Do Comptech headers "loosen"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 08:41 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Question Do Comptech headers "loosen"

I took a co-worker for a ride at lunch today, and he thought my car was pretty quick. I said "Wait until I get my headers"!

He went into a rant about how headers are a pain in the butt, how they loosen up off of the block, and they get so hot they cause problems.

Has anyone had these problems?

His experience is with American cars, so that may explain it....

:-jon
Old 07-16-2001, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some do and some don't (at least that is what I've heard from some of the posts).

As far as mine go -- the dealer tightened the $hit out of my header nuts (it looks like the got sloppy with too much torque). However, mine has not come loose...

Probably depends on who puts them on.

The headers on my Bimmer need a torque session all the time...
Old 07-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
They shouldnt need to be retightened routinely. After the initial install they may need to be tightened a little more one time only if there is any perceptible exhaust leak, but otherwise they dont need any routine maintenance.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, most header's at least with my experience's with domestic v-8 headers may leak. The constant heat cycle it goes through must help loosen up over time. Does anybody know what size bolts are used for the TL-S. Because there is a company that makes locking header bolts ( http://www.stage8.com/ ). It uses a locking retainer that's held with a E-clip. I use them on my Mustang and I've been trouble free. Just install them as regular header bolts without the lock's, go through a few heat cycles, re-torque and then put the locks on. I wonder if they make one that suits our appication. Never thought about it with the TL-S though, and I plan on getting headers too (one day). Very good question though.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:10 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
There are two issues to consider:

1) Loosening at the flange caused by flange warpage - the combination of thickness and stainless steel argue against much thermal deformation of the flange.

2) Loosening of the mechanicals (header nuts). These nuts are self-locking. My advice is to ensure they are not re-used when your headers are installed. It would be worth the hassle and expense to order new ones if you are going to have this done at an installer other than Acura or Honda shop. If A or H shop, specify you want new nuts used.

I had my headers on for a year, and they have not losened at all.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Road Rage

I had my headers on for a year, and they have not losened at all.

I assume you're talking about another car? How have you had headers on for a year on a 2002 TL-S?

When I got my headers, I couldn't really tell a difference. Everyone said it was because they weren't tightened properly and I had an exhast leak. After a few months, I took it back and had them re-torqued. The dealer said the rear were a little loose. But I still can't feel much of a difference with the headers (at least not $1200 worth of difference ). Even with headers and intake I can BARELY pull on a stock CL-S so my headers are either constantly loose or my car is just slow
Old 07-18-2001, 04:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
The year was on my previous TL, a 2000
Old 07-18-2001, 04:44 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I have been trying to make a decison on headers since I got my TL-S three weeks ago. To date I have not seen much that confirms that headers are worth the $1200 investment. I think GoldTypeS sums up my concern, not much difference in performance. Everything that I read says no increase in hp until 5000 to 7000 RPM.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dj5
I have been trying to make a decison on headers since I got my TL-S three weeks ago. To date I have not seen much that confirms that headers are worth the $1200 investment. I think GoldTypeS sums up my concern, not much difference in performance. Everything that I read says no increase in hp until 5000 to 7000 RPM.
There is a substantial difference from 5000- to 7000- rpm. If you don't go there much, you probably would only benefit from a bit more fuel economy.

I got more juice from the lighter wheels over the entire power band than I did from the headers and CAI.

However, before you say, "well I'll just get wheels that are 50 lbs lighter than stock", you should consider that some times people get different results, and I AM VERY PLEASED with the acceleration due to the light wheels, sticky rubber, and headers and sways. The car accelerates so much faster than before the headers and CAI, that I need to shift at 6900 RPM to keep from hitting the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Finally back to the main topic -- tightening. I just gave mine a self re-torque and they are on solidly. The few people that have had minor leaks over on the CLS, just had a single retorque -- they are all set!
Old 07-19-2001, 07:06 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Smile

I heard from "WayneG", the service manager at Park Ave Acura. He wrote:

Jon- we have not had any instances of the header bolts loosening. We torque them properly, run till hot, let cool and torque again and all is well. Shouldn't be a problem.

Wayne

That's good enough for me.

:-jon