Foglight trouble, could it be my mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foglight trouble, could it be my mod?

Well both my fogs have been burned out for a couple months. I use those cheap Max bulbs and they do blow every 6 months or so. Well today I finally picked up another set of bulbs. The old ones do not look blown to me. In addition to that, my left fog harness(the white plastic piece) is half burned away. Well I cleaned it up and installed the new bulbs anyway. They work fine?????

Could this be happening because of my re wire mod? The bulbs are 80W.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Wow, what exactly did you rewire? Sorry if it's obvious, but I'm new here...the only fog light mod I know if is hooking the switch up so it will activate with the parking lights.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:50 PM

Your OEM bulbs are 55w. If you run your fogs to long it will end up burning out the harness and wires because your pulling 80w out of something that should be pulling 55w.....
Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think stock are 51Ws but 55W is close enough hopefully not to do any damage. A lot of other people have said that putting in 80Ws have caused harness melting and some haven't.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Banned

Ur wiring is burnt! I had that happen to my in my previous accord. Your going to find out that the bulbs now are going to keep blowing out on u even quicker. I was at a point where I was changing bulbs by the week. U should go ne more than 55W with that harness.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

did you by chance let your car sit alot w/ the foglamps on just cooking away at the harness?

If anybodys interested in making their bulbs last longer, check this out. after dealing w/ 3 pr of burnt out bulbs in 4 months i was pissed. I noticed though that my pass side bulb was burning out much faster than the drivers side. (oh ya i have them on for 2 hours everyday) I started to instect the housing and everything seemed fine except the metal heat shield around the bulb was slightly "shrunk down" smaller around the bulb on the pass side. This lead me to believe that this was aiding in the premature burnout of my bulbs. and since it was time to do my plexi glass conversion, I removed the shield on one side and left it in on the other. I had to make sure by removing the shield i wasnt going to be blinding oncoming traffic.
So i parked it in the street and checked, It was not anymore anoying then the side with the shield.
That was 3 months ago and i havnt replaced a bulb since.
Don't take my word for if you dont want, but if your replacing you broken lens and want to remove one and see, go for it.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I will buy a new harness and splice it. Maybee I will try the LED ones Hhorron posted for sale.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by yield2S
I started to instect the housing and everything seemed fine except the metal heat shield around the bulb was slightly "shrunk down" smaller around the bulb on the pass side. This lead me to believe that this was aiding in the premature burnout of my bulbs. and since it was time to do my plexi glass conversion, I removed the shield on one side and left it in on the other. I had to make sure by removing the shield i wasnt going to be blinding oncoming traffic.
I suggest people not do this, I looked into it myself, this heat shiled is there for a reason. If removed, over time the shiny metal plating in ur fogs will start to peel and chip away due to excess heat and since you have the plexi conversion, it will cause browing. This stuff is not a "maybe it will happen or if it will happen" IT WILL HAPPEN.. just a matter of time.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:00 AM
Banned

Re: Foglight trouble, could it be my mod?

Originally posted by JPTLS03

Could this be happening because of my re wire mod? The bulbs are 80W.
The last statement answered your own question--80W bulbs are way too hot for the stock wiring system and will cause it to melt/burn like you've discovered if you use the fogs a lot. The stock bulbs are 51W. 55W are fine but anything over that could damage the wires. The re-wire mod as described in the FAQ will not cause this by itself.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know the wattage of a 97 CL or Accord headlight bulb? I wonder if I could use those sockets. I had these same bulbs I use in my fogs in my 97 CL for a year and a half no problems.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

This stuff is not a "maybe it will happen or if it will happen" IT WILL HAPPEN.. just a matter of time.

"JUST MY 2CENTS"

I love it. Is this stated as a "matter-of-fact" or maybe your 2 cent as you admit?
I use my fogs 2 hours min everyday. It's been months since i remove the light shields, and have monitored the progress often. so far so good.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by yield2S
I love it. Is this stated as a "matter-of-fact" or maybe your 2 cent as you admit?
I use my fogs 2 hours min everyday. It's been months since i remove the light shields, and have monitored the progress often. so far so good.
Actually Im just telling you from seeing other peoples fog housings. U dont have to take my word for it if u dont want to, thats cool. I just post info that I might know to help people.

Also, did u do the plexi/lexan conversion for ur fogs? If not, ur metal filings in the housing will start to chip away , but ur glass won't brown spot. There are many people who have experienced this already over at the WORLD ACURA forum (switch words).

Acura isnt stupid, they wouldnt put a heat shied in there for no reason. People who removed it were under the impression that it was a scatter shield. That is why they did it.

Good Luck.