Dr.Evil TL Tranny..advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr.Evil TL Tranny..advice needed

Hey im thinking about getting a dr.evil tranny for my gf's TL. Her tranny just went out at 82K. But shes gonna keep the car for a pretty damn long time so i need a tranny thats willing to last. She wont be boosting it, maybe just intake, exaust, the minor stuff.

Do you guys think Street Evil or the 2nd level of Evil is good enough for her to drive normally for about 2-3 years? The transmission wont slip after like a year or anything right?

What should i get to get the best transmission thats durable for her car?

Also what is the code for the TL tranny?

http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/products.html

Dr.Evil website doesnt list the name the tranny belongs to.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take it to the dealer and get it replaced 4 free. The tranny rebuilds after Feb 2005 have seem to be much more durable, according to the results from the members who've replaced them.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:09 AM
Cruisin'

well the car has a salvage title so that idea went to hell
Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sin-R V6
well the car has a salvage title so that idea went to hell
Yes, that's one of the major drawbacks of a salvage title. No warranty coverage.

Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take it to the dealer anyway, tell 'em the tranny is toast, just don't mention it's got a salvage title. Odds are, they'll replace it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Sin-R V6
Also what is the code for the TL tranny?

+2
Old 12-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikePA
Take it to the dealer anyway, tell 'em the tranny is toast, just don't mention it's got a salvage title. Odds are, they'll replace it.
it goes by vin# so they will know
Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 AM
1999 tl

I dont think the dealer would have a carfax or something like that to check?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Cruisin'

yea they check the DMV for title before they process it. I tried that.

So anyone, the tranny code or ID so i can order from Dr.Evil?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

how stupid can people be...jesus chris!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
it goes by vin# so they will know
No duh. That wasn't my point. Some dealers don't check the vin before servicing a vehicle.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

I would take it to the dealer and if they give you shit about the salvaged title, ask them #1 where it states in their policy re the tranny lawsuit settlement they dont do warranty work on salvaged titles and #2 to show you where anything re the fact that the title is salvaged title has anything to do with the tranny, since all trannys have been recalled anyway. This is not just a warranty issue, its a fucked up tranny on all 2nd gen tlz so, shouldnt matter if its salvaged title.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oulaw29
I would take it to the dealer and if they give you shit about the salvaged title
Read the entire thread (it's a short thread), he's already tried that.

#1 where it states in their policy re the tranny lawsuit settlement they dont do warranty work on salvaged titles and
and if they show you this, then what?

#2 to show you where anything re the fact that the title is salvaged title has anything to do with the tranny, since all trannys have been recalled anyway. This is not just a warranty issue, its a fucked up tranny on all 2nd gen tlz so, shouldnt matter if its salvaged title.
Yep, good advice, make the people you want to work on your car mad.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
back to the question. if I had the $$$$ I would get a dr. evil tranny in a second. more power and better internals, especially for the 4spd like my 99. it would be a dream come true, then i'd be getting a 75 shot nitrous wet kit.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The transmission code is B7WA.

I would take it to a transmission shop and have the unit rebuilt. It should cost you a bit less than $3000 and it should last you another 100k miles.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and if they give you shit about the salvaged title, ask them #1 where it states in their policy re the tranny lawsuit settlement they dont do warranty work on salvaged titles and #2 to show you where anything re the fact that the title is salvaged title has anything to do with the tranny, since all trannys have been recalled anyway. This is not just a warranty issue, its a fucked up tranny on all 2nd gen tlz so, shouldnt matter if its salvaged title.
1. Car manufacturers DONT have to honor any warranty related work on cars with a salvaged title. It doesnt matter if there is a settlement or not.
2. The trannies HAVE NOT been recalled. there was simply a recall to add the oiljet kit. Period. WIth a salvaged title they dont have to honor the warranty extension.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Yes, thats my point. I am battling them on it. They are trying to hide from that question but I am certain I will prevail.
Ill update you on it.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
1. Car manufacturers DONT have to honor any warranty related work on cars with a salvaged title. It doesnt matter if there is a settlement or not.
2. The trannies HAVE NOT been recalled. there was simply a recall to add the oiljet kit. Period. WIth a salvaged title they dont have to honor the warranty extension.
So I did some research. Youre not totally right.. you see, its a safety issue. The point is, if people crash due to it, Honda is responsible.

The warranty extension is a sham b/c it doesnt apply if your warranty expired. So, if people have problems w/ 36001 miles, it doesnt apply. Hence a lawsuit.

Worst case scenarion, Im paying for my tranny and suing Honda for reimbursment. Legal grounds are totally sound:
1- they admitted their fault in trannys.
2- they admitted their fault by fixing past-warranties due to safety issue
3- they worked on salvaged cars b/c it was a safety issue
4- since the safety issue wasnt corrected, as long as it deals w/ same problem, they gotta fix it.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
l33t

True, however because it's worded as a "Warranty Extension" not a "Safety Recall", they won't cover it.

Honda (as well as i would) will take the risk of the odds that a salvage'd title TL will have an accident, injyry/death, followed by a winning lawsuit over calling it a "Recall" any day.

But don't give up on the one dealer. Find another one. I've floated more free work by surfing dealers than I can count. One dealer would notice something that I caused, then try to charge me, and the other would not catch it.

Some of these guys are right, you catch a service writer in a hurry or a day where paperwork just isn't right, and your car can slip through the cracks just as easily as any other thing that gets messed up internally at any place of business. It's worth a shot if it saves you a thousand bucks. You've got nothing to loose, even if you drive 100 miles to the next closest acura dealer, the worst they could say is say "no".
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kastetx
So I did some research. Youre not totally right.. you see, its a safety issue.
You see, no it's not a safety issue.

The recall to install the oil jet was was a safety recall. The 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty was just that, a warranty extension.

It's great when newbies think they've found a solution. Nevermind others, with more brains and more money, have actually filed (they didn't just do a little research and have a theory) a class action lawsuit and the best they could do was a piddly 9,000 more miles and 9 more months, assuming the judge approves.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
I would take it to a transmission shop and have the unit rebuilt. It should cost you a bit less than $3000 and it should last you another 100k miles.
we've allready found out through other members that this doesn't really work. the only thing that would cause that to change now is where they get their parts. if they use a junkyard tranny then it's obviously going to fail again. if they get parts from acura then Sin-R V6 would just have to make sure they request the latest revision to the parts.

Sin-R - if you do have the money, go with the Dr. Evil. i was chatting with serge on the CL boards the other day and he has been running the dr. evil on his accord v6 with 4AT tranny and supercharger. he uses it as his daily driver and has racked up alot of miles with no issues. i have a good feeling the dr. evil tranny is going to last just fine.

SSTS
Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

hmm the retail is like $4000
Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

You see, no it's not a safety issue.

The recall to install the oil jet was was a safety recall. The 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty was just that, a warranty extension.

It's great when newbies think they've found a solution. Nevermind others, with more brains and more money, have actually filed (they didn't just do a little research and have a theory) a class action lawsuit and the best they could do was a piddly 9,000 more miles and 9 more months, assuming the judge approves.
its the best they could do b/c its a class action suit. It covers a set of people, hence called a "class" w/ no individual fact-findings. Read up on legal doctrine of res-ipsa-Loquitur and get back to me.

it has nothing to do w/ newbies, it has to do w/ my above stated assertions. Its only part of my claim that its a safety issue, which, in fact, it is. However, if not, their admission of need of replacement by changing it once and failing is an equitable reason to finish their work.

Check it out....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
And what makes Dr. Evil's transmission so good?

Perhaps the Raybestos really does have updated parts now for our transmission...and many leading kits use their friction materials.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

So I did some research. Youre not totally right.. you see, its a safety issue. The point is, if people crash due to it, Honda is responsible.

The warranty extension is a sham b/c it doesnt apply if your warranty expired. So, if people have problems w/ 36001 miles, it doesnt apply. Hence a lawsuit.

Worst case scenarion, Im paying for my tranny and suing Honda for reimbursment. Legal grounds are totally sound:
1- they admitted their fault in trannys.
2- they admitted their fault by fixing past-warranties due to safety issue
3- they worked on salvaged cars b/c it was a safety issue
4- since the safety issue wasnt corrected, as long as it deals w/ same problem, they gotta fix it.

They DONT have to cover any work on your car. All they have to do is install the recall part. They dont have to honor a single ounce of warranty.

And i dont want to burst your little bubble, but the NTHSA looked into it and closed the case. The didnt deem any further measures be done.

You buying a salvaged title car pretty much takes away any responsibility any manufacturer would normally have.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Drifting

its the best they could do b/c its a class action suit. It covers a set of people, hence called a "class" w/ no individual fact-findings. Read up on legal doctrine of res-ipsa-Loquitur and get back to me.

it has nothing to do w/ newbies, it has to do w/ my above stated assertions. Its only part of my claim that its a safety issue, which, in fact, it is. However, if not, their admission of need of replacement by changing it once and failing is an equitable reason to finish their work.

Check it out....
Prove your assertion and sue them yourself if you're so sure about your theory. While you're at it, sue them about the 'exploding rear view mirror'.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Prove your assertion and sue them yourself if you're so sure about your theory. While you're at it, sue them about the 'exploding rear view mirror'.
LOL, haha.

well i will sue them but not yet. I have no damages and courts are reluctant to grant specific performance.
If and when my tranny fails and I get it replaced at cost, then and only then can I sue for what I paid.

Odds are, I will win it. Ill update when that happens.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Kilos of yayo in

LOL, haha.

well i will sue them but not yet. I have no damages and courts are reluctant to grant specific performance.
If and when my tranny fails and I get it replaced at cost, then and only then can I sue for what I paid.

Odds are, I will win it. Ill update when hell freezes over.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

LOL, haha.

Odds are, I will win it. Ill update when that happens.
Odds are you wont. But good luck trying
Old 12-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Cruisin'

For God's sake what a bunch of non-specific crap and theory. A salvaged title implies that the car was in an accident, which implies abuse, which simply is never covered.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
On the way!

The tranny for the 5 speed 2nd gen TL is either M7WA or B7WA, depending on where it's original manufacture point was. M is Japan, B is US.

Mine is an M7WA - but it's a replacement, so I'm fairly sure it was overhauled at the new (well - a few years old) US mfg plant. In any event, Honda's are always nice in that they will put a sticker on the unit in a fairly obvious place which indicates it's model.

As far as those two companies and their quality? I have no experience with their product (haven't seen one in the shop), so I can't advise on the quality.

Good luck in any event.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Odds are, I will win it.
What do you base this opinion on? Certainly not precedent.

Ill update when that happens.
Why wait? If you're so confident, there are plenty of people on AZ who have spent money on replacing their transmission. Why not handle their case pro bono?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

What do you base this opinion on? Certainly not precedent.

Why wait? If you're so confident, there are plenty of people on AZ who have spent money on replacing their transmission. Why not handle their case pro bono?
well im sure theres a case somewhere w/ sum1 suing acura but im not relying on it.
read above for my complain basis. also, once i establish a case its on them to dismiss it. ill try it, i think im good to go...

pro bono? let me do mine first..
why wait? cuz i got no damages yet and hence, no standing other than specific performance which i aint gettin in NY
Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

does anyone have anything to add about dr. evil trannys? because my tranny is on it's way out again.....
Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Banned

^ same here.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
does anyone have anything to add about dr. evil trannys? because my tranny is on it's way out again.....
While their 4 speeds may be good, i dont know any thing about their 5 speeds. I dont trust that they will be any better. They never said what or how they accomplished fixing the issue we have, plus their warranty for how much they cost with the supposed fix sucks.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

While their 4 speeds may be good, i dont know any thing about their 5 speeds. I dont trust that they will be any better. They never said what or how they accomplished fixing the issue we have, plus their warranty for how much they cost with the supposed fix sucks.
this is true. plus the guys who bought the 5ATs in the group buy haven't said dick about them. i'll have to dig back and find out who was in on the groupbuy. maybe we can coax them out.

now i don't troll the accord boards often but i've heard that their 4ATs were nearly as problematic as our 5ATs. i find this hard to believe but do any of you guys know how much truth there is to this or what their main issues were?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

If they were designed the same as the Tls 4 speeds i dont think they were any different than our 4 speeds???
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

If they were designed the same as the Tls 4 speeds i dont think they were any different than our 4 speeds???
well i thought they were designed the same too, but maybe there *was* a difference because even on this board people talk about the honda "autotragics" for models other than the 2nd gen tl. considering you don't hear about many 4AT TL tranny failures there must be something different about it compared to the accord's/civic's 4sp design.

just a thought.