driver side mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver side mirror problem

the last week ive just had bad luck with my tl. i was reaching for something in the bad seat and hit my driver side mirror against a mailbox. no real damage, but everytime i unlock the car, the mirror would move all the way to the left and make a clicking noise like its trying to move some more. so everytime i drive, i have to adjust the mirror. also, i noticed the passenger side mirror no longer moves downward since ive hit the other mirror. is there any way to fix this? thanks.

ps, my tl also completely spinned out (360) after a rain and i hit a sign and it completely destroyed my bumper. i had to put it in the back seat. this is the second time it has done this and both were in a turn but i wasnt even going fast the first time. is there something wrong? i think its the wheels ( need new ones )but should the car just completely lose control? i had no control of the car once it started to spin. where is the abs? and is there something wrong?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Advanced

I would also like to know about this. As I had the samething happen to me, I was driving back from Indiana to Chicago during this past winter which was a really bad one. It was a combination of things like icy wet roads, snow, and freezing temps. Tires were OE (michelin pilot mxv4) and were low on tread (20% i think) and within a second I lost control, and the car literally 360'd at least 3 times. And finally it stopped by hitting the guard rail at 40 mph. $3400 worth of damage.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just never heard someone have the same experience as me.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced

bump
Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I think you should be able to do at least 120 on bald tires over ice and have the abs pull off a 1g lateral turn and save your ass.
You both realize it's you and not the car, right?
You probably have to reset the seat memory once you get the mirror where you want it. Move the mirror selector to the side you want to tilt down in reverse.
Slow the f down in rain, ice, and snow.
Pay attention to where you are going.
OK, rant over.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Actually that wasn't the case at all. I moving with the flow of traffic, (slow at that - given the conditions) and wasn't speeding by any means at all. I've lived in Chicago for majority of my life, so I definitely know how to drive in any of Chicago's crazy weather days. I used to drive a M3 in high school, all year round mind you. Thats not the issue at all. Anyone on this forum will surely tell you that the OE tires are crap when it comes to bad conditions. (snow, ice,etc.) And I guess you have to be in the car at that time, because NOTHING could've prepared you for that. Just driving normally, and all of a sudden within a nanosecond, the car is litterally spinning 3 times in the middle of a interstate.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Actually that wasn't the case at all. I moving with the flow of traffic, (slow at that - given the conditions) and wasn't speeding by any means at all. I've lived in Chicago for majority of my life, so I definitely know how to drive in any of Chicago's crazy weather days. I used to drive a M3 in high school, all year round mind you. Thats not the issue at all. Anyone on this forum will surely tell you that the OE tires are crap when it comes to bad conditions. (snow, ice,etc.) And I guess you have to be in the car at that time, because NOTHING could've prepared you for that. Just driving normally, and all of a sudden within a nanosecond, the car is literally spinning 3 times in the middle of a interstate.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mpg2034
Actually that wasn't the case at all. I moving with the flow of traffic, (slow at that - given the conditions) and wasn't speeding by any means at all. I've lived in Chicago for majority of my life, so I definitely know how to drive in any of Chicago's crazy weather days. I used to drive a M3 in high school, all year round mind you. Thats not the issue at all. Anyone on this forum will surely tell you that the OE tires are crap when it comes to bad conditions. (snow, ice,etc.) And I guess you have to be in the car at that time, because NOTHING could've prepared you for that. Just driving normally, and all of a sudden within a nanosecond, the car is litterally spinning 3 times in the middle of a interstate.
You went from an M3 to a TL?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You went from an M3 to a TL?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Advanced

LOL. Yeah tell me about it. My parents took it away senior yr for one "D"! I had to drive whatever car was left in our driveway for the rest of the year. After graduating, I got the M3 back but sold it, and invested the money and started my own business. Sigh. Sometimes I think life would've been much simpler if I kept the M3
Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by mpg2034
Did you feel the ABS come on when this happened? Check the yaw sensor for the VSA system.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Advanced

thanks for helping me fix the mirror problem, but the skidding was uncontrolable. i think the front tires just slips and then the back of the car quickly spins with it causing the 360s. i admitting i was speeding a little the 2nd time this happened ( around 40-45 ) but the first time i was just going around 25-30. nothing kick on (abs, etc.) to prevent the spinning
Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by new2tl
thanks for helping me fix the mirror problem, but the skidding was uncontrolable. i think the front tires just slips and then the back of the car quickly spins with it causing the 360s. i admitting i was speeding a little the 2nd time this happened ( around 40-45 ) but the first time i was just going around 25-30. nothing kick on (abs, etc.) to prevent the spinning
The VSA system that is designed to help control skids isn't magic. The tires only have so much grip, you have to drive within the grip limit. If you were skidding, you were outside those limits, VSA or not. Obviously, they have less grip in rain, snow, ice, etc.
You had to be going too fast for conditions, and/or haven't learned how to control a skid.
There are classes you can take where you actually skid cars around in safe conditions to learn how to recover from a skid. Check your local track. In the meantime, slow down.
You've had what, two accidents in a week? Doesn't that tell you something?