Is Extended Warranty Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Extended Warranty Refundable?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right!

When I purchased my 2002 TL-S back in 2001, I also bought an Acura extended warranty that gave me warranty protection for up to 7 years and 100,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is refundable if I sell the car long before I even qualify to use the extended warranty?

I love my TL-S, but my wife had a very scary experience with the transmission (sudden and dramatic downshifting that nearly caused a bad accident,) and although the dealer said that the replacement of a transmission temperature sensor solved the problem, my wife is not convinced that the transmission isn't going to fail again -- and truthfully, I'm not convinced either.

Anyway, I'm debating about selling the car, even though it has been perfect other than the transmission issue. Since the trade-in price I'll get for it isn't that great, I'm hoping I might be able to get the extended warranty amount I paid refunded by Acura. (I think I paid $1200 for it, but I would have to go back and check to verify the exact amount.)

Nothing is decided for sure, but I'm leaning toward selling the car if I experience any more transmission problems. I'm really hoping the sensor was the problem and that I won't need a new transmission, but I'm not the luckiest person in the world, so I'm not counting on it!

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. I'm learning a lot on this forum.

Martin (newbie)
Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the remainder of the warranty is refundable at any time, if you got the warranty from Acura Care. For example, I have about 75k miles on my '99... Acura Care said I could cash out the remainder and get $757 back in my pocket.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Racer

wait who do you talk to in order to get a refund on the ext warranty? Since honda already announced the 100,000 miles transmission warranty, i don't think i need the ext warranty anymore
Old 08-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You call Acura Care. You tell them your mileage and they tell you approximately the worth of your remaining warranty. Then you go to where you bought your warranty (typically the dealer's finance department) and they will get you through all the paperwork and get you your money.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:59 AM
The Acura Tranny Killer

Replacement of a transmission temperature sensor solved the problem?? .. dude, they're supposed to replace the entire transmission!

Tracer
Old 08-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally posted by rhizopod
You call Acura Care. You tell them your mileage and they tell you approximately the worth of your remaining warranty. Then you go to where you bought your warranty (typically the dealer's finance department) and they will get you through all the paperwork and get you your money.
Thx rhizopod, looks like i'll have more money for mods
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info, Rhizopod (or should I call you Einstein?) -- this is great news, as I'm still in my original factory warranty, and hopefully will be able to get most or all of my money back. If I end up selling the car, my trade-in won't look quite so bad if I add the extended warranty refund to the amount.

Tracer -- I know they should have replaced the transmission, but Acura refused when the dealer requested it. Needless to say, I am now battling Acura's customer service department. Thus far, I've found the people I've spoken with to be less than sympathetic, and I am really disgusted with the entire situation.

It's a real shame, because I was so happy with the car until recently. Had Acura stepped up to the plate and taken care of the problem immediately, I wouldn't have such a negative feeling toward them right now, and would probably never be considering selling the car.

This is a real pain -- and the worst thing is that I'm not seeing any other cars out there that I like better. I also hate the idea of spending money on a new car so soon after having bought this one. (Ok, it has been 2 years, but I'd planned to keep this car until the 7-year extended warranty ran out.)

Thanks again for your help!

Martin