Engine didn't start tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine didn't start tonight

I have a 03 TLS, 5 months old. This evening I had a very hard time starting the engine.

Before I took off this evening, I decided to change all 6 CDs. It took a minute or two to unload them and put the new ones in. When I was ready to go, I couldn't start the engine. There was a rapid rattle coming out of the dashboard, not the normal engine starting sound. I repeated it several times without any success, even with pressing the gas pedal a bit down. Today's a wet and cool day, but c'mon, 53 degrees in LA, I've been to single digit temperatures without any problem. I thought I would run back for the backup keys and see if it makes a difference. 5 minutes later still couldn't start the engine. I grabbed the manuals to see what it had to say about this situation, and about 15 minutes later I tried again. Not the first but the second try worked. In the past 45 minutes I went back a couple of times and started the engine quite easily, but I'm a little concerned that this would come back or even get worse. It happened once or twice before that the engine only started at the second try, but not like this. Today it was really scary. There's no reason to assume a 5 months old battery is bad, but it can not be excluded. Still, how come it didn't work for 15 minutes, and later it got better?

Anybody had similar problems before?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to generalize but it sounds as if one of the relays or selenoids under the dash isn't getting enough juice.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Advanced

That used to happen to my 92 Maxima whenever I left it in the rain. I got tired of being stranded everytime it rained, so I took it to the shop. They changed the alternator and now it starts everytime...even better than the TL.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, exactly, it sounded like a relay (or relays) clicking behind the dash. It was raining all day today. Interesting. We don't have a lot of rain here, but two weeks ago it was raining cats and dog (we even had flash floods), and that time I didn't experience this problem. And now it just disappeared. I can't reproduce it anymore. Although the rain stopped too.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
if it cranks its not the battery!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

It didn't crank. When it cranks, you can feel it on the car, but this time the car was not shaking a bit. I didn't experience even the slightest movement. Anyway, it's probably not serious. In the worst case it should be covered under warranty anyway. OTOH, I agree it's not the battery. There's no way that changing 6 CDs drains the battery to 0, and 15 minutes later the engine starts like new. It was something else, but at the time it was happening, it was not clear if it was the battery or not.

Alright, thanks to everybody who replied.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:46 AM
On the way!

Hey tdcpp, I know this is a little off topic, but did you know that you can hold the eject button down for a few seconds and it will eject all 6 CDs? You can do the same for loading.

It's a nice way of doing it fast.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by fla-tls
Hey tdcpp, I know this is a little off topic, but did you know that you can hold the eject button down for a few seconds and it will eject all 6 CDs? You can do the same for loading.

Sad to say, I just learned that last week and I've owned the car for a year now! I guess that's why it's good to read the manual.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Moo
Pro

Had the same problem back in October/November. Mine started after the fifth try. Dealer told me it had to do with some chemical they put in the gasoline to prevent it from freezing...

Anyway..I never experienced it again. There were a few ppl with similar problems.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Instructor

I dont know if its realted, but the 94 Accord EX i used to drive had some toruble starting sometimes. The engine would turn over, it just wouldnt start. It turns out it was a problem with the fuel system. Someone told me it was athe fuel pump relay, but i never actually looked into it. Whever it had trouble starting, i would take the gas cap off and hear alot of air rush into the tank, then it would always start after that.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TimN88
Whever it had trouble starting, i would take the gas cap off and hear alot of air rush into the tank, then it would always start after that.
The air rushing in to the tank is supposed to do that. Part of Ohio' bi-yearly E-Check (they check all the pollution garbage on cars) actually has a test to make sure the gas cap is sealing correctly.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Original Member #81

Do you have something like a large metal object on your keyring? It happened to me before, the metal object interferes with the key and it won't start. I took off the keyring and my car started without it on there....I put it back on and it wouldn't start.

Get it? I'm being serious ask your service department

Charles
Old 02-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Racer

My TL wouldnt start on me one day.
Left school one night on my way home. Stopped at the pump, filled it up, got back in... rapid clicks when I turned the key. The freaking things wouldnt crank. The car was warm, lights were off, but the nothing turned over, just a shower of sparks going off from the plugs!

Anyway. It had been cold that week, and the battery couldnt hold a charge. It had been weak cranking it in the mornings for a few days, but this was weird. For it to have been driven, shut off for about 5 minutes and not start again?!?! Very odd.
So I got me a die-hard. My car is an '02. Very poor performance for an "Acura" battery. plus you all know the warranty BS.. so for 3 bucks more I went to Sears and got me a bettery with a much better warranty! I had one in my old Taurus for over 7 years! I only replaced it because, well, I was afraid it would leave me stranded! Cranked to the day I traded it in.

Less than 2 months after purchase, it leaves me walking.

But What NSX4DR is saying is true. There was a big ad campaign and alert for folks who use the Mobile Speed-Pass wands and how they interfere with the remote ignition lock chips in our keys - preventing the car from starting. Basically the chip in the keys resonate at a frequency set off by the key receptical and the receptical senses that resonation. Similar to theft devices that set off the alarms at stores.
That is a possibility to your woes.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 AM
On the way!

Originally posted by spl1011
...It had been weak cranking it in the mornings for a few days, but this was weird. For it to have been driven, shut off for about 5 minutes and not start again?!?! Very odd...
I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that did the same thing. The OEM battery only lasted 18 months. I parked it and went into a fast food restaurant, and when I came out everything was dead.

I got some guys to help me push start it, but the car wouldn't remain running. I guess something must have shorted out in the battery.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

----------------------------------------------------------

if i only knew this on my trip across country, couldve saved me some headaches of removing and loading 1 by 1.

hehe
Old 02-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Instructor

I'm in the same rain in Sou. Cal. & had no problems w/my '03 TLS. Take it to an Acura dealer. I go to Thomas in Covina.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Instructor

There was an ignition switch recall. You never know.....
Old 02-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

It's been fine since then, no problem anymore. I don't have anything on my key fob, I even ran back for the backup keys. It actually happened when I was home, just 10 minutes after coming home from work. The engine was still warm. It wasn't the battery. Hmmm... it just proves that many different things can cause a similar problem. BTW, I'm noth of LA in Ventura Co. The closest dealer is Acura 101 in Calabasas.

Yes, I knew how to eject and reload 6 CDs at once.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, I've had trouble starting my car this winter. It had never done that. It's happened about 3 times this winter. All when it was in the 10's and the car had been sitting for a day or so. But after a couple of tries, it started, so I let it slide.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

If anyone is interested, it was caused by a weak battery. The dealer replaced it under warranty, and everything is fine now.