First POST...new to the TL forum...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First POST...new to the TL forum...help!

Hopefully you guys aren't sick of the tranny question.

My son is looking at a 1999 TL (w/144K) would like to buy it this Saturday for $6,000. I have heard wonderful things about this car so I helped him pick it out...now we are traveling around 2 hours from the house to pick it up.

Anything specific to look for...I mean you guys have experience with these and KNOW what the weak spots would be in buying a used TL. This will be our first TL and want to learn what we can over the next couple days.

Next is the tranny issue...seems to be a weak spot on these cars ...either you get a good one or you don't at least that is what it appears. How can I tell if it is 'good' or will need work. I ran the vin (19UUA5649XA043652) at the hondasettlement site and it says the vin is covered This vehicle is covered under the Settlement. To find out more about the Settlement, please read the Notice of Proposed Settlement of Class Action. But, some of the specifics of the settlement seem to rule us out... When I read the settlement it states
Must have been purchased after Nov 98
Must have less than 109K miles august 21 2006

So while the settlement says yes the CARFAX precludes me because of mileage...in the carfax nothing is specified about the transmission...so not sure if that means it is OK or I am taking a gamble...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Well, it is hard to say. Of course drive it and keep it in the auto mode. Turn off the music and listen to the trans when it shifts. Obviously listen for harsh sounds. After awhile, put it in sport mode and test the shift points.

Some folks here have had their trannys replaced and some have had good luck. I am one of the lucky ones (knock on wood). I am on my original tranny with 112K miles.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As for the car take that vin and go to acuras website. Register under owners link with it and it will tell you some history about the car like any recalls outstanding.

As for the trans the only way to know if its good is by how it drives. Does it shift smoothly? any slipping between shifts? any harshness putting it in gear? 99s are the more reliable of the group but not exempt from the problem.

Most will say go for it. The car otherwise is a great car and he will love it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
also check to make sure it has had all the maintenance performed. With 144K it should at least be on it's second timing belt/water pump. Make sure they can provide maintenance receipts. If not, I'd be weary.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Thanks great forum!

I am going to log into Acura's site with the vin I hope it is Acura.com (not finding it right now but I will dig around the site for awhile...

Along with the visuals and regular routine body checks, oil, look for leaks, check alignment etc... we are going to do a compression check on the motor...before we buy..what should the stock compression be for the 3.2?

Also, We had planned on changing the timing belt, oil, pads & rotors, air filter, spark plugs wipers etc...but the water pump wouldn't have crossed my mind so thanks!!!

We will see how this goes down but this looks like a pretty clean car esp for one with 144K!

I'll be back tonight and tomorrow...Looks like we are going to visit this TL Saturday for the real 'test'... Provided everything is okay I'll post some pics..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
School or Mods???

welcome...
check the history in detail... and join best tl community!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrenalin540
I am going to log into Acura's site with the vin I hope it is Acura.com (not finding it right now but I will dig around the site for awhile...

Along with the visuals and regular routine body checks, oil, look for leaks, check alignment etc... we are going to do a compression check on the motor...before we buy..what should the stock compression be for the 3.2?

Also, We had planned on changing the timing belt, oil, pads & rotors, air filter, spark plugs wipers etc...but the water pump wouldn't have crossed my mind so thanks!!!

We will see how this goes down but this looks like a pretty clean car esp for one with 144K!

I'll be back tonight and tomorrow...Looks like we are going to visit this TL Saturday for the real 'test'... Provided everything is okay I'll post some pics..
This is the site to register your VIN at:https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Thanks again

Ya I found the site, and registered (Thanks). Looks like there was no history for this vehicle, not sure if that is good or bad. But,it shows one of the safety recalls was done (how can that be...no history yet one safety recall done?) but the Tranny and Ignition Lock are still 'open' so in and of itself that is kind of reassuring to know that the transmission will still be 'covered'. Now the guy told my son that there are some 'scuff marks' on the door...up to yesterday it was perfect. So we will go take a look. But I have the stuff to do some touch up and paint work in my garage. I know white is a pain to match but we may have to give it a shot!

Great forum!

We are going down with our eyes wide open and a game plan in place. It is a good couple hour drive from here so not like it is right around the corner. Guy still wants $6100 what do you guys think about the price? 99 w 144K?

If we get it...any suggested first mods? Tint? or K&N filter?

You guys use premium fuel? I heard that 89 is ok and 87 works ok too...not sure that is why I am askin.

Although it is for my kid I am excited for him...these look pretty cool!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

With a 99 you are far less likely to have trans problems, I'd get the ignition lock recall done, it's free at the dealer. At that mileage you should also make sure the water pump and timing belt have been replaced. It's a semi-expensive job, you could DIY, but it's not the easiest, and if it hasn't been done you could use that to haggle on the price perhaps. For the price I'd just average the prices of KBB, NADA, and Edmunds. Use that as your median price based on condition of the car.

Mods??? I wish my parents were like you I'd get some better brakes and suspension if this is your kids first car and you want him to be safer. Maybe an intake for throttle response and about 6-8hp.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
T-Swzy

well the guys covered pretty much everything. make sure to be extra anal about everything. every fault spotted is a few dollars off. put that tranny through hell in the 20 mins you're gonna be test driving it. or if the guy doesnt seem cool, have him put it through hell, if it fails you avoided the lemon and it was his foot that hit the gas. other than that it's a real nice car, i got a 99 myself and i wouldnt trade it for anything else. maybe a ferrari f430, maybe
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum your son's gonna love it. I have a 99 as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Welcome! I run nothing below 91 octane in mine. Tint is a good start on mods, then I would follow up with suspension and an intake. But actually, the first thing I would do to it, is trade out the tail lights for some 02-03 ones. They are clear on the top, whereas yours are orange .
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 PM
B A N N E D

the car is almost a decade old now, and im guessing you are on the east coast.

-its about time any amount of rust is going to start acting up, check the under body, suspension, and axles.

-lift hood, have someone turn the car on, then you need to check the vibration of the motor mounts to see if they are blown.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by 02type-s
I run nothing below 91 octane in mine

We only have 93 here and that's what I use. Do a search and you'll see it's been discussed many times. What you save at the pump, you lose in power and mileage. Stick to what it says to use in the owner's manual. The Honda engineers know what's best.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve

We only have 93 here and that's what I use. Do a search and you'll see it's been discussed many times. What you save at the pump, you lose in power and mileage. Stick to what it says to use in the owner's manual. The Honda engineers know what's best.
thats what i tell everyone.

they are honda engineers for a reason...lol. im not going to defy them.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Intermediate

99tl

You guys are alright...as far as being a cool Dad, I have to credit my son. It is his money and I am just doing what I can to make sure he doesn't get taken. Ya I will make sure the mechanical stuff is done to perfection but this car was his choice...

He test drove a Lexus and an Acura the lexus was a 97 ES300 and the TL was a 2002 type S. I used to have an 87 integra so I know all about the Acura Quality and performance...I kind of leaned him toward the Acura , after all they didn't get to where they are by making JUNK.

Sorry but my present ride is a 99 BMW 540i 6speed Sport. I did like the way the type S pulls though. My son absolutely loves the white color so we found a TL that matches his liking in a decent price range. So what we found is a reliable performer...something decent on gas, yet something that won't get blown away by every car on the street. And he can count on for transportation

Thanks again for the advice we will check it for rust, but it is a Georiga car (we live in Toledo, so when we saw it was a southern car in CARFAX that was a plus),so we are expecting rust to be minimal...

What should the compression be? If the car passes the Drive, the tire kick and walk around then the compression check we are gonna buy it, Change the plugs, oil and filter, air filter before we drive it home.

Do we need to take ramps to get under it or can you reach the drain plug from the wheel? With my BMW you cannot get a jack under the car. Have to use very sloped ramps to get clearance for the jack.

Thanks again everyone...kid will probably join the forum today.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

Actually, I joined today. However, yes as my dad stated, I will be the one purchasing all the upgrades and the car itself. I am very grateful that my dad is helping me with all this extra stuff to get the car in tip-top shape after we buy it (if it passes the test drive and compression check).

When I was looking to purchase a car, i set a limit to myself that I would ONLY spend $6500 on the car and necessary upgrades. This car was just about exactly as planned. What would you guys' purchase for the car for around $500 total? We are going to replace the timing belt, the water pump, spark plugs, oil, filters, and a few minor other things. Thankfully I have a car until the end of this month, so there will be like a week and a half when we can fix it up. All the components listed will be a DIY job, so I will save tremendously on labor. My father and step-brother will actually be working on the car and I will probably be observing some. They will be rewarded for their hassles. Which would be the best manual to get for this car?

Thanks in advance, and as soon as I get back tomorrow from the test drive (possible purchase), I will let you know how the experience went.

Andrew
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Pyred

Man if I were you I'd get a new intake and a stage II turbo. Then get some 255 -30-17' Kuhmos on some BBS wheels, then go with a 20% tint use the ceramic tint because it looks great on a white car...browse the gallery for TW and you will see. plus you may want to drop the car by an inch. That will give the car a LOW athletic look with plenty of HP and a great ride. Hey that will amount to as much as you paid for the car!
GL
Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Man if I were you I'd get a new intake and a stage II turbo. Then get some 255 -30-17' Kuhmos on some BBS wheels, then go with a 20% tint use the ceramic tint because it looks great on a white car...browse the gallery for TW and you will see. plus you may want to drop the car by an inch. That will give the car a LOW athletic look with plenty of HP and a great ride. Hey that will amount to as much as you paid for the car!
GL
Stage 2 turbo. LOL! I'd get 02-03 tailights first (looks way better) and an intake, that way you can at least beat a stock TL.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
GL
Unless you feel up to building your own turbo kit, I would supercharge it or stroke it for big power. And it needs more than a 1 inch drop!! lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor

btw, welcome to az
Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Welcome to Azine
Old 03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
No He Can't

Welcome, Pyred
Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Many thanks to the welcoming comittee. I should pick up a "Helms" car guide? Is that is out there for a 1999 Acura TL?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pyred
Many thanks to the welcoming comittee. I should pick up a "Helms" car guide? Is that is out there for a 1999 Acura TL?
Helms is the way to go. Sounds like you scored yourself a very clean ride and did all the right things to it (seafoam, new plugs, purchased water pump and timing belt, ect.) Good luck and be sure to post some pics in the new member directory!
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...VDP5MP9QR64R54