D'oh!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
D'oh!!

..well things can't rly get much worse. First off, heading towards my g/f's pllace, I'm exiting 290 (York Rd.) @ about 30mph when I feel that I'm going to fast, so I slightly press on my breaks, which was a big mistake.. it locked up all my 4-wheels so now I'm sliding on my side headed towards the medium wall.. so instead of hitting the concrete wall, I try and steer towards the other side of the road, where there is a 4ft. wall of snow, I slam into that and get stuck. After about 15min. of rocking back and forth, I finally get out and get to my g/f place to check out my ride. It looks like I have slight gash marks on the passenger side of my front bumper! ..hopefully it'll buff out.

..then me and my g/f decide to go to her sisters place in her '95 Accord, which is further into downtown Chicago. As we're heading down Sacramento St. she hits a HUGE pothole and bends+blows both her right-side tires+rims. What a night... damn... lols, everyone please be careful when driving.. especially to those living in the midwest with the winter storm advisory!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Last time I went to Chicago the roads were the worst roads I had ever seen. Potholes the size of vans. Good thing you didnt slam into the wall and get hurt
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If hitting your brakes was the wrong thing to do, what would've been the right thing?

Couple days ago I did a 360 spinout when my rear wheels lost traction and I counter-steered but I slammed the brakes which I later learned made the rear wheels lose what traction they had.

Yeah it's rough out here - stay safe people.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned

..there wasn't rly anything I could have done other than hitting on my brakes. I had a *gut* feeling that if I hadn't, I would've slammed into the wall damaging my car more.

Edit* And I'm planning on driving back down to the city either today or tomorrow to take a pic of the pothole for you guys. This thing is absolutely hideous and just ridiculous the city hasn't done anything about it yet.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
There's no Acura in

^ Yeah I know what you mean. They probably won't do anything about it.

Don't forget about:

http://www.dot.state.il.us/claims/claimsinformation.asp
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/pothole....2.649693.html

from fsttyms1's "I hate Illinois" thread.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
That sucks Brian. Like i posted in a different thread your roads are horrible

One question, why did your wheels lock up?? You should have VSA and ABS and it should have worked??
Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
not a good week for you...

sorry to hear.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced

glad you were okay and didnt ram intot he wall
Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at least the TL was saved
Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
That sucks Brian. Like i posted in a different thread your roads are horrible

One question, why did your wheels lock up?? You should have VSA and ABS and it should have worked??
..honestly, I have no idea. It even surprised me when they locked up b/c I was smoking a cigarette and when I started to hydroplane across the snow, I was like "WTFFFFFFFF" and dropped the cigarette on myself trying to correct myself from slamming into the wall. I had accelerated a tad to get outta traffic from 290 and was engine breaking into the exit when I felt that I was going to fast. I guess its rly my fault as the roads were an absolute mess and should've just known better not to accelerate at all. *sigh* ..you live and learn I guess.

Originally Posted by jjashaa
not a good week for you...

sorry to hear.
..yah, def. not a good week. Hahahaha..

Originally Posted by Xquisit'sTLp
glad you were okay and didnt ram intot he wall
..thx! ..haha, yah.. good thing I didn't slam into the wall but still.. ..messing up your ride sucks when its your fault! ..lols

Originally Posted by spoka
at least the TL was saved
..barely saved. Hahaha, I should've just been more careful.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
It you slammed on your brakes and kept your foot down, then ABS would've engaged and could've helped you.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:59 PM
3.2 Type S

at least you didnt hit the wall. you should be happy you dodged that one
Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro

ya man roads wer fcuked this morning
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
they were worse yesterday, driving my 03tl-p and going around a bend on higgins and all of a sudden i had to start counter steering going 20mph.

hopefully it can be buffed out and not painted like your rear bumper and lip. lol any pics of the damage? i have a guy that might have to rims and possibaly tires if u want the, hit me up.

ps. i told u your tires were bald and needed new ones

Last edited by Rajca; 12-24-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
everyone please leave lots of room ahead, and slow down, ease off the gas way early. before the exit
Expect off ramps-overpasses and bridges to contain invisable black ice!!!

the abs cant do much in some conditions- looks like you found one!
Everyone read the chapter on cold weather operation in the owner book~

were you on real snow tire, all season or what?
and the brake parts?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by `ill*tl
..well things can't rly get much worse. First off, heading towards my g/f's pllace, I'm exiting 290 (York Rd.) @ about 30mph when I feel that I'm going to fast, so I slightly press on my breaks, which was a big mistake.. it locked up all my 4-wheels so now I'm sliding on my side headed towards the medium wall.. so instead of hitting the concrete wall, I try and steer towards the other side of the road, where there is a 4ft. wall of snow, I slam into that and get stuck. After about 15min. of rocking back and forth, I finally get out and get to my g/f place to check out my ride. It looks like I have slight gash marks on the passenger side of my front bumper! ..hopefully it'll buff out.

..then me and my g/f decide to go to her sisters place in her '95 Accord, which is further into downtown Chicago. As we're heading down Sacramento St. she hits a HUGE pothole and bends+blows both her right-side tires+rims. What a night... damn... lols, everyone please be careful when driving.. especially to those living in the midwest with the winter storm advisory!
At least you didn't get hurt. Kinda makes you miss Cali huh?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
everyone please leave lots of room ahead, and slow down, ease off the gas way early. before the exit
Expect off ramps-overpasses and bridges to contain invisable black ice!!!

the abs cant do much in some conditions- looks like you found one!
Everyone read the chapter on cold weather operation in the owner book~

were you on real snow tire, all season or what?
and the brake parts?
..haha, Tom hit it spot on. These were one of the times where no matter whether I kept my foot on the brakes or not, I was gonna slide and hit something. And I'm not even sure now whether I "slammed" or "tapped" or "pressed" on the brakes.. it just happened all so fast ..and it pretty much came down to 2 scenarios, hit the wall or hit a pile of snow. I chose the snow..

Nope, on the horrible stock Michelin tires that have 50k+ miles and camber wear like none other. As for brakes, still stock rotors+pads..

Gfaze : Pfffft... yessirrr, def. miss Cali. weather.

Edit* Rajca, lols.. you just said they look flat! ..so I put air in them..hahahaha!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by newperson
If hitting your brakes was the wrong thing to do, what would've been the right thing?

Couple days ago I did a 360 spinout when my rear wheels lost traction and I counter-steered but I slammed the brakes which I later learned made the rear wheels lose what traction they had.
When you lose traction and spin you need to turn into the direction you're spinning and not hit the brakes unless necessary.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
that was the last time u came to my house. we we cleared your lights i told u they look bald, at best the fronts have 3/32's (well on the out side of the tire at least)
Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rajca
that was the last time u came to my house. we we cleared your lights i told u they look bald, at best the fronts have 3/32's (well on the out side of the tire at least)
damn thats horrible...new tires FTW!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

damn dude hopefully u can get that fixed...and i cant beleive ur still ridin that low in this sucky ass weather....
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Good to hear that you and your old lady are safe.