Dom unit and backup cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dom unit and backup cam?

Well i just ordered my dom unit from a member today and i already have the blitzsafe and the dvd player. I realized a backup cam is a good thing to have when i almost nailed a cement wall today as i was backing into a spot.

I know nothing about wiring a backup cam, so i hope u guys can help. how did u guys run the wires and where are u gettin the power. I want it to turn on when i put it in reverse, is this even possible with the basic non PnP dom unit or am i wishing for too much? where did u guys mount the cam? i was lookin on ebay and they have some that attach to the lisence plate.

if u guys have pics of the setup please post them

thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Wish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.. it depends on ur screen really.. i have a backup cam on my TL which turns on only when i put it to reverse (powered to the reverse light) and the wiring depends on where u put it. i have it on the trunk lid... painted with the factory touch up paint so looks discrete...

so basically the only thing u really need is a screen that can switch inputs when it receives/detects power from the reverse light... (not sure if there is a device that allows this.. i'm sure there is... sorry my deck has a wire running for the reverse signal to auto switch input, JVC KD-AVX2)

just make sure the cam is perfectly adjusted and if u can get an auto focus one + nightvision (my cam) , then it would be even better ... and wide angle is good but too wide takes away the whole point, since u gotta then start squinting.....

DO NOT post it to the license plate... since ppl can easily steal it... post it on top of it where that hole is near the light..

sorry for the bad pics, stupid camera phone has no auto focus.. sigh..
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM
B A N N E D

well i have the stock navi screen and the camera is running into the dom unit. i dont wanna drill into my trunk and do wht u did. is there any place i can mount it tht doesnt require drillin?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont like the looks of it mounted in the trunk lid like a key hole. Id find a better place, something that didnt stand out as much
Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Where can you buy the cams?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont like the looks of it mounted in the trunk lid like a key hole. Id find a better place, something that didnt stand out as much
Like the JDM Spoiler
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Prick of the month

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I disagree, I think it makes it look unique, especially since almost no acura has had a keyhole after '98.
People wonder what it is and why other TLs don't have it, they think it looks sick. In two years and a road trip through 4 states, including texas, I've never seen another one, t7n7s is the first I've seen besides mine, of course I never drove through Canada. Which either means it is unique or everyone else decided it looked like crap, I like to think it's the former. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and this is just my .

If I had a JDM spoiler I wouldn't be having this conversation though. At least this one is hard to steal .
Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Wish

x2

hehehe EXACTLY... UNIQUE is the word i'm looking for.. and ur right... most ppl especially other Tl drivers always stare down and realise its a camera,, then they get all excited by it.... i'll try to take some pics of this in action.. its amazing, super clear and autofocus/nightvision!

and yes...... if i had a JDM spoiler..... i wouldn't be having this conversation either!

also KEEP THIS IN MIND (because i think before i do something) ... by puttin the camera on ur bumper or near it... during an accident, even if its a small one.. ur gonna have a hard time fixin it... most cases replacing it along with the bumper.. which will suck... this place on the trunk is nice and safe... gives a MUCH Better view (good camera helps) ... and it looks nice as well... drilling or not drilling ... if it matches and looks nice and has more advantages then puttin it on the license plate.. then its worth it...

besides, most new cars have it near teh top for a better view... not so low near our bumpers.. dont' forget.. our license plates are on the bumper (which sucks as well since sometimes it cracks during a bumper accident) ..most cars have it near the trunk.. thus keepin the camera there.

Originally Posted by 02TLSfan
I disagree, I think it makes it look unique, especially since almost no acura has had a keyhole after '98.
People wonder what it is and why other TLs don't have it, they think it looks sick. In two years and a road trip through 4 states, including texas, I've never seen another one, t7n7s is the first I've seen besides mine, of course I never drove through Canada. Which either means it is unique or everyone else decided it looked like crap, I like to think it's the former. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and this is just my .

If I had a JDM spoiler I wouldn't be having this conversation though. At least this one is hard to steal .
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Wish

ebay

Originally Posted by cjde2006
Where can you buy the cams?

you can buy the cams @ several places online...

www.mp3playerstore.com/
www.ebay.com
www.chinavasion.com/

these places give u tons of options! hope this helps!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Prick of the month

Very true on both posts. I used an Audiovox wide angle camera that was supposed to go with a rearview mirror, didn't want the mirror so I stripped the camera wire, plugged it into my A/V in on my head unit and powered it to the reverse. I like the centered look, very symmetric; which is of great importance, symmetry is beauty.

As much as I always thought it was more of a cosmetic thing, it has been very helpful, even saved some people from getting run over.