Engine Temp issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Temp issues

I am hoping someone can help me with some issues I have been having with my car. This may be long, so I apologize in advance. I recently changed out my thermostat in the cooling system because I thought it was the issue. At any given random time, usually in idol, my engine temp shoots up very high, almost close to the "H" mark. Sometimes I have even had to turn it off if I am sitting in traffic to make sure I don't cause serious damage to the car. Once I get moving again, it goes right back down, even turning the heat on full blast won't bring it down. Yesterday was the first time the temp shot up, and it happened as I pulled in my garage from work and was about to go in. Then the fans ran for 20 minutes after I turned the car off to cool it down. Fluid levels are good, no leaks from the radiator or any hoses. Is this a potential sensor issue? I am hoping to resolve this myself without spending an arm and a leg on this. I appreciate any feedback on this!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There are 2 cooling fans. The smaller fan operates if the temp rises above a limit and stays on until the temp falls. The larger fan operates at a lower set point and normally provides all the cooling needed. If the large fan is inoperative, you will experience overheating at idle after awhile, even when the small fan is operating (I know as it happened to me). So I would first make sure the large fan is working - should be on when the temp gauge approaches half-way. If both fans are working, then it's a problem somewhere else.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

Hopefully I an interpreting what you are saying correctly. You are saying the fans should turn on while the car is ON correct? If so, this is the issue, the fans are not kicking on, hence why the temp keeps climbing. They only kick on when the car is off. I can check today if they both go on after I get home, but its hit or miss, sometimes it doesn't spike, sometimes it does. I actually am going to try right now on my lunch. Thanks for the help on this.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Instructor

The main fan should operate when the car is running and the engine is warmed up - it will switch on and off as needed. The secondary fan will also operate when the car is running if the temp climbs to a higher set point. And this secondary fan will keep running when then car is shut off until the temp drops.

On the temp gauge - first fan on when temp is just below half. Second fan on when the temp is just above half.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Clarification - by half on the temp gauge, I mean needle is horizontal. Slightly below horizontal is first fan on, slightly above horizontal is when the second fan would kick in.

I think turning on the AC may also activate the main fan when the compressor kicks on.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If the primary cooling fan located on the driver's side doesn't activate when the motor's operating temp gets hotter than normal, then chances are that the fan's ECT thermosensor is faulty. Another thing to check is the coolant's level.....if low, it can possibly have trapped air within the system which can fake out the sensor.

A pressure check of the cooling system would be a good place to start. Don't continue to operate the car in an overheated condition, otherwise you risk possible head gasket issues.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
10th Gear

Normally the needle sits exactly where you mentioned; slightly below horizontal. Turning on the AC does not activate the main fan like it should. That is the issue I am having with this, because neither fan is kicking on until its hot and I have turned it off. To reply to 3.2Tlc's comment, I have bled the system from cold temp to hot with the cap off to potentially remove any air in the system the way a mechanic told me to. My coolant level is topped off completely as well. I think it might be the ECT thermosensor. Can that be changed by myself? It is completely random as well. It never gets past the normal mark driving, and I drive 80 miles total to work on the highway with no issue, but just sometimes in idle, it goes up, but once my car starts moving, there are no issues. Any additional suggestions will be great. I thought I had it figured out once I changed out the thermostat because I saw no issues with it.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Instructor

When moving, enough air can pass thru the radiator to cool the engine without the fans. I'm baffled that the fans don't run until the ignition is off. So I'll defer any comments/suggestions to the real experts on this board.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for your help Seabright. I appreciate all the feedback. Hopefully I can get this looked at ASAP. If you have any additional ideas or thoughts on what it might be, please share!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Instructor

I don't know if the link still works, but try downloading the manual and reviewing the troubleshooting steps for the fans:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/2g-factory-tl-shop-repair-manual-852101/

Pages 243-276, Chapter 10. Since overheating can kill an engine, it may be way cheaper in the long run to take it to a mechanic if you can't figure out the problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the help on this. This past Saturday I had an issue with it again. I just got back from a trip so Im hoping to get it fixed asap now that I am back. On Saturday I was going 2 miles from my house and noticed the engine temp "shot" up so I pulled over and turned it off. I definitely think its a sensor issue, because I know my car isn't really getting that hot. The one thing I noticed is that I went to check the coolant level, which I topped off a few weeks ago, and my car ate a whole half a bottle of coolant. I have absolutely no leak, so where is the coolant going so fast? Any ideas? I am a bit lost at this point.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Check your oil and make sure there's no coolant getting in there
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the exact same issue. I had to replace the cooling fan motor and the issue still happened. It was a bad water pump. I feel very certain that is the issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Talking Ate a whole half bottle.....

Originally Posted by sb3203
I was going 2 miles from my house and noticed the engine temp "shot" up so I pulled over and turned it off. I definitely think its a sensor issue, because I know my car isn't really getting that hot.

The one thing I noticed is that I went to check the coolant level, which I topped off a few weeks ago, and my car ate a whole half a bottle of coolant.

I have absolutely no leak, so where is the coolant going so fast? Any ideas? I am a bit lost at this point.

Hey Sb3203, FYI: Cars don't eat coolant !!!!!

Have your cooling system pressure checked .....asap. If you claim to have no apparent leak, then your engine's head gasket may be going bad. Check the oil and coolant for cross contamination. Does the exhaust puff white smoke ? Are your fans coming on ?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
10th Gear

I know cars don't literally eat coolant! You know I meant by that. I need to check the oil for contamination. I know that if its leaking into the oil, then the head gasket is most likely going bad. The exhaust is not emitting white smoke. The fans come on randomly, when they don't is when the car temp starts to go to High. The pressure is there as well. I had that looked at just to be sure. I really want to fix all this without breaking the bank. As much as I love this car, it has been nothing but issues for me since day one. I will check the oil later on today. Thanks for the tips.