fog light bulb change help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light bulb change help!!

hey guys i need your help:

i havent tried yet but i just took a quick look at it today..
how do i change the bulbs in the fogs?? (2002 tls)
i want to put some super whites on this weekend.

fiddlyD
:yack:
Old 03-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Instructor

refer to you owner's manual it gives you step by step
Old 03-27-2002, 07:34 PM
Racer

Dude, I did it the hard way. Someone just posted a link to a site a couple days ago that had pics. Does anyone remember where that post is since search is not working?

Basicly the you just pop the lens off from inside the whole on the bottom grill.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

It may be hard to describe, but I'll give it a shot.

--It's best to first jack up the front of your car so you can get a good look under your front bumper. If you have jack-stands, jack up each side and put you car on the stands.

-- Look at the underside of you car directly underneath the foglight. You should see a little hole just about exactly the size of a socket wrench head. If you look up into the hole (you may need a flashlight) you will see the head of a bolt on the bottom side of the foglight.

--Remove this bolt using a 10 mm socket and a socket wrench extension so you can reach the bolt. You can use your opposite hand to help guide the socket onto the bolt by reaching through the grill under the bumper. Turn the bolt counter-clockwise to remove the bolt. It's best to try to keep the bolt in the socket after you've removed it and gently lower it out of the hole under the bumper.

--Once you've done that, insert a flat head screwdriver (the flathead end of course ) to one side of the glass portion of the foglight. Gently lever the foglight out of the bumper. It should pop out pretty easily. I don't recall if it matter which side you lever out. If it seems difficult from one side, try the other.

--Once you've popped out the foglight, it should be pretty straight forward. Remove the wiring harness from the back of the foglight bulb (you have to pinch some kind of retaining clip and pull it off) and twist the bulb to remove it from the foglight assembly (it should be obvious which one to twist it when you're looking at it -- I can't remember which way it goes).

--Insert your new bulb being very careful not to touch glass portion of the bulb. Now reassemble everything, pop the foglight back into place, reinsert the bolt, and you're good to go.

--Don't forget to remove the jackstands before trying to drive off.

I know this may sound difficult, but it really isn't. It shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes per foglight.

I remember reading another way to do this somewhere on the board but this method seemed easier to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually it's pretty simple. Like bluedragon said, the owner's manual should be good enough.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Instructor

no need to jack the car up unless you weigh like 500 pounds and cant fit under the car. one can swap bulbs out easily without jacking the car up. Too much work.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:53 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did the fogs in my 2002 Cl this week, not sure if it's 100% the same as the TL. All I had to do was reach my hand up in there and turn the socket to take out the harness/light. The whole process took 3 min, no need to remove anything. It was pretty tight fit though but I mnaged to get my hand up there
Old 03-28-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro

Rather than jacking the car up, use a mirror laying on the ground facing up to see the hole in the bumper. You will need a long extension for your socket to reach the little nut. Also, you need to pry the light on the side that is closer to the center of the car (depending on if your on the left or the right side of the bumper) Use a flathead screwdriver and be careful not to damage the paint on the bumper. Use a rag between the bumper and the shaft of the screw driver. shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to take the lights out.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Advanced

thanks for the info guys I'll try it this weekend.

fiddlyD
Old 03-28-2002, 06:30 PM
DHB
Instructor

We REALLY need the search feature !!!

Of all of the features needed from this site, the search feature is the most important to me. Without it the value of this site is greatly diminished.

Not sure if the 02 TLS fog bulb access is any different than that used on the 03 but I changed my 03's bulbs out 2 weeks ago. My procedure was a bit different than the posts above. Under the front bumper there was a plastic cover on each side directly underneath and aft of the fog lights. If you open these covers then you can easily reach the back of the fogs, disconnect their power connector, and rotate and remove the bulb from it's socket. To open the covers, I had to remove one 10mm bolt near the front of the wheel well and release 3 or 4 plastic pop-in connectors around the front of these covers. At that point I was able to move the covers far enough out of the way to access the bulbs and that's all there was to it. Simply reverse the procedure for installation.

BTW - I first learned of this method by using the search feature on this site.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CL2TLS
no need to jack the car up unless you weigh like 500 pounds and cant fit under the car. one can swap bulbs out easily without jacking the car up. Too much work.
With the bodykit, I can't easily fit my head under the front bumper to see what I'm doing and I didn't have a mirror. I have a hydraulic jack so jacking it up is quite easy. Once you've done it once, I don't think you really even need to look under the car -- you can easily feel your way around.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Instructor

I installed mine before the bodykit, but it was very simple. 10mm socket with extension, 2 bolts, about 15-20 mins max.