Does the Navi give dumb directions? (a la mapquest)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the Navi give dumb directions? (a la mapquest)

mapquest sometimes gives the most freaking retarded directions, i once followed their directions to this place only to find out i was basically taking the really long route that actually came very close to my destination but went and circled the town and came back again.

most times, it's not that bad, but it still gives retarded directions, like if you go up a 1/4 mile and use the freeway, the trip would be so much shorter in real life, but mapquest apparently calculates based on travel distance, so i've seen routes that follow local streets. and so on and so on...

so guess my surprise when i tried out the navi at the dealer to see what route the navi would suggest to my house, and it gave me this ridiculous set of directions, i know it's ridiculous cuz i know the area very well.

i'm kinda disappointed with the navi, i doubt it will give you the most 'logical, shortest' route, instead it seems to be good only to help you when you're lost and even then you still be getting the 'long' directions...
Old 09-05-2001, 01:19 AM
Drifting

the NAV will give dumb directions and will occasionally make you go in a small circles and things like that...

but remember:

the NAV will ALWAYS get you where you need to go even if it gives "stupid" directions there.

Plus, the NAV isn't really to be used for when you KNOW where you're going... that's not the point of it, it's for when you DON'T know where you're going, duh.

I sometimes don't like the route the NAV takes, but I would NEVER give it up, it has NEVER failed to get me where I needed to go.

I love my NAV
Old 09-05-2001, 01:25 AM
Instructor

well, duh, i know it's not for places where i already know how to get there, but i still find it bothersome that it gives dumb, inefficient, long routes. oh well, i think i'll probably get it anyway. who knows, i might be the first person ever to regret getting the navi...
Old 09-05-2001, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by mgs333
who knows, i might be the first person ever to regret getting the navi...
highly doubtful, the NAV is awesome...

hell, if you regret it, do what lots of other people are doing and hook a DVD player up to it and watch movies (when not driving of course )

mine should be done this week! Woohoo!!!!
Old 09-05-2001, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I don't think you would regret getting it.
In the Nav System owners manual it says.
Although the system will direct you to your desired destination,it may not always do it by what you consider to be the most direct route. I say they got that part correct
We do have the options buttons to push & enter Direct Route this is the most direct & takes least amount of time. Easy Route this minimizes the number of turns needed. Minimize Toll Roads this aviods or minimizes toll roads. The Detour button takes you off your plan route if you encounter heavy traffic cogestion or closed road. This will take you off your planed route for a distance then puts you back on it. We have the Aviod streets button this lets you delete street or streets if you know of road construction in your planed route. The Minimize Freeway button lets you aviod freeways. You can modify your route with some of the function buttons.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Keep in mind the default setting for the NAVI is "Easy Route" That will put you on major highways and more well known roads to get you to your destination. Try "direct route" and see what that does for you.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:55 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what all these people are saying about the nav. FYI, I will never buy another car without a nav.

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2001, 01:58 PM
Drifting

The Navi has certain "global" thresholds set for computing when to cut a corner through a side street, how far you're willing to travel to the nearest highway, etc. and they may not be appropriate for your situation. I've encoutered several times where the Navi will ask me to cut right across a busy street. Well, the street I'm on and the busy cross street look like the same "level" of street to the Navi, so it doesn't know any better.

I've found that "Easy Route" tends to be the most sensible when you're going to an unknown location. It may not be the shortest or fastest possible route, but it does minimize turns, so it's less likely for the Navi to want to wander into residential streets to cut a corner, etc.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Advanced

Yeah, it gives some dumb directions. In general, it does really well, though. The other night, I went out to Perth Amboy (or one of the Amboys, anyway) from Brooklyn. The directions it gave me happened to be identical to those given to me by my friends.

It's not a fool-proof system. It would be nice if it knew that there was an Exit 8 on the Belt Parkway, rather than sending me to either 7S or 9 (you'd figure that on a sequentially-numbered exit road, there should be something between 7 and 9, right???). But, it's pretty damned good.

Of course, there are other reasons to keep it, too... Like, "Holy $hit! You got the navigation system? That's awesome!" Doesn't seem to wear off, either. My friends play with the nav more than I do.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:27 PM
Racer

My friends play with the nav more than I do.
It's so true!!!

Peter