light on when your car is really out of gas don't you?

Davediego, could it be you were driving up and down hills? when you are going uphills your gauge will show you having less gas than you really are, and on the other hand when you are going down hill your gauge will show more gas than you really have.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:36 PM
4dr & I like it that way

no it happens when I'm on a flat road. also sometimes when I first turn on the car the gauge will show my tank being around half of what its really at and then slowly rise up to where it should be. Nearly everyone I know with an Acura/Honda says their gas guage is a little funky like mine. It doesn't bother me too much, I reset one of my trip odometes each time I fill up so I always know how much farther I can drive
Old 11-17-2001, 11:44 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MahaRaja
Yea..my 99 the light comes on with 3 or 4 gallons left in the tank..it is a safety feature so you know you gotta fill up and you won't run out!
Same here.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:36 AM
Drifting

So the empty light comes on a little early... is this really a problem? I always fill up my tank at the 1/4 mark.

By the way, has anyone checked to see if the gas gauge is linear? On my Accord it was very nonlinear. The indicator would stay pretty much at full for a while, then it starts coming down faster and faster the more gas you use up. The "half tank" mark is actually around the 3/4 point.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I had my gauge changed 2 times already...The gauge was erradic, when I would fill up the tank, it wouldn't show full, then it would read empty, etc etc...So far so good..Besides that, the light turns on with about 5 gallons of gas left..
Ed
Old 11-18-2001, 09:32 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by daverman
So the empty light comes on a little early... is this really a problem? I always fill up my tank at the 1/4 mark.

By the way, has anyone checked to see if the gas gauge is linear? On my Accord it was very nonlinear. The indicator would stay pretty much at full for a while, then it starts coming down faster and faster the more gas you use up. The "half tank" mark is actually around the 3/4 point.
yeah, it looks like I'm getting good mpg until I get past 100 miles, then the guage seems to move faster. There was this one time when I drove 190 miles and the needle went from 1/2 to 1/4 which calculates 44mpg??? That's impossible....even if I had the A/C off and I was cruising at 65 mph.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Nope...Not here
Old 11-19-2001, 06:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by fahoumh

yeah, it looks like I'm getting good mpg until I get past 100 miles, then the guage seems to move faster. There was this one time when I drove 190 miles and the needle went from 1/2 to 1/4 which calculates 44mpg??? That's impossible....even if I had the A/C off and I was cruising at 65 mph.
You cant use the gauge as literal marks -- i.e. 1/2 means I used 8.5 gallons -- they aren't calibrated that way

Mine drops fast to about 1/2 way then slows down
Old 11-19-2001, 12:21 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
You cant use the gauge as literal marks -- i.e. 1/2 means I used 8.5 gallons -- they aren't calibrated that way
yeah, that's what I'm saying.....they should make a more accurate guage.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

The low gas light only came on once and it was 2 weeks ago. I didnt even know we had one. The needle was on or below the empty line.
Many times people experience problems with the gauge is b/c of the "floater". Its bad to "top off" or get every last ounce of gas into your tank. When the pump clicks off you really shouldnt put any more gas into the tank. when you "force" more gas in (to get it to an even amt) you run the risk of damaging the floater.
A mechanic once told me this but i dont listen. Who want to fish around in their pocket for 67 cents? lol
Old 11-19-2001, 06:08 PM
Banned

The gas gauge in my Acura is the most accurate one I have ever had on a car. In an ideal world, the gauge would be perfectly linear but sometimes they are purposely designed *not* to be. Back in the early 80s, GM came out with a new V-8 engine for Cadillac. The engine was a heck of a performer but it sucked gas big time. GM received many complaints from consumers, but not because the car was costing them $$$ to fill up the tank. The complaints revolved around the car seeming like it was using gas faster than it should. Owners would complain they would make a 50 mile round trip and the needle would be just below the 3/4 mark. So GM designed and implemented a non-linear gas gauge. The needle stays at or near full for an extraordinary long time, then starts to drop normally until just below half, where it then drops faster than normal between 1/3 and 1/4 full and then reads linear for the last 1/4 (to make sure no one unexpectedly runs out of gas). The next year, the same engine in the same car with the new gauge produced far fewer complaints. The car was still using the same amount of gas, but because people were so impressed with how far they could go before it seemed like they used any gas, they didn't notice the gauge making up for it on the other end. Many other car manufacturers followed suit (domestic makers anyway). A great marketing tool, but obviously it shows you can't rely on the current reading to give you an exact measurement on what's left in the tank.

Again, from what I've seen, the gauge in my Acura does appear to be quite linear.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:52 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by pianoman41
Again, from what I've seen, the gauge in my Acura does appear to be quite linear.
you're saying it is linear?....btw, has anyone watched the gas needle while keeping the car in VTEC?:p
Old 11-19-2001, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41
The gas gauge in my Acura is the most accurate one I have ever had on a car. In an ideal world, the gauge would be perfectly linear but sometimes they are purposely designed *not* to be. Back in the early 80s, GM came out with a new V-8 engine for Cadillac. The engine was a heck of a performer but it sucked gas big time. GM received many complaints from consumers, but not because the car was costing them $$$ to fill up the tank. The complaints revolved around the car seeming like it was using gas faster than it should. Owners would complain they would make a 50 mile round trip and the needle would be just below the 3/4 mark. So GM designed and implemented a non-linear gas gauge. The needle stays at or near full for an extraordinary long time, then starts to drop normally until just below half, where it then drops faster than normal between 1/3 and 1/4 full and then reads linear for the last 1/4 (to make sure no one unexpectedly runs out of gas). The next year, the same engine in the same car with the new gauge produced far fewer complaints. The car was still using the same amount of gas, but because people were so impressed with how far they could go before it seemed like they used any gas, they didn't notice the gauge making up for it on the other end. Many other car manufacturers followed suit (domestic makers anyway). A great marketing tool, but obviously it shows you can't rely on the current reading to give you an exact measurement on what's left in the tank.

Very interesting read Pianoman, thanks.

As for our gauges guys, at least our gauges don't swing up and down depending on left or right turns like my 1979 Caprice did