FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019 | 04:07 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Taahaa
Hello everyone-

Been a lurker of this forum since two years ago when I first bought my TL.

While I understand that a lot of people have successfully completed this swap however unfortunately I went to three mechanics in my area who downright laughed at my suggestion of doing this swap. They stated that all transmissions are different and 06/07 transmissions would have more solenoids, therefore this swap is not possible...any idea why they would say something like this when it has been done before?

Lastly, since so many people have done this, please tell me if anyone got it done from the DMV area? (I don't have the tools or know how to do it, I could learn but it would take a longer time)

Thank you,
-T
Clearly the folks you've talked with have no idea what they're talking about. Regarding having the work done "from the DMV area", I have no idea what you're asking.
Old 12-30-2019 | 04:32 PM
6th Gear

My apologies, by DMV area I meant D.C., Maryland & Virginia.

Well I talked to two independent shop owners both worked exclusively on transmissions, they both shot down the idea and then I talked to the local AAMCO shop, which also shot my idea down but was kind enough to explain it.
Old 12-30-2019 | 06:11 PM
Latent car nut

My apologies, by DMV area I meant D.C., Maryland & Virginia.

Well I talked to two independent shop owners both worked exclusively on transmissions, they both shot down the idea and then I talked to the local AAMCO shop, which also shot my idea down but was kind enough to explain it.
Okay, AAMCO would be the last place on the planet where I would have a transmission looked at; so check that one off the list right off the bat.

If the two shops which work exclusively on transmissions said the AV6 (aka BAYA) transmission has a different number of shift solenoids, then they don't know diddly about the Honda H5 transmission and it is time to continue your search for a competent shop.
Old 12-30-2019 | 06:29 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Okay, AAMCO would be the last place on the planet where I would have a transmission looked at; so check that one off the list right off the bat.

If the two shops which work exclusively on transmissions said the AV6 (aka BAYA) transmission has a different number of shift solenoids, then they don't know diddly about the Honda H5 transmission and it is time to continue your search for a competent shop.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Just to confirm BAYA doesn't mean anything other than being a Honda Accord V6 right?
Old 12-30-2019 | 07:12 PM
Latent car nut

Correct, the BAYA manufacturing code indicates the transmission for the 2006-2007 Accord V6.
The following users liked this post:
Taahaa (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019 | 07:15 PM
6th Gear

Correct, the BAYA manufacturing code indicates the transmission for the 2006-2007 Accord V6.

Thanks, now only to find a competent shop to do the swap for me :/
Old 12-31-2019 | 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

if you're concerned about a job well done...I'd recommend to find a shop that specializes in Honda / Acura transmissions. They will be most competent because that's all they work on. And as such will most likely charge you a little more, so expect that.

From what I've read here before: a successful strategy is to have the transmission, torque converter and info about switching over the shift switch indicator in hand (not literally, that might be a little difficult) and ask the shop the cost associated for swapping.

Just my below:

Frankly the cost of paying a shop to do the work is about on par with what the car is worth, if you've changed your timing belt, you probably have about 90% of the tools needed to complete this job; the only two special parts being a transmission jack, and transverse engine hoist. Both of these will cost about $200-$250 or depending on your locale, you can rent them.

Old 01-02-2020 | 02:03 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
if you're concerned about a job well done...I'd recommend to find a shop that specializes in Honda / Acura transmissions. They will be most competent because that's all they work on. And as such will most likely charge you a little more, so expect that.

From what I've read here before: a successful strategy is to have the transmission, torque converter and info about switching over the shift switch indicator in hand (not literally, that might be a little difficult) and ask the shop the cost associated for swapping.

Just my below:

Frankly the cost of paying a shop to do the work is about on par with what the car is worth, if you've changed your timing belt, you probably have about 90% of the tools needed to complete this job; the only two special parts being a transmission jack, and transverse engine hoist. Both of these will cost about $200-$250 or depending on your locale, you can rent them.

Hello-

Thank you for getting back to me. Honestly appreciate all the help I can get at the moment.

While I'm a fairly handyman-ish, I have a fear of screwing something up so in the end its gonna cost me more. That's the only fear I have in starting this work, the tools would be a one time investment that would eventually pay off, not worried about that.

So far my options are:
1. A mechanic shop in Baltimore, Maryland has quoted me a price of $1300-$1400 to fix the car. I'm hesitant, because what if the transmission is swapped, but the check engine light stays on ? Also the area is a bit shady as well. One of my friends outright told me that there is a possibility that the shop would strip away some of the car parts....
2. Do nothing for the time being and look for another car.
3. Swap the transmission myself (has lots of anxiety associated with this and this might take me about 6 months lol)

Yikes, I really loved my TL when I first got it (I still do, just don't like these transmission crappy issues.)

Old 01-02-2020 | 02:10 PM
Latent car nut

Unsaid in this entire discussion is the idea of having your current transmission remanufactured. I have heard from multiple sources (some reasonably reliable, others with questionable veracity) there are any number of remanufacturing kits available for the H5 series of transmissions which, when used, will bring your transmission up to the latest manufacturing build (which would make it roughly as reliable as a BAYA transmission). Can anybody else confirm this?
Old 01-02-2020 | 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Unsaid in this entire discussion is the idea of having your current transmission remanufactured. I have heard from multiple sources (some reasonably reliable, others with questionable veracity) there are any number of remanufacturing kits available for the H5 series of transmissions which, when used, will bring your transmission up to the latest manufacturing build (which would make it roughly as reliable as a BAYA transmission). Can anybody else confirm this?
Probably not covered here because this thread (initially) was motivated by the need for a reliable fix (before these kits existed) and moved to the need for a cost effective solution which when you factor in the time / money spent to rebuild would disqualify that as a viable alternative to swapping.

There are probably a few people out there, I'm not sure enough to give a high degree of confidence in any statistical data.
Old 01-02-2020 | 03:04 PM
6th Gear

Hey Whitetiger5!

Have another noob question coming your way.

I just wanted to confirm a few things with you. You mentioned a BAYA transmission, what's the different between a BAYA transmission and a JDM ?

https://www.md-jdmmotors.com/product...4-j30a5-coupe/

This is the shop that quoted me $1300-1400 to fix the transmission...is this is right transmission?

Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2020 | 04:17 PM
Latent car nut

Hey Whitetiger5!

Have another noob question coming your way.

I just wanted to confirm a few things with you. You mentioned a BAYA transmission, what's the different between a BAYA transmission and a JDM ?

https://www.md-jdmmotors.com/product...4-j30a5-coupe/

This is the shop that quoted me $1300-1400 to fix the transmission...is this is right transmission?

Thanks again!
There were lots of JDM transmissions, none of them were BAYA (which by definition is a USDM transmission). Some folks suggest the MAYA is the same engineering build as the BAYA but made in Japan; I've tried a few times to confirm that, so far I've been unsuccessful.
Old 01-02-2020 | 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

There were lots of JDM transmissions, none of them were BAYA (which by definition is a USDM transmission). Some folks suggest the MAYA is the same engineering build as the BAYA but made in Japan; I've tried a few times to confirm that, so far I've been unsuccessful.

Taahaa, you definitely want to stick with a BAYA coded transmission from the US. Obviously it should be in good condition (decently kept fluids, no burning smell) some here have swapped transmissions that were involved in front end accidents and have a broken upper mounting hole (the accord V6 uses it, our car does not) and been ok; I preferred a little more peace of mind so I went with a low mileage, side impacted donor (that cost a little more).

I know this thread is really long, and difficult to read at times with quoted posts...but try to get everything you can from it.

Have you came across this site? explains the process well; to build up a little confidence

Havener Garage: The Definitive 2nd Gen Acura TL AV6 Transmission Swap Guide

and don't forget: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a great place to keep checking back for a donar transmission.

Old 01-07-2020 | 08:47 AM
Safety Car

@horseshoez Dang, good to know. I called a bunch of places for my 3G TL (AAMCO, Certified Transmissions, Cottman, couple of craigslist randos) and when I brought up the 06-07 Accord AV6/BAYA trans...all of them were very quick to tell me that I should not listen to "internet guys" and that Hondas and Acuras are "different" and they all told me choices were either to do a rebuild or get a used one...none of them offered remanufacturing.

I might try some honda/acura shops. It sucks because with transmission it seems like not all mechanics/shops can do them so the choices are more limited.

I'm not sure if I should attempt a DIY rebuild myself, no garage space and I'll probably need to get all the tools (trans jack, engine hoist, all the tools). I was looking at my 04-08 TL service manual PDF and the section on transmission replacement had a LOT of steps and lot of things to do....and it's probably above my ability to competently do an trans replacement....

Old 01-07-2020 | 09:01 AM
Latent car nut

@nist7, I've thought about buying a failed H5 and opening it up for an exploratory rebuild. I have heard anecdotally there are a number of remanufacture kits, of varying quality, which can be purchased for reasonable money.

Worst case, if you want go buy a well regarded transmission, look no further than the Jasper web site: https://www.jasperengines.com/stock-...-transmissions

As I wrote few posts up in this thread, I have also anecdotally heard pretty much all of the better remanufacture kits or remanufactured transmissions (such as the Jasper unit) upgrade the internals to be a functional equivalent to the BAYA transmission.
nist7 (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020 | 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

You have a 3G TL? This is a forum for the 2G TL.

I’m not sure the AV6 will work, you might want to consult the folks in the correct forum for that.
Old 01-07-2020 | 10:10 AM
Latent car nut

You have a 3G TL? This is a forum for the 2G TL.

I’m not sure the AV6 will work, you might want to consult the folks in the correct forum for that.
The later 2G cars with the H5 transmission and the 2004-2006 3G cars use basically the same transmission and the AV6 will bolt directly in to all of them.
nist7 (01-07-2020)
Old 01-08-2020 | 01:20 PM
Pro

Just my below:

Yep, I have a comprehensive list of tools required on my blog page: https://havenergarage.blogspot.com/2...ra-tl-av6.html

I have a link to the engine hanger I purchased. Search for "I would recommend having".
Old 02-13-2020 | 08:13 PM
6th Gear

Confused

Where are the pictures? Do I need to pull up those diagrams from the manufacturer on a separate tab?

Edit: I found the pictures in a pdf at https://havenergarage.blogspot.com/2...ra-tl-av6.html I think somebody else also posted these above.

Last edited by Anthony Johnson; 02-13-2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Answered my own question.
Old 02-16-2020 | 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Hello, Im so confused. I've read through the last 5 pages but some people said I have to change the Torque Converter on the BAYA transmission and buy the H021 kit for my 2005 Acura TL. They said the transmission from the 2G TL is the same as the 2004-2006 TL. What do you guys think about this Reman BAYA transmission I found on eBay. The shop has great reviews on Google and Yelp. Thank you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262923270939

Old 02-17-2020 | 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

It is very confusing. Here's some more info:

The Flexplate for the 2006-2007 Accord V6 automatic transmission is exactly the same part number as the Acura TL (1999-2006). Check out the part number and vehicle fitment section for each part below:

Acura: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D
Honda: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D

Some part stores are showing that the part number for the torque converter is different and it probably is, but the mounting dimensions should be confirmed to be 11.25 in apart or it won't fit to your flexplate.

2G Acura TL flexplate-measured from center of opposing hole.

in addition: the teeth per ring gear is exactly what it says; the number of teeth on the ring gear which interfaces with the starter when you start the engine; if this number doesn't match what was on the car originally, then grinding from mismatch will occur at this part. This is why you use the H021: it's the part number meant for the TL which mounts correctly to the TL's flexplate, has the correct number of teeth on the ring gear to match the starters gear pitch AND has matching hub type, pilot size and spline teeth. See links below:

Acura TL TC (H021) specs : https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...dyy%2F9lEKBGDp

Honda Accord TC (H026) specs : DO NOT USE: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...dyy%2F9lEKBGDp
Eternal 28 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020 | 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you so much Whitetiger. I will order this H021 kit on rock auto and I just found a 2007 Accord V6 transmission with 103,000 miles and I'm going to get it for $750. The new reman BAYA is almost $2000 on eBAY with shipping.
Old 02-18-2020 | 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eternal 28
Thank you so much Whitetiger. I will order this H021 kit on rock auto and I just found a 2007 Accord V6 transmission with 103,000 miles and I'm going to get it for $750. The new reman BAYA is almost $2000 on eBAY with shipping.
WOW! Good find! Keep us posted on your progress. Don't be shy to start a new thread with your trans swap experience.
Old 02-24-2020 | 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

Does anyone have a picture about the hole or have any insight in using a transmission from a Honda Odyssey? There is very limited Accord Transmissions in my area however I was able to find a 2007 Odyssey Transmission with 48k miles for $200. This would be getting swapped into a TL.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2020 | 06:33 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Jake DeGazio
Does anyone have a picture about the hole or have any insight in using a transmission from a Honda Odyssey? There is very limited Accord Transmissions in my area however I was able to find a 2007 Odyssey Transmission with 48k miles for $200. This would be getting swapped into a TL.

Thanks
If you have a 2004-2006 TL, then I do not believe the engine to the transmission bolt patterns line up. Look for a 2006 or 2007 Honda Accord V6 automatic transmission; it will have a manufacturing code of BAYA. If you have a 2007-2008 TL, then the Oddy trans *might* fit, but no promises.
Old 02-28-2020 | 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

So we swapped the 07 Accord V6 transmission over to my 2005 TL and I put a new torque converter but the transmission is still slipping? Could there be anything else going on ? I highly doubt that both transmission would have the same problem. Someone said it can be a bad PCM or TCM. This is so frustrating. We used the range sensor from the TL and oil warmer. But still no luck.
Old 03-09-2020 | 07:15 AM
2nd Gear

Tiptronic not working after swap

I just did the swap this weekend but the tiptronic doesn’t work anymore. Does anyone have an idea where to start?
Old 03-29-2020 | 06:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jhassel
I just did the swap this weekend but the tiptronic doesn’t work anymore. Does anyone have an idea where to start?
which transmission shift solenoid is on it. Are the numbers blanked out when you try and flip it into tip mode
Old 03-29-2020 | 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bakaryu18
which transmission shift solenoid is on it. Are the numbers blanked out when you try and flip it into tip mode
The one that came with the BAYA, and yes the numbers are blanked out. The only gear that lights up on the dash is P.
Old 03-29-2020 | 06:57 PM
Advanced

try switching shift solenoids. it's by the transmission filter housing behind the battery. I had a shitty shift solenoid and my numbers disappeared. got a new one it was all good. or use the one that came on your old transmission if you have it. Hope this helps!
Old 03-30-2020 | 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jhassel
The one that came with the BAYA, and yes the numbers are blanked out. The only gear that lights up on the dash is P.

I'm guessing it's the Transmission range switch which may need to be adjusted after you swapped it from one transmission to the next.
Old 05-28-2020 | 07:02 PM
5th Gear

I realize this may be a long shot, but i need some help troubleshooting an AV6 swap transmission issue. Did the swap on my 04 TL with an 07 AV6 this past weekend. Everything fit perfectly. The TL transmission even had the filter cartridge instead of the spin on type. The problem i'm having is that the new transmission grinds horribly in reverse. All other positions on the shifter work fine and are properly indicated on the dash. There's plenty of fluid, i've checked that none of the solenoid screens are blocked and i've done the shifter cable adjustment procedure from the FSM. When you put it into reverse, you can hear the transmission shift but then it starts grinding and is variable depending on the engine RPM. There are no check engine lights but i also haven't really driven it to trip one. Any suggestions to test or thoughts on what could be causing this? TIA
Old 05-31-2020 | 12:33 PM
5th Gear

In case anyone is actually reading this, i took the car out for a drive. Seems to drive great in all the forward gears but reverse is still grinding. I've also noticed when the car has sat a while, it will grind for a second or two when the car is first started and in Park. It's almost like it doesn't have enough fluid and once the pressure builds up, it stops grinding. I've checked and double checked the fluid, with the engine cold and up to temp and it's at the correct level. I've also pulled all of the shift and pressure solenoids and tested per the FSM. All were within spec and operated properly with 12 volts applied. Any thoughts? TIA
Old 05-31-2020 | 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you physically examine or replace anything on the trans before installing it? Sounds like it could be an issue with the reverse gear
Old 05-31-2020 | 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

A video of the sound would be most helpful. Taken when engine is warm and cold.

You’re sure it’s gears grinding?
Old 05-31-2020 | 03:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you physically examine or replace anything on the trans before installing it? Sounds like it could be an issue with the reverse gear
Yes the replacement transmission was very clean with no physical damage that i could see. I did not replace anything on it except transferring the gear selector connectors from the TL trans.
Old 05-31-2020 | 03:34 PM
5th Gear

A video of the sound would be most helpful. Taken when engine is warm and cold.

You’re sure it’s gears grinding?
That's what it sounds like but i'm not 100% sure. The sound is the same warm and cold.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.mov (2.19 MB, 41 views)
Old 06-01-2020 | 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Did you use the torque converter (TC) (if it came with the transmission) or a new TC that matches the BAYA trans? reusing old parts that have contaminated fluid (filled with worn clutch material or seized from contaminated fluid (such as the internals of the old TC) is a bad thing. fluid warmer should be cleaned out if reused the internals are not complex. bad fluid can lead to valve body issues which lead to transmission failure.

Also...If you're certain that you have the proper fluid levels then I would recommend to start digging deeper in the service manual troubleshooting section for the transmission.

There is a section that shows power delivery when in reverse.

My understanding of the material shows that really all that can be done at this point is to check some clutch line pressures; these will more than likely suggest some issues within the valve body that indicate a need for a rebuild.

TL;DR: I would get any diagnostic info for the faulty trans tested/recorded/confirmed and look into getting a refund or replacement on the transmission you just received before any parts warranty expires.
Old 06-01-2020 | 01:45 PM
5th Gear

I did reuse the TC that came with the transmission and it was drained before being reused. As for the power delivery in reverse, most of the involved parts look to be internal and would require a teardown to get to them. Just for grins I pulled all of the external solenoids and valves that are testable (according to the manual) and they all were good. I guess i was hoping that there was an easy fix or something i was missing to get this car on the road again. I'll be calling LQK to come pick it up and give me my money back. Thanks for your insight and response whitetiger.
Old 06-01-2020 | 07:35 PM
6th Gear

I have the base model 2001 TL. Will the av6 work on a non type-S?

Quick Reply: FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'