Front end clunking. Figured out what it was.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Just wanted to know whats that cushion lookin thing is. The one thats covered in lithium grease.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THe item that raps around your sway bar is your sway bar bushing...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

but its not around the sway bar. it looks like its holding up the end of the subframe i think.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem on my 99 TL. The noise is coming from the front right. My mechanic replaced the axle, all engine mounts, new brakes and rotors. That didn't help.

I am going to have the sway bar links replace and see what happen.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Suzuka Master

what kinda noise is it? if it sounds like a creaky door opening and it only happens at slow sleeps going over speed bumps, slowing down or taking off then you have the same problem i do. its the cushion lookin thing for your sub frame/cross beam.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

mine only makes noise like something is loosing (like a clicking noise) and only hear it when taking off and only hear it coming from the front right.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

yea, check your sways then. I dont think its my part.
also check your ball joints and end links. then if its still there try shocks. but shocks you could probably tell. although i would say motor mounts but you say those were already replaced.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Tom

I had the same problem on my 99 TL. The noise is coming from the front right. My mechanic replaced the axle, all engine mounts, new brakes and rotors. That didn't help.

I am going to have the sway bar links replace and see what happen.
sqa4life,
yeah, let us know if it's the sway bar links.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Just wanted to know whats that cushion lookin thing is. The one thats covered in lithium grease.
Read post 120
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sway bar end links were fine but I changed them anyway and the bushings. Same clunking! I was under the car today to do the new exhaust and it is the tierod endlink on my passenger side that is in fact lose. I was able to clunck it around and it spins easily. I am going to do all ball joints and tierods next week. Thanks for the help Fsttyms1! Jim
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you guys mention "clunking" would you associate a "rattling" sound as similiar? When I think of clunking I think of a dull hollow sound. I associate rattling with a crisp, sharp sound. I have had a crisp sharp rattling sound in my front driverside for years now. I need to replace my upper ball joints as there isn't really any grease left in the driverside front, would that be the problem? If so I'm replacing the entire upper arm, which I believe come with upper ball joints already in them correct? Just remove the old and replace with new, no special tools required?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Advanced

i have the same issue

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
well i dont have any problems with my power steering right now. and my car is only 88k. plus i targeted it to only the FR thats creaking not clunking like yours. but ill keep this in mind.

i dont think mine is shocks cause it doesnt really creak then i jack the car up or go over bumps in the road. just at slow speed is when you hear it most, when the body of the car is moving. when accel, breaking and crawling over speed bumps. i can even hear it when pulling in to the garage, its quite loud.
i have the same issue with my car and ive sen a couple other tls drive by that make the creaking sound when accelerating from a dead stop or even just trying to cruise, very embarrasing sound,sounds like the car is gonna fall apart when you move i listened under the car while my friend accelerated for me and it seems like the sound is coming from the catalytic converter..if you find out what it really is then please let me know as its very irritating
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sbuswell
when you guys mention "clunking" would you associate a "rattling" sound as similiar? When I think of clunking I think of a dull hollow sound. I associate rattling with a crisp, sharp sound. I have had a crisp sharp rattling sound in my front driverside for years now. I need to replace my upper ball joints as there isn't really any grease left in the driverside front, would that be the problem? If so I'm replacing the entire upper arm, which I believe come with upper ball joints already in them correct? Just remove the old and replace with new, no special tools required?
if you buy the complete assembly (which i would) yes, remove the shock unbolt and release the ball joint and replace. Nothing special. As for the rattling sound??? havent heard a ball joint do that but you never know. sounds like that can be very hard to trace down
Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iwantacleantl
i have the same issue with my car and ive sen a couple other tls drive by that make the creaking sound when accelerating from a dead stop or even just trying to cruise, very embarrasing sound,sounds like the car is gonna fall apart when you move i listened under the car while my friend accelerated for me and it seems like the sound is coming from the catalytic converter..if you find out what it really is then please let me know as its very irritating
First thing to do is check to see if the heat shields are loose. If you say the sound is coming from the cat area. Tap on the cat and see if it rattles.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Had loose heat shields on another vehicle- made a rattling sound, not creak.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
if you buy the complete assembly (which i would) yes, remove the shock unbolt and release the ball joint and replace. Nothing special. As for the rattling sound??? havent heard a ball joint do that but you never know. sounds like that can be very hard to trace down
OK so the upper arm comes complete with the ball joint already in it? Would sway bar end links be the culprit for a rattling sound? It's been driving me nuts for the longest time. I'm thinking of replacing both upper arms, both front top hats and possibly wheel bearings to cover my bases. It's very aggrivating. Another question if I were to buy new hub assemblies do they normally come with the wheel bearings already pressed in for a quicker/easier install?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
does this sound like a tapping? i get this constant tapping sound coming from the front end but only when im doing 43-47mph
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I need 2 more gears

the sound I get is only when going over bumps and it doesn't matter if I'm turning or no the sound is there. Not a tapping sound, it's a rattling/chattering sound. It sounds like metal on metal.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
ok thanks. i get that sound even when i turn my engine off while cruising. i cant figure out what is going on
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sbuswell
the sound I get is only when going over bumps and it doesn't matter if I'm turning or no the sound is there. Not a tapping sound, it's a rattling/chattering sound. It sounds like metal on metal.
none of that should make a metal tapping sound. Have you jacked up the car and yanked on the knuckle to see if there was play in the upper and lower ball joint? How are the endlinks? tight or loose. A wheel bearing wouldnt make that noise, it would howl while moving if shot.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I need 2 more gears

Lower ball joint's are solid. End links feel solid and I tugged on them while the car was not jacked up but on the ground like normal. Upper ball joints need to be replaced for sure so I figured I'd replace the whole arm and the top hats too and hope that solves that. The upper ball joints have a leak and when you press on the boot you can hear air coming out.

It's not a tapping sound, it's a rattling/chattering sound.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
8th Gear

Alright fellas...I found my "clunking" sound after reading countless forums on the issue and replacing both the sway bar links and sway bar bushings.

Recently, I replaced my timing belt and water pump and to get at them I had to remove the side engine mount. At the same time, I had to replace the side engine mount as the rubber insert was almost destroyed.

The "clunk" sound would happen whenever I would turn off the engine, accelerate, brake and/or turn or even go over bumps and was getting worse as time progressed.

I isolated the "clunk" and it was coming from the NEW engine mount! If you disassemble the side mount, look at the single bolt that runs through the mount itself. You will see the bolts outside diameter is substantially smaller than the internal diameter of the mount.

If this bolt is not torqued down to it correct torque specification to clamp down the engine bracket to the mount, the bolt will "RATTLE" or "CLUNK" on the inside of the mount.

I had bought some 1/2" O.D. nylon tubing for another project around the house which came in handy here. I cut a 4" length of tube and inserted this inside of the mount acting as a SPACER between the bolt and the mount. After assembling everything back, the "CLUNKING" was gone!

My 1999 TL is purring like a kitten! Thanks fellas and keep posting.