Electric Shock

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electric Shock

Hopefully you think this is just as weird as I do. Everday, I sit in my car, start it up and drive away. When I stop, turn off engine and open the driver door I get a semi painful electric shock . It only happens when I touch the metal part of the door of course but it happens everytime, no matter what is on or off in the car. I have no idea whats causing this. Although it did start to occur when the temperature started to drop. Hopefully someone here can fill me in on whats going on because this is starting to piss me off
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
East Coast Crew

The car doesn't want you to leave =]. What you are experience is called static electricity.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Yea but would that be the reason for it happening EVERY time you step out of the car? Is there anyting I can do about it? Would it go away when it gets warmer out? Answers please lol
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you have cloth seats? Either way, whats happening is your ass rubs against the seats as you are getting out creating a static charge, then by touching a metal part on the car you are equalizing it. It used to happen to me ALL the time with my base model impala with cloth seats. Its the same reason why they have all those warnings at the gas station pumps about touching a bare metal part on your car BEFORE you pump gas.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
oh yeah and if i rememebr correctly from school, humidity impairs triboelectricity(sp) so that would explain why it is worse when it is cold outside than when it is hot.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djdonte
Do you have cloth seats? Either way, whats happening is your ass rubs against the seats as you are getting out creating a static charge, then by touching a metal part on the car you are equalizing it. It used to happen to me ALL the time with my base model impala with cloth seats. Its the same reason why they have all those warnings at the gas station pumps about touching a bare metal part on your car BEFORE you pump gas.

thanks but I have leather, and rubber floor mats. I see what your saying with the cloth though. but I dont think thats whats going on in my car. unless you can create static by rubbing against leather
Old 02-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm stock and hating it.

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea you can. I have that same problem. But I dont know what to do about it. Ummm use more drier sheets maybe....
Old 02-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Instructor

It's not a "problem", unfortunately is just nature. I get it too, almost everyday, I just deal with it and touch the car when I get out. It will go away once it gets warmer out.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xyrcncp
It's not a "problem", unfortunately is just nature. I get it too, almost everyday, I just deal with it and touch the car when I get out. It will go away once it gets warmer out.

Thats mainly what I wanted to know. As long as its not a real problem. For a sec I thought I had an exposed wire somewhere I guess for now I'll try to keep from touching the metal with my bare hands. Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has to do with a compound in your tires called "Carbon Black". It rubs against the roadway and creates the static electricity much like dragging your feet on carpet in dry air and getting close to touching someone to discharge the buildup on ions.

To prevent it from happening when you open the door just grab part of the door frame (I use part of the bottom sill but not the plastic/fiberglass part) to ground yourself. THEN move your butt to get out of the car.

This happened a lot when I had my Eagle Talon (leather seats) and it even happens now in my girlfriend's Honda CR/V (cloth)
Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Have a shock prone day?

When refueling your car- touch the bare-unpainted metal ON THE PUMP- not the car- ,to ground yourself. The polished metal side of the pump is for just that purpose.

Do this again if you have walked away from the nozzle to clean windows or get back in and out of car...touch the unpainted side of the gas pump before touching the nozzle.
Flowing fuel creates a static charge just looking for the path of least resistance

Wearing nylon jacket or pants will surely charge you up-anyone got a ballon to test this?

Yes, you are the weakest link in this equation

You can always go to the truck trailer supply and get a "rubber" ground strap just like you see on every semi trailer and some older cars- mounts under car and drags on surface.
It gives the electricty a path to real ground.

On the rear of airplane wings you see a series of small sticks- those are static discharge wicks- and having even 1 broken is a NO FLY item!

Stay Smart
Stay Alive
Dont be an explosive video on CNN!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i get a static shock just about everytime too. i just got used to it.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Blasing
It has to do with a compound in your tires called "Carbon Black". It rubs against the roadway and creates the static electricity much like dragging your feet on carpet in dry air and getting close to touching someone to discharge the buildup on ions.

To prevent it from happening when you open the door just grab part of the door frame (I use part of the bottom sill but not the plastic/fiberglass part) to ground yourself. THEN move your butt to get out of the car.

This happened a lot when I had my Eagle Talon (leather seats) and it even happens now in my girlfriend's Honda CR/V (cloth)

wow, I just learned something new. thanks for the info. but I have a question, how come this never happens to the passengers, only the driver? I guess I gotta be careful until the winter is over because two of my fingers are beginning to feel like toast lol
Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Your passengers are just lucky

My wife gets shocked on the passenger side all the time.(until ground strap installed)
Try an experiment of letting them get out first!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
B A N N E D

friction and heat causes static electricity basically. so maybe stop rubbing your shoes on the carpet? hehe =p

at carshows we always get shocked opening car doors cuz of the thick carpet they have. your best bet is to try and keep your feet stationary and see what happens when you get out again. other than that. its paranormal Xp
Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ground strap!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Ground strap!

^^^^^^That would look funny as hell..

I get it too... But its only in the winter....
Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

You can always go to the truck trailer supply and get a "rubber" ground strap just like you see on every semi trailer and some older cars- mounts under car and drags on surface.
It gives the electricty a path to real ground.

So this thing actually rubs against the asphault (I probably didnt spell that right ) while attatched the car? wouldnt that cause excessive heat? I dont know sounds risky, and ugly What about leather gloves, since I plan on buying a pair anyway?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TlsNavi03
^^^^^^That would look funny as hell..

I get it too... But its only in the winter....
my thoughts exactly. I thought I was the only one with a weird car problem. I guess its not that uncommon
Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom Blasing
I HATE getting shocked! I have been doing this now since I was 17.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Papa S

Its the same thing as you see on every semi trailer going down the road. It isnt just "rubber" per say but a blended whatever with something in it.

If you look at a truck you will see the strip bounces slightly across the road
No issue with heat or things of that nature, wont cause excess drag etc.

And the no more shock and reduced fire danger when refueling is worth it.
Doesnt hang down off the bumper or anything crazy!

The intent is to SOLVE the static shock problem- not disguise it by wearing gloves, and if they are not made of rubber- dont expect them to insulate you from anything but cold.

Will post pics!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa_Sean
So this thing actually rubs against the asphault (I probably didnt spell that right ) while attatched the car? wouldnt that cause excessive heat? I dont know sounds risky, and ugly What about leather gloves, since I plan on buying a pair anyway?
If you mounted it under the car most wouldnt see it. No its not dangerous or causing excessive heat nor is it dangerous.
Either that or try different tires
Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
We had that same problem here at work. OUr electric lifts would shock us everytime we touched them, then we put a rubber strap from the lift to the ground and it never happened again.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If you mounted it under the car most wouldnt see it. No its not dangerous or causing excessive heat nor is it dangerous.
Either that or try different tires
damn, I just bought a set of oem michelins last summer, I think I'll pass on that tip but I'll definitley consider when its time to buy new rubber, thanks. By the way does anyone have a picture of this "Rubber Ground Strap." Im really interested in seeing how this looks, I need a visual
Old 02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Nissan Titan in

i get this problem too, i just normally close my car with my body rather than my hand, and then shock the next person i see (normally my girlfriend), it takes the aggrivating shock and kind of makes it into a fun event
Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Shocks happen when there is a difference of potential between you and whatever you touch.
If it happens when you are still in the car, and touch the handle to open the door, then decreasing the resistance between you and the car should help. Check to see that the seat frame is 0 ohms to the body of the car. Try static spray (check for staining first) or rubbing dryer sheets on the seat. Try wearing your summer shoes. Toss those Angel's Flight polyester slacks you stole from your dad's closet.
The carbon in the tires actually helps with reducing static; the carbon is conductive, and dissipates the static charge buildup.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Another thought - Do you have rubber all season mats?
Try static guard spray on the mats.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I think a part of why this happens in the winter is because people generally get drier skin because of the air being more dry. This in some way (I can't remember anymore) make your body more prone to shock.