Dr. Evil 5-speed auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr. Evil 5-speed auto transmission

Tired of STOCK POS AUTO constant issues?

Anybody heard of Dr. Evil tranny? It's a very successfull product for CL 3.0 and Accord V6 4AT that has been rebuild from scratch. Guess what? They have also build CL-S 5AT and it was behing the closed doors until now. There is a current groupbuy going for 4AT CL/AV6 and 5AT for TL/CL/TL-S/CL-S has been added today.

Here is the basic info:
Everything inside is replaced by a high-quality products.

The following parts are in a Dr Evil Transmission
~ Phantom Grip Limited Slip Differential Lock
~ Carbon-kevlar fiber clutches
~ Upgraded torque converter
~ Upgraded flex plate
~ Custom built upgraded internal pieces
~ Valve body modifications to improve shifting
~ Ensure all upgrades are COMPATIBLE with the factory ECU

Expected performance goals as a result of tranny upgrades:
~ Shift firmness will be improved
~ Shift quality will be improved
~ Will OUTLAST the auto TRAGIC transmission Honda is using
~ Expected power handling 350-450 WHP
~ Improved WHEEL HP numbers as a result of better internals
~ Improved WHEEL TQ numbers attributed to new torque converter
~ 1/4 mile times will be improved
~ Both stock and modded vehicles can now enjoy the transmission

Guys with modded Accords over 300whp have tested over 2 years, so the quality and reliability is there.

Now the price. The groupbuy price is $3750 ($500 off)
If you guys interested I'll post a link.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Pro

I will be very interested, since I would love to keep my car for the long run. However, I've read here and over at the CL board from who the board consider "experts" when it comes to the TL/CL.

And even those guys say there is no hope for our transmissions, it's going to die regardless. If you or "Dr. Evil" can provide statistics, showing that the rebuilt transmissions that are putting out in excess of 250 - 300 whp are goning strong, and will continue to go strong for the long run, I'm certain more memembers, including my self will jump on it.

I'm not ready now, but if the proof is there I just might. I just need to know that it would hold up, considering the price tag.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

And now we finally have a reliable tested aftermarket transmission..... Now we need a reliable aftermarked Turbo setup.

And with this addition to the Acura TL-S aftermarket list there should be a company stepping up and making a turbo to match the tranny.. the acheles heel of this car.. I could see companies steering away from a turbo for tht TL because the turbo setup would almost definitely fry the stock tranny.. and at the time, without a reliable aftermarket tranny there would be nowhere for the customer to turn for help.. Acura would put the same baddesigned tranny back in (if you're lucky this might happen once), but the turbo would fry it again leaving you up with a beautifuly powered engine without a tranny available to hold it. Now we have that tranny I'd love to see things start really progressing with regards to heavy mods on a 2nd Gen TL/TL-S
Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 AM

Oh and yes why don't you post the link?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Isn't the problem with our tranny has to do with the clutchpacks?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Link and price?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Link and price?
price is there..3750....but still waiting for the link....do i have to search for it myself?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Probably not allowed..I assume he's from v 6 p . n e t though
Old 02-11-2006, 06:16 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it appears that these transmissions aren't as bulletproof as some may think. In additoin, it seems as though that these transmissions have a 12k mile or 1 year warranty just like the remanufactured trannsmissions that Acura is replacing the originals with. I thought I'd just put this out there.

Check this post I found: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66760
Old 02-11-2006, 06:23 PM
アキュラ 力

Sorry I just realized that the link goes to the bottom of the threa, click here to go to the first post of this thread (sorry I couldn't edit my prior post):

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=66760
Old 02-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I thought there was a silver lining...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by AsianRage
I thought there was a silver lining...
Keep in mind that this example could be a rare occurrence also Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Talking

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
Keep in mind that this example could be a rare occurrence also Just thought I'd throw it out there.
wanna bet $3500 on that?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by AsianRage
wanna bet $3500 on that?
not really
Old 02-11-2006, 07:19 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it appears that these transmissions aren't as bulletproof as some may think. In additoin, it seems as though that these transmissions have a 12k mile or 1 year warranty just like the remanufactured trannsmissions that Acura is replacing the originals with. I thought I'd just put this out there.

Check this post I found: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66760

I'm not interested in the Dr. Evil transmission at all but I remember what that guy posted about his transmission months ago(prior to this post). He brought it used from some guy in Florida and there is no telling what that individual did, etc. Every other individual on V6p hasn't had any problems including serge with this 300+whp ...and at least 2-3 other accords that are making around that number.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
I'm not interested in the Dr. Evil transmission at all but I remember what that guy posted about his transmission months ago(prior to this post). He brought it used from some guy in Florida and there is no telling what that individual did, etc. Every other individual on V6p hasn't had any problems including serge with this 300+whp ...and at least 2-3 other accords that are making around that number.
True, you never know what you're going to get when you purchase something used. Here is a little more reading material for everyone: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=36505
Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

True, you never know what you're going to get when you purchase something used. Here is a little more reading material for everyone: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=36505
It seems like only one person got the tranny with the bad LSD. All and all, it's an iffy proposition. The problem with our tranny seems to come from an engineering standpoint in that it's badly designed (?) . IF that's so, then having reinforced internals would only prolong it.

Anyone care to clarify? I would LOVE to be wrong.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 AM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Heard to clarify since everyone who has gotten an aftermarket tranny for the cl/tl has failed(5 speed tranny that is). According to Dr. Evil, they did do one but I don't anyone knows the where abouts of that individual.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro

Based on what a single post that wasn't prooved if any mechanical failure exist?
On the top, this induvidual is a second owner while previous was involved in a serious collision?

Over 50 4AT transmissions were built and they work great with various power.
So I don't think 5AT will have any issues.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Pro

Couple things. Dr. Evil is a very reputable shop who typically builds serious trannys for drag racing cars but when guys with J30 (4AT) came with request to build the REAL ONE they made a dream come true.
The groupbuy link is below, but to get you a clue about the power hold up here are some dynos of top 4AT guys who's running over 2 years on Dr. Evil with documented over 300wh and are happy.

Yet, here is response from one of the guys on the above listed dyno:
Originally Posted by 02AV6
... judging a product you don't own (Dr. Evil) creates a wrong impression on others which is the case of confusion here. They (Dr. Evil) do keep a secret behind doors but I'll try to shed some light asap what exactly is different (besides strong internals, torque converter, solenoids and LSD).

Several years ago, my OEM transmission gave up on the way home (after the track) with 260whp. Next week my top priority was to part out the vehicle and eventually sell it. At that time I heard good things about Dr. Evil but was a biggest pessimist regarding any aftermarket J30 transmission as everyone reported constant failures through small and large shops including infamous Level10. Recently, MrV6 himself approached PRT (Pheonix Remanufactured Transmissions) to deliver an inexpensive solution for the rest of members and eventually call it V6P tranny. Guess what, all 3 prototype transmissions installed on his ride in less than 6 weeks and all ended up in operation failures which were caused from the 1st gear burning out with just a couple hundred miles on it.

Well, not the case here. Right now, I'm a biggest optimist of Dr. Evil.
My car is an example of successful transmission here (with my previously documented 321whp) which I intensively tested on the street and both dyno and track. Yet, I put 13-14K miles on it within 2 years since it's a toy, however others use it as daily driver with much more miles and reported good results. To this date, over 50 4AT were built and none has failed period, so mechanically it's a great product utilized at different power level. My reported issue as mentioned turned out to be electrical one with ECU and has nothing to do with transmsision as it works whatever ECU tells it to. Heck, I paid much more [$4000 + local tax (IL)] at that time and do you really think I would be silent if it was any true mechanical failure? Finally, MrV6 (as mentioned above) right now is one of the first on the Dr. Evil list as he builds his J30 project vehicle ready for SEMA and needs a reliable transmission to hold the power of upcoming turbo kit.

I don't blame anyone if you still have some doubts for any frigging reason and I was the same when my OEM autotragic died on me. However upon discovery of Dr. Evil and daily conversation with the owner I made a decision and I'm happy I did along with others who currently use it. Yes, according to Dr. Evil they have built just ONE 5AT, however considering a success with 4AT I have NO DOUBT it will serve as well.

Bottom line, many tried and failed but Dr. Evil is the only one who continue to impress.
Are you with me yet?
Here I dig up the pics of OEM and Dr. Evil :

And here is a real GROUPBUY - $3,750 (500 off)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Id be willing to bet the stock TL tranny can handle well over 300hp. The parts arent weak inside. Its just the 3rd gear clutchpack thats too small to handle the heat and not enough cooling. If they were to find a way to handle that situation (very unlikely) then it may be a good thing.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by av6ent
Based on what a single post that wasn't prooved if any mechanical failure exist?
On the top, this induvidual is a second owner while previous was involved in a serious collision?
Hence my qualifying statement following my initial post :

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any other examples of satisfied customers who can vouch for the reliability of these transmissions?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Pro

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any other examples of satisfied customers who can vouch for the reliability of these transmissions?
I strongly believe that this is exactly what we need to find out, in order to make an intelligent decission. These are some potential questions, to which their answers could help us arrive to a better conclussion:

1. How many "Dr. Evil" transmissions are out there? (Accord/CL/TL,etc)
2. For how long have they had the transmission?
3. How much horsepower are they putting down at the wheels?
4. And if they are not happy, state the reasons why... w/ detail.

My
Old 02-13-2006, 12:29 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
I strongly believe that this is exactly what we need to find out, in order to make an intelligent decission. These are some potential questions, to which their answers could help us arrive to a better conclussion:

1. How many "Dr. Evil" transmissions are out there? (Accord/CL/TL,etc)
2. For how long have they had the transmission?
3. How much horsepower are they putting down at the wheels?
4. And if they are not happy, state the reasons why... w/ detail.

My

1) CL/TL - 1 5at from what Dr.Evil has said
Accords - over 50 w/ no failures(the one person who said it failed hasn't showed any proof that yet.)

2) Good question

3) At least 3 of them I know off have over 300whp
4) Haven't heard any issues other than that one guy.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
On the way!

It's all about the warranty. If it's that good, back it with a 3/36 warranty!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by fla-tls
It's all about the warranty. If it's that good, back it with a 3/36 warranty!
Here you go, all the info can be found on the Dr. Evil website

DR. EVIL PRODUCT WARRANTY
• All converters are warranted for one year from the date of purchase against defective parts and workmanship.
• A copy of the invoice must accompany all returns.
All Dr. Evil Street/Strip Transmissions are warranted for 12-months and includes warranty labor rate coverage when installed by a professional repair shop.
• Race Transmissions come with a one-year in-house labor warranty and a six-month limited parts warranty.
• During the warranty period, Dr. Evil Performance Transmissions will repair or replace any parts determined to be defective due to workmanship or material.
• The purchaser must prepay shipping charges for the return of any defective parts. Parts returned freight collect will be refused and returned at customer expense.
Warranty of transmissions is limited to replacement of all friction materials, seals and gaskets.
• Additional charges will be made for damaged parts due to improper installation, misuse or abuse, improper cooling or low fluid level.
This warranty is limited to the value of the parts covered by this warranty and is in lieu of all other warranties, expressed or implied, including the warranty of merchantability and fitness of the product for any purpose.
• No other consequential damages or other charges, implied or expressed are allowed.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I=X - optomos

1/12 warranty is pathetic for that kind of money. The internal gears can be made from Iridium, but if the warranty does not reflect the quality it only makes you skeptical. Id rather go to AAMCO and get a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by optomos
1/12 warranty is pathetic for that kind of money. The internal gears can be made from Iridium, but if the warranty does not reflect the quality it only makes you skeptical. Id rather go to AAMCO and get a lifetime warranty.
AAMCO
You can shove it up their ass. When I had my 01 AV6 my autotragic died with only 15K mi on it. Went to AAMCO, wasted $2200 and it died again on the first 9K mi. Went back they said it's design flaw and can't do shit. Go ahead make that mistake again. Nobody EVER build a good auto transmission for J-series EXCEPT DR. EVIL.

Read below on the updated warranty.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro

[quote]
VI. WARRANTY (update)
Absolutely STOCK cars - 24 mo/24,000 mi;
HIGH PERFORMARMANCE - 12mo/12,000mi
The secret of this successful transmission is behind doors, however Dr. Evil utilize Raybestos clutch packs which withstand the power up to 4000HP, fluid flow has been changed along with many inside features.
Redline Sythentic 4D ATF must be used otherwise warranty is void. This synthetic fluid allows 20-30* reduction in temperature operation. Again, no Amsoil, No Mobil1, etc.

VI. WARRANTY (update)
The secret of this successful transmission is behind doors, however Dr. Evil utilize Raybestos clutch packs which withstand the power up to 4000HP, fluid flow has been changed along with many inside features.
Redline Sythentic 4D ATF must be used otherwise warranty is void. This synthetic fluid allows 20-30* reduction in temperature operation. Again, no Amsoil, No Mobil1, etc.

Keep in mind, Dr. Evil has been tested over 2 years on some J30 vehicles with good results. Personally, numerous tests has been conducted on my 321whp AV6 with nothing but healthy mechanical response. BTW, total number of produced 4AT transmissions are over 50 to this date and so far 1 5AT.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro

VI. WARRANTY (update)

Keep in mind, Dr. Evil has been tested over 2 years on some J30 vehicles with good results. Personally, numerous tests has been conducted on my 321whp AV6 with nothing but healthy mechanical response. BTW, total number of produced 4AT transmissions are over 50 to this date and so far 1 5AT.

BTW, first groupbuy is complete - 3 CL and 3 AV6
Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
All Hail the Chief

I don't get this whole 300+WHP thing....does simply getting this new tranmission on your stock car boost your HP to 300+? Or does it only mean if you've modded the hell out of your car to where it runs 300+WHP, that the tranny will be able to handle it?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
On the way!

24/24 on a stock car? My shop can do better than that!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I=X - optomos

Originally Posted by JPritch
I don't get this whole 300+WHP thing....does simply getting this new tranmission on your stock car boost your HP to 300+? Or does it only mean if you've modded the hell out of your car to where it runs 300+WHP, that the tranny will be able to handle it?
Yes
Old 02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JPritch

Question #1: Are you for real?
Questing #2: Yes, Dr. Evil is able to handle the power on J-series vehicles with over 300whp. So, it will be fine less then 300whp. The point is it's designed for both stock and modded cars.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro

24/24 on a stock car? My shop can do better than that!
Sure they can, and I wonder how long it last.
Did it ever occur to you that lots of people got rid of TL/TL-S since they had OEM autotragic replaced 2 or 3 times even bone stock . So, show me any shop but Dr. Evil who can make one to handle various power level. Yet show me any booletproof tranny with warranty over 24/24. AAMCO? Level10? PRT?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 AM
On the way!

There is no such thing as a "bulletproof tranny." That's the whole point of a long-term warranty. If you get a lifetime warranty (or at least a 3+ year extended warranty) it won't matter if it died 3 more times, since you never have to pay for the repair again.

This whole search for a "bulletproof tranny" is like the search for the holy grail. If it were truly bulletproof, it would have a lifetime warranty on a stock car. Carbon kevlar clutches and billet torque converters won't matter much to you when that thing dies in month 26. At almost $4k, that thing should have a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
it's too bad you need a core to send in. i couldn't live without my car for that long. time to start combing the junkyards.

i'm leaning towards this deal, BUT, i will say i have heard AWFUL things about Phantom Grip LSDs from my days of dealing with the crap ford trannies in the Taurus SHO. Phantom Grip made some LSDs for the SHOs and they were prone to self-destruction from what i remember.

now i should also mention that this was said to be isolated to the SHO tranny since the LSDs were fairly new and untested, but it just looms in the back of my mind. i honestly never heard anything bad about their other LSDs though. has anyone here heard anything at all?

SSTS
Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

well arn't guys with superchargers using the stock tranny and it holds up pretty good. like kris said its just the clutch packs thats the problem with the stock tranny's.

if my car was over the 100k mark i might keep this page bookmarked. if you have 100k honda warentee i wouldn't bother

m
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Pro

There is no such thing as a "bulletproof tranny." That's the whole point of a long-term warranty. If you get a lifetime warranty (or at least a 3+ year extended warranty) it won't matter if it died 3 more times, since you never have to pay for the repair again.

This whole search for a "bulletproof tranny" is like the search for the holy grail. If it were truly bulletproof, it would have a lifetime warranty on a stock car. Carbon kevlar clutches and billet torque converters won't matter much to you when that thing dies in month 26. At almost $4k, that thing should have a lifetime warranty.
Now you you have a valid point.
Correct, there is NO bulletproff tranny period. I used that 'cliche' but basically the point was nobody going to provide 36mo + warranty on aftermarket transmission regadless of the price. If they do, they full of shit and I'd like to see at least one stating (in writing) they offer minimum 36mo complete warranty.

Back to Dr. Evil, I heard several guys running Dr. Evil tranny on their stock car and already put 40K mi . So, it works great.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
it's too bad you need a core to send in. i couldn't live without my car for that long. time to start combing the junkyards.

i'm leaning towards this deal, BUT, i will say i have heard AWFUL things about Phantom Grip LSDs from my days of dealing with the crap ford trannies in the Taurus SHO. Phantom Grip made some LSDs for the SHOs and they were prone to self-destruction from what i remember.

now i should also mention that this was said to be isolated to the SHO tranny since the LSDs were fairly new and untested, but it just looms in the back of my mind. i honestly never heard anything bad about their other LSDs though. has anyone here heard anything at all?

SSTS
CL-S guy who's currently on the groupbuy list is getting a cheap one at junk yard.
As far as Phantom LSD, it takes up to 150 mi to properly break-in and nobody yet with Dr. Evil reported any issues, yet our top SC guys with over 300whp do LOVE IT.

Quick Reply: Dr. Evil 5-speed auto transmission