Does anybody have pix of their Valentine One remote display install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 09:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have pix of their Valentine One remote display install?

Also, is there a faq somewhere on hardwiring a V1 in the TL?
Old 06-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Here ya go (BTW, this was an easy job; I did it myself - thanks to Shawn for the origonal post that I copied here):

I have my V1 unit mounted to the left of the rear view mirror.
I believe some people tapped into the power from the mirror circuit, but this is what I did to “hard wire” my V1 with the remote display:

Pull off the A-Pillar trim piece going from the dashboard to the headliner (no fasteners, it just pulls off).

Open the cover to the fuse box on the driver’s side.
Fish the wires from the V1, across the headliner and down the post to the fuse box.

I used some blue poster putty to keep the wire from falling out of its hidden place above the headliner.

Press the A-Pillar trim piece back on being careful not to pinch any wires.

I connected the power to the fuse box (#12 fuse).
It is the circuit for the windshield wipers and it is only “HOT” when the key is “ON”.
Strip the RED V1 power wire about 3/8 of an inch.
Pull the #12 fuse out.
Fan the wire out a bit so it is kind of flat.
Insert the bare wire into one side of the fuse socket (doesn’t matter which side).
Be careful that there are no loose strands of wire sticking out anywhere.
Replace the fuse; it will hold the wire securely in place.
Connect the ground wire to the screw terminal on top of the fuse box opening. (See photo)
If you have the remote display like I do, it is only slightly more difficult.
The power connections are the same, but instead of power directly to the V1 there is a small junction box that distributes power to both pieces.
They are all plug-in phone type connectors and no cutting/splicing is required.
If you mount the remote display on the column where I have mine, be sure to use “zip-ties” to keep the wires away from any parts that move when you turn the wheel.
Your V1 unit should now turn ON/OFF with the ignition whenever you start or stop the car.
I hope this helps you out.
Shawn S.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Arrow

Oblio98 should be able to post pics of his V1 install. I know he has one, just dont know where the pics are of it so I can't post it. My friend did it in his TL the same way as described above, but I suggest not putting the detector too far up in the winshield. It works BEST when it's in the middle of the window.
Old 06-30-2001, 11:01 PM
Drifting

During the KC TL meet, I saw that Kensteele has a killer V-1 install in his CL. All his wiring were hidden in the roof liner, and he mounted the remote underneath the "not an" ashtray.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Arrow here's the FAQ from the cl fourm

and here is the how to page

http://www.acura-cl.com/garage/v1_install.html
Old 07-01-2001, 02:54 PM
Drifting

The instructions are great except for one thing: it does matter which side of the fuse you use to draw power for your V-1. Always choose the side that is protected by the fuse. Doing otherwise will pose a fire risk in the unlikely case that your V-1 power supply wire shorts to ground.

To find out which side is protected, remove the fuse after you pinch the wire into the fuse socket, and turn on your power. The V-1 should not come on. If it does, you used the wrong terminal. Pull out the wire and insert it into the other terminal.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daverman
The instructions are great except for one thing: it does matter which side of the fuse you use to draw power for your V-1. Always choose the side that is protected by the fuse. Doing otherwise will pose a fire risk in the unlikely case that your V-1 power supply wire shorts to ground.

very true. but i think it would be wiser to use the NON fused side, and add your own in line fuse. that way theres no way youll overload the factory fuse.
Old 07-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by mr tl

very true. but i think it would be wiser to use the NON fused side, and add your own in line fuse. that way theres no way youll overload the factory fuse.
Good idea! Also, make sure that you place your in-line fuse in an easily accessible area (i.e. don't make it so that you have to pop open your A-pillar to replace a burnt fuse).