Engine Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
kmw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine Stalling

I have a 2003 TLS that doesn't qualified for an extended tranny warranty. So far, I haven't had any tranny problem. A few days ago, I went into a very scary suituation while I was driving my TLS on the freeway. What happened was the engine power was suddenly cut off without giving me any warning. The first thing I noticed was my TLS lost the power steering and power brake. As far as I could remember, I only saw the oil, battery and the brake warning lights came up. Fortunately, the whole thing happened while I was merging toward the off ramp but I was still cruising at around 50 mph and needless to say, a bunch of cars behind me and miraculously, none rear ended me!! To make the story short, I ended up gliding toward the shoulder and was able to restart my car without any problem.

Now my TLS has been in the Acura Dealer for 2 days, the dealer called me last night and claimed they could not find any problems with my car. They basically told me if they could not find any problem this morning, I just have to drive my TLS cautiously from now on. Well, I have been putting close to 40K miles on my TLS since I purchased it brand new about 3 years ago. I never had this kind of experience with this car before or any car I previously owned! I don't really want to drive my TLS knowing the engine power will cut off at any time! I have been searching this and other Acura TL newsgroup and I could not find any TLS owner has this type of problem! Should I call the Acura Headquarter? The last thing I want to do is to trade my car but I just might be forced to do it!! Any advice!!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If its only happend Once it may have been a fluke. just keep driving it and try not to worry about it. if it happens again then id say there may be a problem (most likely something electrical or sensor related) its not something thats common. Just drive it .
Old 07-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
somethiong is screwy. sounds like bad coil packs maybe? I'd call Acura headquarters or go to a different dealership and see if they can figure it out. Don't be easy on your car though, that probably has nothing to do with it. Check your coil packs and spark plugs though. Possibly could be ignition switch issue or clogged EGR valves.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
somethiong is screwy. sounds like bad coil packs maybe? I'd call Acura headquarters or go to a different dealership and see if they can figure it out. Don't be easy on your car though, that probably has nothing to do with it. Check your coil packs and spark plugs though. Possibly could be ignition switch issue or clogged EGR valves.
doubt full its a coil pack. the car wouldnt/shouldnt die if o ro even 3 of them died, and if theyy did they wouldnt be running normal now and there would be a code thrown. the clogged egr should be throwing a code and really only be apparent at idle, not on the hwy???
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kmw
What happened was the engine power was suddenly cut off without giving me any warning. The first thing I noticed was my TLS lost the power steering and power brake. As far as I could remember, I only saw the oil, battery and the brake warning lights came up.
In other words, the same symptoms and same lights would be lit if you had turned the ignition key back one step. Were the 2003 models subject to any ignition switch recalls?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePA
In other words, the same symptoms and same lights would be lit if you had turned the ignition key back one step. Were the 2003 models subject to any ignition switch recalls?
If they were, then only some were because my '03 isn't affected by that recall.

kmw --

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura

See if your car is under the ignition recall. I do remember a thread a while back where a member said the car died and wouldn't start. It turned out to be the ignition switch.

Must've been scary for ya when the car cut off power. Glad you saved it without anything bad happening, though.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kmw
I have a 2003 TLS that doesn't qualified for an extended tranny warranty. So far, I haven't had any tranny problem. A few days ago, I went into a very scary suituation while I was driving my TLS on the freeway. What happened was the engine power was suddenly cut off without giving me any warning. The first thing I noticed was my TLS lost the power steering and power brake. As far as I could remember, I only saw the oil, battery and the brake warning lights came up. Fortunately, the whole thing happened while I was merging toward the off ramp but I was still cruising at around 50 mph and needless to say, a bunch of cars behind me and miraculously, none rear ended me!! To make the story short, I ended up gliding toward the shoulder and was able to restart my car without any problem.

Now my TLS has been in the Acura Dealer for 2 days, the dealer called me last night and claimed they could not find any problems with my car. They basically told me if they could not find any problem this morning, I just have to drive my TLS cautiously from now on. Well, I have been putting close to 40K miles on my TLS since I purchased it brand new about 3 years ago. I never had this kind of experience with this car before or any car I previously owned! I don't really want to drive my TLS knowing the engine power will cut off at any time! I have been searching this and other Acura TL newsgroup and I could not find any TLS owner has this type of problem! Should I call the Acura Headquarter? The last thing I want to do is to trade my car but I just might be forced to do it!! Any advice!!
That has happened to me on the highway also in my '99 TL`P around 80k. I wouldn't worry about it too much b/c my '99 has close to 140k and is still running strong..but then again, the 4-speed trannies in the '99s seem to be a lot more bulletproof than the 5-speed trannies. Also, when traveling on the highway next time, set your air temp. to 90..to let off heat from the engine. You might have to stand extremely hot air if you were to do this on a hot day..but it's better than your tranny going kurplunk.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Help me understand the connection between your response and kmw's post?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
check for this in your engine
http://www.99express.com/articles/60/1
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds electrical to me. Ask the dealer to check your ground straps (more than one) and your battery connections.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:26 AM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kirill
check for this in your engine
http://www.99express.com/articles/60/1
shit that's fu%^&*ed up.