Front Windshield Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Windshield Tinting

I am going to get my front windshiled tinted this Tuesday (Day after Tommorow) at the Tint Shop in Great Neck. He gave me a great price and so I made an appointment.

RIght now I have 20% all around and I love it!! I saw a car with windshield tinteed 50% in the front windshiled and it looked hot, so I wanted to do the same thing. I want to know from you guys, if there are anything that I should be worried about besides cops, cuz I am aware of that risk already.

I sat in a jeep wrangler with 50% in the front and I could see fine at night time. This is what got me to go ahead and also make the appointment. But things that I'm worried about is like EZ-PASS. Will the toll booths pick up the EZ PASS through the tinted windshile or no? Any other negatives that I should be worried about?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What is he going to charge you? I probably want to get it done too but I would love to see it first from the inside looking out of course.

btw, I don't think that it should affect the EZ-Pass.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Advanced

i have double limo 2% on all 4 windows and then i have 20% on my winshield. it is pretty hard to drive at night but not impossible. and yes speedpass will pickup the thing. i have used it before. other than cops and cant really see there is no negatives. but with you having 20 all around and 50 on the winshield you will be able to see just fine. things just wont seem as bright as they once did out your front windshield once its tinted.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:36 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not see any problem with EZ-Pass or any thing like that. But it might be of concern to you at night and when it rains. I don't know if it rains a lot, but it does snow there. It rains hard here in Texas and I was thinking about getting the front winshield tintied, but decided against it cause if it rains at night, it is going to be hell trying to drive home.....

How much they charging and Good Luck with the ride...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luxurycarson20s
i have double limo 2% on all 4 windows and then i have 20% on my winshield. it is pretty hard to drive at night but not impossible. and yes speedpass will pickup the thing. i have used it before. other than cops and cant really see there is no negatives. but with you having 20 all around and 50 on the winshield you will be able to see just fine. things just wont seem as bright as they once did out your front windshield once its tinted.
Thats rediculous man. How in gds name do you drive? And what are you doing in the car thats so private?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

deyum i wish i knew how dark sh*t was before i had mine done. i got 10%. which at the time i thought was dark enough but its not ITS DEF NOT. if i could do back i.d for even darker. as it is now tho, its hard at night to make turns cus the left pillar is in my field of vision. does that make sense?! n esp. in a college town at night mad drunk white kids runnin around so its kinda a problem. even tho id shouldve gone darker
Old 06-20-2004, 09:45 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup, driving at night wont be a problem untill you realize the cops give you $44 tickets twice a day.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:58 PM
TL-S driver

Why would you do that? 20%? I'm still questioning tinting at all but 20%?? how do you see??
Old 06-20-2004, 10:01 PM
TL-S driver

what is double limo 2% tint? is that a double layer of 2% tint sheets? why not just paint your windows black? "And what are you doing in the car thats so private?"....exactly.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Banned

Alright, I wanted to see if there were any Negatives, but since I dont see any, I guess I'm goign to go ahead with it. I'll post pics when its done. And I also with the others am amazed at 'luxarycaron20s' setup. As it is, with my 20% tints, I find it hard to back up at night time, on a dark driveway or road, having that on my windshiield, I just can't imagine.

For all you guys wondering, 50%, is basically like the shade of the bottom edge of our sun strip on the top of our windshield. I would say the bulk of it is about 30% but the very bottom edge is about 50%, so basically bringing that shade all the way down the windshield.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Banned

i'm running 15% in the back, and 50% in the front windows and windshield.....i have absolutley no problem driving with it at night, rain, fog.....whatever. mabye its cuz i'm used to it tho, but from my experience it didn't make anything worse.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Pro

just wear sunglasses.........

i think it retarded getting the front windshield tinted...and god forbid u ever rear end someone and its made known that it's tinted. You'll be paying for their kids college tuition.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Instructor

I wear my sunglasses at night.. so I can .. so I can.. oops.. damn.. got caught up in Corey Heart from the 80's.. my bad! LOL
Old 06-21-2004, 12:03 PM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by etxxz
yup, driving at night wont be a problem untill you realize the cops give you $44 tickets twice a day.
statute of limitations?

I have my front winshield tinted, not only does it reduce the interior temp when the car is outside (godsend for dark interior owners) but it reduces the road glare from oncoming traffic headlamps and makes for no fumbling around from eye glasses to sunglasses when driving.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:42 PM
@ slide or die @

yup bro, its nationally ilegal and cops love to give tickets away for this :bananahump:
Old 06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoCivic
statute of limitations?

I have my front winshield tinted, not only does it reduce the interior temp when the car is outside (godsend for dark interior owners) but it reduces the road glare from oncoming traffic headlamps and makes for no fumbling around from eye glasses to sunglasses when driving.
I think the cops would be limited to not giving you more than one ticket a day since the first cop would tell you to fix the windshield. It would be assumed it would take more than a day to do, so each time after that first time would be another "You already got a ticket, get it fixed."

Also, the tint shop better be excellent. If there is so much as a fleck of dust or dirt that gets caught between the window and the film - guess what you, and everyone else in the car, gets to look at when you drive? :thumbsdn: Nothing beats getting into your car and the fist thing you hear out of your passenger's mouth is "Dude, what’s this on your glass???" ... as they sit there and try to pick/scrape at it, and your tint, with their fingernails. Point being, the windshield is the primary window you and others look through in your car, that window had better come out perfect.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:05 PM

What do you do with the inspection stickers and stuff like that... Are you going to put the tint on top or under it... What happens when you scrape off your inspections sticker are you going to take the tint off...

I've thought about getting it done also..
Old 06-21-2004, 02:16 PM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by Mr
What do you do with the inspection stickers and stuff like that... Are you going to put the tint on top or under it... What happens when you scrape off your inspections sticker are you going to take the tint off...

Stickers go on the outside of the tint, and I had them not tint the area where my VIN was. Really, at 35% you can rarely tell its tinted unless its an overcast day.

35% on the windshield, and 20% on every other window.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Advanced

the reason for my tint looking so dark is mainly for looks, my idea of tint is if your putting it on, its on so nobody can see in. plus down in FL cops are alot more tolerant of tint down here. etxxz has seen my car and can vouch for the tint. i am going to try and take some pictures for you guys to see.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a tint fan no doubt. My TL-s has 35% windows and 20% rear, none on the front (because I was living in MN at the time and they are hella strict. no less than 50% allowed on any window. My 92 Accord has 20% windows and 5% rear, 5% on the top of the windshield (eyebrow)

Now, onto my point. For the folks with double layered tint on the sides and tint on the front windshield. Pray that you do not get in an accident. If you do, I can guarantee that if it's discovered you had an exceedingly amount of tint that in a judges mind could impair your full vision and an accident could be avoided, you can expect to get your ass sued like nobody's business! Trust me on this! Tint is great, but be careful about it. I'm not hatin' so no flames, just lookin out for y'all.

The whole point is, if someone is killed because you can't see them and you hit them, it's all over. A day like today in Denver was very rainy and overcast. On a two lane road with mist spraying, it's very hard to see, I could not imagine looking through a tinted front windshield with rain spray and all that. Y'all are hella brave. Be careful out there
Old 06-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr

You know I was just going to post this question but I guess u asked it already. What I've been told was that they sell this sleeve that You can put the stickers in and it kind of sticks to the tinted windshiled by electrostatic force. I have to see what it is and look into it.

But if ne one else knows please tell me.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FidizzyTypeS
just wear sunglasses.........

i think it retarded getting the front windshield tinted...and god forbid u ever rear end someone and its made known that it's tinted. You'll be paying for their kids college tuition.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

i got pulled over for speeding, here in NJ.
got the ticket.
but the cop put this meter on the rear window.
ok.
i was fine, but he wanted slam me.

i'm just say'in....

i can't imagine having tint on the front.

but i would like to!..
Old 06-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

other than cops and cant really see there is no negatives.
Yes, not being able to see isn't that big of a deal.........

:sqnteek:
Old 06-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joseph_99TL
i got pulled over for speeding, here in NJ.
got the ticket.
but the cop put this meter on the rear window.
ok.
i was fine, but he wanted slam me.

i'm just say'in....

i can't imagine having tint on the front.

but i would like to!..
.....your allowed to have anything on the read 3 windows in nj....
Old 06-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I am a tint fan no doubt. My TL-s has 35% windows and 20% rear, none on the front (because I was living in MN at the time and they are hella strict. no less than 50% allowed on any window. My 92 Accord has 20% windows and 5% rear, 5% on the top of the windshield (eyebrow)

Now, onto my point. For the folks with double layered tint on the sides and tint on the front windshield. Pray that you do not get in an accident. If you do, I can guarantee that if it's discovered you had an exceedingly amount of tint that in a judges mind could impair your full vision and an accident could be avoided, you can expect to get your ass sued like nobody's business! Trust me on this! Tint is great, but be careful about it. I'm not hatin' so no flames, just lookin out for y'all.

The whole point is, if someone is killed because you can't see them and you hit them, it's all over. A day like today in Denver was very rainy and overcast. On a two lane road with mist spraying, it's very hard to see, I could not imagine looking through a tinted front windshield with rain spray and all that. Y'all are hella brave. Be careful out there
Funny that you mention that story, previously before by TL i owned an 00 accord ex coupe. i had 30% on the front winshield and double limo on all the rest of the windows. i was hit by a county school bus totaling my car. when the cops and firefighters etc. got there they said and i quote ''thank god for the tint being their, otherwise the glass would have cut your face up pretty badly.'' so oddly enough the accord was totaled, i sued the county and ended up with an 01 TL for free