A few Quick Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question A few Quick Mod Questions

Hi,

I have already searched the site for these answers but never really found them.

Here are a few questions:

1.) I want to install a K&N or Comptech Air filter, or maybe a short ram, which we give the most benefit (horsepower and performance wise)?

2.)From looking at the picutres of the short ram, I do not need to remove the bumber just the current filter unit for it to fit?

3.)I am thinking about getting some new wheels,tires to repalce the stock ones. Can't buy rims now but how would 225/55/16 Z rated fit, look, perfrom on the TLP?

4.)What is the best cleaner to use on the interior for the leather and other non-leather surfaces?

I am leasing my TL for 3 years and do not want to mess to much with it (I think I will get the OEM rear spolier/wing). Any other basic help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
2002 Silver Satin TLP
Old 03-06-2002, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. short ram would give you the most out of the different filter types you asked.

2. yup, all you have to do is remove the stock air box. easy stuff.

3. dunno about tires.

4. i use lexol on my leather surfaces, they're pretty good. had the TL for 5 years now (1st gen) and had no cracks in the leather.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Drifting

I would first recommend the AEM cold air intake. However, if you don't want that, then I would go with the short ram.

I would recommend waiting until you can get rims before replacing the tires. If you don't want to spend a lot on rims/tires, then there are some nice wheel/tire packages available out there for decent prices.

As for leather/vinyl cleaner and conditioner, I use meguiars cleaner/condtioner. It is a one step process. However, I believe the next time I clean my interior I will try the Lexol brand. This is a two step process with a separate cleaner and conditioner.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Advanced

1. Sorry, but can't say for sure as I haven't used any of them. However, an educated guess is that there will be very little performance diff between them. All should give you a (very) small gain resulting from increased air flow (but you'll still be getting warm air). The short ram will be louder at mid & high RPM, as the air will not be routed through the resonator box (kinda like an intake muffler).

2. You will not need to remove your bumper to install a short ram.

3. Why the hell this is not the standard size tire on this car is beyond me ! May not look as good as 17/18/19s, but you will enjoy a big improvement (if you choose rubber wisely)in handling, braking & accel - with only a small penalty in comfort & noise.

A 1" wider rim would be better, but will fit fine on your stock rim. No problems with potholes. No rubbing either with stock or medium-drop springs ! Your speedo will be within 1/2 of 1% of it's stock accuracy.

It will look about the same as stock - just wider.

IMHO, could be the single best mod (performance-wise) for the $.

4. Try that search button again. You're going to find about a hundred different opinions on this.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not get involve about the intakes. People are too ignorent to see that a cheaper product could be better. If you want info about intakes PM me.