Exhaust problems - UPGRADED

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust problems - UPGRADED

:banghead:

I had my exhaust upgraded and now it is slower and vibrates. I thought that I needed to get some different mufflers but then I called FlowMaster and they said that I may have to reset my computer, and that Resonator tips could cure the interior noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The system is as follows: 2 1/4" pipe Y into 2 - no resonators - 2 1/4" all the way to the mufflers which are 60 series Delta flows then just a tip after that.

PLEASE HELP - should I leave my computer unplugged over night?????
Old 04-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure that when you have modded something (intake,exhaust,headers, etc.) you always have to reset your battery so it configures that there is more air flow. I dont how it works but many people said to reset the battery. I havent done it yet because my stock HU didnt come with a code. (Kinda sux)
But i just waiting until i get my 2003 6 cd changer.
Hope this helped you.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

i dont believe the computer has to be rest.

did u get a complete cat-back or just axle-back?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
just disconect the battery for 15 min then go drive the car for awhile to let the computer redo it self (beat on it a few times too). adding mufflers shouldnt have made it slower, or run rougher
Old 04-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of exhaust is that? Sounds like something you put on an American car. I think your setup isn't right either. You should have used 2.5" piping all the way with a resonator and different mufflers. I dont' think Delta mufflers or flowmaster belong on a TL. Just my two cents.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is happening to me as well. I have Thermal R&D axlebacks & I had the muffler shop remove the first (the smaller of the two) resonators and replaced it with a straight pipe. Now the exhaust vibrates when I reach 2.25krpm under load. The key to the vibration is that you NEED a resonator after the cat (at least for our cars). Since you and I took the middle resonator off, we now get a vibration at certain RPMs. I'm almost positive that if you weld a resonator somewhere 2 feet after the cat, the vibration will go away. Now...as for the droning noise, that's completely different.

Originally Posted by onebadtls2002

I had my exhaust upgraded and now it is slower and vibrates. I thought that I needed to get some different mufflers but then I called FlowMaster and they said that I may have to reset my computer, and that Resonator tips could cure the interior noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The system is as follows: 2 1/4" pipe Y into 2 - no resonators - 2 1/4" all the way to the mufflers which are 60 series Delta flows then just a tip after that.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Flowmasters on the TL? I had them on my mustang, but would never put them on the TL....way to loud IMHO.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
8th Gear

reply to the exhaust problem

Sorry for the confusion

The setup is as follows:

Original Cat then then a Y-Pipe. After the y-pipe the 2.25 pipes run up to the 60 Series Delta Flow Flowmaster mufflers. At the end of the mufflers - I just have tips stainless 2.25 to 3 inch. Everything looks good but it is just weird. One feller told me that now that I have more flow that my loss in backpressure is causing my problems with power. I told him that a lot of owners (ya'll guys and gals) are running bigger pipes than this and that some mufflers are just a pipe and the flow isn't the issue. I am going to try it tonight to see what is up. The car also has a K&N and I noticed a big difference when I put that on - so maybe JUST MAYBE - the two together is causing mondo issues. I really hope this works.

On the resonator part - I called the shop and they still have my old resonator - the small one right after the CAT - and they are going to put it on tomorrow. The only problem is that the Y-pipe that I had installed is pretty close to the cat - I scooted it back towards the CAT to straighten out the exhaust - so it would flow better (actually all of the bends now are pretty straight - really smooth lookin). When I take it to the shop I will try to get some pics of it in the air. I will be taking it in the morning and I just had it there Friday.

The truly worst part is that the upgrade was supposed to improve performance !!!!!!!!!! Just tickin me off................

Old 04-12-2004, 07:01 PM
8th Gear

Does it have to be 2 feet - how about a couple of inches?

Originally Posted by edgalang
This is happening to me as well. I have Thermal R&D axlebacks & I had the muffler shop remove the first (the smaller of the two) resonators and replaced it with a straight pipe. Now the exhaust vibrates when I reach 2.25krpm under load. The key to the vibration is that you NEED a resonator after the cat (at least for our cars). Since you and I took the middle resonator off, we now get a vibration at certain RPMs. I'm almost positive that if you weld a resonator somewhere 2 feet after the cat, the vibration will go away. Now...as for the droning noise, that's completely different.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:02 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

get 2.25 to the y-pipe (with a resonator after the cat) and 2.5 from the Y to each muffler (magnaflows)

i have a 22" resonator and the sound is perfect, sounds like a small-block V8, and it's not too loud at all. no vibrations too. i didnt really notice any torque loss and HP definitly improved (really noticeable at high speeds).

it's the best setup you can have (at least for the TL-P) !

@cUr@-TL
Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

you should of just kept the stock exhaust and gotten axle-backs. exhaust is pretty much a worthless upgrade for the TL-S. all its good for is looks and sound... performance is negligble.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Does it have to be 2 feet - how about a couple of inches?

Dunno...with fully customized exhausts...its pretty much a gamble since nothing is tuned. I've learned my lesson...from now on I'm buying pre-designed cat-backs (on future cars anyways...this one is already too late).