As an FYI, I'm about the get my 4th transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an FYI, I'm about the get my 4th transmission...

2002 TL:

1st tranny replaced at 30k
2nd tranny replaced at 88k
3rd tranny replaced at 136k

Tranny failure symptoms:
1st failure was catastophic, with car lurching instantly from 70MPH in 5th gear to 25MPH into 2nd gear;

2nd failure was noted before it got to severe, with tach lingering up to a few hundred RPM after upshifts from 2nd to 3rd gear;

3rd failure was bad shuddering at light throttle pressure around 1600 RPM in 3rd gear, although shuddering was noted at 2200RPM in 4th gear as well.

Acura is willing to replace tranny at no charge for parts, and $600 labor charge to me. They ought to replace the tranny entirely at not cost to me just for having to put up with this crap four times. I will sell the car when the replacement is finished as I have no desire to do this a 5th time.
Oddly enough I may consider an MDX or an RL as my next car because despite the wretched trannies (and horrible OEM brakes), the car has otherwise proved extremely durable. Only repair money spent on the car in 136k miles was $3k spent at 129k miles at the stealership to have timing belt/water pump replaced and some front end suspension parts replaced from wear. I long ago solved the OEM brake problem with Powerslot rotors and EBC, and later, Akebono pads.

Oh, and I've run through 2 complete sets of plus sized tires using Continental ContiExtreme Contact 225/55/16 tires. I was extremely satified with the handling and the traction in winter conditions here in CT.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Sounds like YOU should be happy they will do it for just labor
Other car makers would tell you to take a flying leap regardless of past replacement
you got 50 out of trans- congrats sir- you also got 4 trans essentially free
so over the course of owning the car, you had to drive a loaner 3 times-
is that your complaint? really???
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 trannies is a bit excessive.

Now dont take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to get an idea of your driving, and maintence habbits. Did you ever change the fluid? How hard do you drive? Do you autoshift a lot?

Glad they are only charging you $600 instead of over 3k. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

The replacements before feb 2005 were the same junk as OE
The replacements since then have an outstanding record!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980

I'm just trying to get an idea of your driving, and maintence habbits. Did you ever change the fluid? How hard do you drive? Do you autoshift a lot?

And my none of which matter with these trans.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And my none of which matter with these trans.

01tl4tl, the post-05 trannyies havent had a big failure record? Just wondering, my third tranny was installed in September of 05. Should I be worried?

This was about 35K-40K miles ago i'm guessing, no symptoms yet.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Team Owner

There is a lonely thread here for post 2/05 replacement failures
NOTE that's trans built and installed after feb 2005-
Miss Sept would be after Miss Feb in my calendar!

Very few there compared to the many on the regular failure thread
If its good this long you got a winner!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

To 01tl4tl , NO idea at all why you'd come jumping down my throat for my posting. To say 'congrats because I got 50k' out of a transmission is such a sarcastic comment that it doesnt even warrant a reply beyond telling you that your comment was dumb and unnecessarily provocative.

ChrisQ1980 I understand the point of your question and I take no offense. On the other hand, I dont beat on my car. I'm 40 years old and certainly dont go into high school parking lots to do donuts and brake-stands! Nevertheless, as Kris has already indicated numerous times over the years, there has never been a correlation between driving style and failure rate.

Do I ever use sportshift? Of course, but it comes with the car with the intent that it be used, and I always treat the shifts the way I would if the car was a 5 speed with a manual clutch. I know at what RPMS to be shifting and usually back off the throttle just a tad at the shifts so things mesh together without being under excessive load.

Oh and the current tranny that failed was replaced in May of 2005, three months passed the supposed redesign, yet it had the 2nd gear tranny bypass tube on it and as I understand it, the reworked rebuild design in '05 eliminated the external bypass 'fix' that was initially from the recall.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Sounds like YOU should be happy they will do it for just labor
Other car makers would tell you to take a flying leap regardless of past replacement
you got 50 out of trans- congrats sir- you also got 4 trans essentially free
so over the course of owning the car, you had to drive a loaner 3 times-
is that your complaint? really???
Old 07-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Team Owner

Well- if you want to go just on the facts of the matter- start by backing off andf looking at them!

Your 05 replacement was one of the last of the old style- thats why the old oil spray kit outside of trans- yes the production START date was feb 05- and they probably had a number of units already buil tup and they continue to ship them out for several months

So you really have no knowledge or reason to complain about the failure of a part known to fail- what other company covers the warranty so well? none!!

Most car makers warranty goes to 50k on the trans and engine, maybe the whole car is a bic lighter- 5000 starts and throw it away

And they would say SOL at 51k to your failure, sure it took a court case for Acura BUT the warranty we get now is awesome.
Totally unheard of to buy a car with 100k on it and next week get a $4000 transmission for no charge- thats a score beyond belief!!!
so yes you and all the others who got replacements- even if multiple times- I say a loaner car a few times beats owning a hyundai!
And with the prob now essentially cured---we are driving in style

Now with some basic math, even those over 109 can get coverage!!

So for you to say my comments are sarcastic and dumb?
sarcastic- often-! to make a point!!!
dumb-? check my forum feedback then issue your public apology here please
Old 07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

01tl4tl given it a rest. You're not so 'thou and mighty' with your thread count. Heck, for all your dribble, you only started 12 threads! Posting your kind of retorts for 3000+ comments doesn't give you some kind of prestige or immunity from being called an ass when you act like one.

To say that I shouldn't complain about the failure of a part known to fail belies logic. SINCE WHEN was it generallly known and accepted that a transmission should only yield 50k miles or less between failures??! You sure are an easy guy to please.

And, assuming you are correct about Feb. '05 being the start date for a correctly remanufactured tranny design then wouldn't you agree with me that Acura should replace my tranny for free since the one put into my car in May '05, three months after the 'new and improved' tranny design, was actually one of the old rebuilds?? So why should I have to shell out $600 to replace a part that was defective at the time when Acura put it into my car.

Reliability is a subjective standard. Everyone's threshold tolerance for breakdowns is different. But I'd venture to say a reasonable person would agree with me that a tranny ought to last for MUCH longer than any of the three that have so far been in my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Something has GOT to be wrong with your driving and I am too of the opinion that you should be happy with what you are getting/ have gotten... My TL-S has 42k on it now with no tranny issues (knock on wood) and there are numerous other members here with no issues to date. Start looking at your habits not Acura...

Just my
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

temporary threadjack

How many threads one starts versus how many one contributes factual automotive knowledge to help other members- are 2 different things-
yesterday I helped 2 members save a total of $5100 they were certain to be screwed out of
And that was before lunch- what did you do beside rant and badmouth members?

Acura is giving you another replacement- newest design- trans, thats $3500 there
They are asking you to contribute $600 labor only!
You want a free replacement because last one wasnt the new style, ok you got it!
so again I must ask? Whats the real problem?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

2002AcuraTL, I really think you got a steal of a deal there at $600 for labor only. I don't know of any other car manufacturer's that will even look at you considering the car has 136k on it. I feel your pain on the fact that Acura should've done right on the 3rd trans and I'm sure you're not the only one in that situation but besides the fact Acura is still willing to work a deal with you which I think is great.

And yes, 01tl4tl is a consumers advocate in regards to helping many members including myself. I just bought my 02 TL-S with 109k+ miles on it and with the info I was given I managed to have the dealer cover a new trans 100% even though I'm at 110k+ miles as of now and I didn't even buy the car from them. I'm sure it saved me at least $3000 if not more. Good luck on the new trans as I've heard nothing but good things on the latest and greatest build. Take it easy.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Let's not comparing our existing tranny problem with other car makers or how other makers handle it because we are driving an acura and not other makers.

As far as our tranny problem goes, they don't just give you a free tranny. they are giving you a free tranny because they keep putting in the crap tranny. If they just put one good tranny in, then noone will need a free tranny from them. If there is no known problem with the tranny, and they don't charge you for replacing it, then I would call it free. Acura should actually pay you to put those crappy trannies in your car for recycling their trannies until they ran out of those junks.

How about I sell you a new car, and I will fix it for free every day, no charge, no questions asked, free drinks and donuts, free bicycles loaner, free shuttle, and more, and the car will break down every mile you drive. How could someone be happy with 4 trannies replaced...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

OK - so many of us here- because this is a tech and help forum,
have experienced the trans failure.
Once the post 2/05 trans began appearing IN cars-
there have been comparativly few failures- yes bummer to anyone who got the last of the bogus ones- nice of acura to cover them still too- above and well beyond the agreement

When any company makes a design change there is always old product still in circulation for a few months.
Acura has been very good about taking care of those who know their rights-
does the local level commission based pay Service Writer want to admit to anything ever being warranty-..............NO
especially with this loophole on the 5% odometer
It was intended to cover leased cars being charged over mileage limits fees,
but we can use that to our benifit~

"How could someone be happy with 4 trannies replaced..."
simple- never spent a dime on them until now! things happen, you bought a friday car...
you really have to look at the total operating cost over time on your car- thats where our cars shine, yea maybe its had 2 trans in 100k, but not even a tune up yet!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
I do see your point if we look on the bright side of the problem, and I am sure many have appreciated Acura's effort for stepping up further to take care of the problem. But, on the dark side, many other people are out of luck trying to get it replaced one way or the other without hassles or paying a good amount for it. I am not arguing or anything, and I am sure you are here just to help, I am just feeling the pain for those who have to go through a lot of troubles to get the tranny replaced.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Just because you don't read about these post 05 transmissions having problems too often on AZ doesn't mean it's not happening to tons of other TLs, since AZ only represents a small fraction of TL owners out there. I have one of the post 05 transmissions (replaced in early 06) and I feel/notice hiccups every now and then, but it's not enough for me to be too concerned yet. I just hope that Acura will replace mine if it goes out (I have an 03 with a VIN that is not covered).

2002AcuraTL - While this tranny situation is BS for you because you had to deal with this 4 times now (and almost everyone here that has had their transmission replaced can sympathize), I think paying the labor charge is fair considering its out of warranty.

01tl4tl - People will obviously come to forums to rant and rave. Some might take the position that ranters need to be put in their place, but that only brings hostility. This might have played out better if you weren't so coarse with your first post.

Just my