DIY Oil Change???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Oil Change???

Going to change my oil myself for the first time this weekend, and want to make sure I don't F'it up, but I can't seem to find a DIY change on here? anyone have the link, and can you lay out everything I will need, so I don't forget anything. thanks fellas
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00..
2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process.
Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992) in the left boob.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total-- $4165.00

Oil Change Instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

http://dalesdesigns.net/oilchange.html
Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Racer

youtube
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont think i have seen a DIY for the oil yet. Its not hard at all. Drain pan under car remove drain bolt (17mm) while oil is draining clean drain bolt and put on new crush washer. Once oil has come to a drip slide the pan under both the filter and under the drain bolt (turn wheels to the right and go in from passenger side wheel well) and remove filter. Make sure that the rubber gasket comes off with the filter. Screw on filter till it is just tight and give it 1/2 turn. the filter doesnt need to be wrenched on tight. Put in drain bolt and torque nothing higher than i believe it is 18-25 ftlbs fill motor with oil.
The following users liked this post:
stickwithjoe (03-05-2013)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
S E L L

That's pretty much all there is to it.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00..
10) Unscrew drain plug.
Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
33) Begin cussing fit.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992) in the left boob.
36) Beer.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
41) Beer.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
48) Car gets impounded.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total-- $4165.00

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

http://dalesdesigns.net/oilchange.html
Classic!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Instructor

i actually changed the oil yesterday. use the 17 mm for the oil pan. oil filter is right next to the oil pan. make sure to use jackstands. took me half an hour. advance had a special on oil. 16.99 for 5 quarts including the oil filter. def saved myself some money
Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
auto parts stores often have a package deal `diy kit`- new filter-oil-catch pan-rags- hand cleaner in a kit, regular-semi or full synthetic oil choice-

the TL doesnt care synth or not- just 5w-30 rating is all thats important- as long as name brand oil

car ramps- 30 bucks or less are a good tool to have,
have trusted friend tell you as you approach the top and are on the flat parking section of it,,a few times and you can do it alone

torque on the drain plug is 29 foot pounds
and will probably be too tight if a shop did it last time
a good tug on the `box end`closed round end type 17 mm wrench and a few taps of the hammer to the edge of wrench at far end and its pretty close there
quick lube shops have a much longer wrench and the room to pull on it .. generating way too much force, can strip the threads right out of the oil pan!!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
This video will help you
Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put in synthetic last week and it felt like the car was more sluggish. Switching back to conventional.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dudeinaTL
I put in synthetic last week and it felt like the car was more sluggish. Switching back to conventional.
Synthetic isnt the cause unless you used the wrong weight. Dont waste your money switching back.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

sluggish???--does anyone want to guess my opinion of what to do first?
a view of the ocean waves perhaps????

if you put 90 weight in it instead of 5-30 I could imagine a problem~

how old are your spark plugs?
how is the air filter
Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
sluggish???--does anyone want to guess my opinion of what to do first?
a view of the ocean waves perhaps????

if you put 90 weight in it instead of 5-30 I could imagine a problem~

how old are your spark plugs?
how is the air filter
Its not the oil.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Team Owner

we forgot the most difficult part of the DIY!

when complete- sit in driver seat- put key in ignition
stick left arm IN thru steering wheel
push and hold in the 2 trip/reset buttons
With right hand turn key to ON- not start- just so all the dash indicators come on-
the mait required light will flash several times then stop
turn key off and take arm out of steering

Place left foot in and shake it all about- do the hookie pokie and you .....

you have reset the oil reminder system for another 7500- it will start blinking at startup around 6000-6500 to prepare you
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
we forgot the most difficult part of the DIY!

when complete- sit in driver seat- put key in ignition
stick left arm IN thru steering wheel
push and hold in the 2 trip/reset buttons
With right hand turn key to ON- not start- just so all the dash indicators come on-
the mait required light will flash several times then stop
turn key off and take arm out of steering

Place left foot in and shake it all about- do the hookie pokie and you .....

you have reset the oil reminder system for another 7500- it will start blinking at startup around 6000-6500 to prepare you
Yes!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Racer

01tl4tl & fsttyms1, I would agree with both of you that it's not the oil, if I were the one reading this on the forum.

But all I can say is that pre-oil change & post-oil change were these observations made. The oil was the only variable. 5w-20 was used, as recommended, but throwing 30 in shouldn't matter that much.

Don't get me wrong, sluggish may have been too harsh a word to use. Dampened may be a better word - it just feels a lot different.

Don't want to detract from the original thread's purpose, but OP, if you follow fsttyms1's post & 01tl4tl's reset instructions, you'll be fine.

Only thing I'd throw in is to jack up the car on that side & put a stand under (turn wheels all the way to the right before jacking up!). And if you need more space / visuals, just take off the wheel. Alternatively, use ramps. Bolt might be on there tight as well, so don't be afraid to throw some torque at it (but use a six-point socket if you use a socket). The oil filter you should be able to just screw off with your (clean) hands, but they do sell oil filter wrenches.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
i just did my oil change today and used castrol gtx conventional motor oil 5w-30. a noticeable gain in power too after i seafoamed the engine with the old motor oil.

i used a 1/2 ratchet with 17mm socket, it was tight at first because a shop did it for me previously but i used a breaker bar to break it loose and then hand tighten the bolt after the drain of the old oil. i also got a fram tough guard oil filter and hand tighten that also.

easy job, i did it at my college auto shop using the lifts but soon found out after doing it myself its much easier to access everything too at my house. there is really no need for jacks or a floor jack. it will help to have those but its pretty easy to get under the car if your skinny like me

next up is the transmission fluid. i have been really keeping a look at the fluid and the changes/mileage. i will do that this wednesday
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
S E L L

Originally Posted by xlost4
i just did my oil change today and used castrol gtx conventional motor oil 5w-30. a noticeable gain in power too after i seafoamed the engine with the old motor oil.

i used a 1/2 ratchet with 17mm socket, it was tight at first because a shop did it for me previously but i used a breaker bar to break it loose and then hand tighten the bolt after the drain of the old oil. i also got a fram tough guard oil filter and hand tighten that also.

easy job, i did it at my college auto shop using the lifts but soon found out after doing it myself its much easier to access everything too at my house. there is really no need for jacks or a floor jack. it will help to have those but its pretty easy to get under the car if your skinny like me

next up is the transmission fluid. i have been really keeping a look at the fluid and the changes/mileage. i will do that this wednesday
:shakehead Umm, yeah no way I'll fit under the car.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

:shakehead Umm, yeah no way I'll fit under the car.
If the car is stock height it can be done easily without lifting the car. I used to do it that way all the time.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by xlost4

Please tell me the drain bolt is more than hand tight?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Racer

I'm with Gfaze. My TL is stock ride height. You must have long arms & are reaching or something.

Regarding the tranny - that's much easier. No need to lift and no need to find the right socket! Bolt faces outward and easily accepts the protruding square of a 3/8" ratchet.

Last edited by dudeinaTL; 05-04-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont think i have seen a DIY for the oil yet. Its not hard at all. Drain pan under car remove drain bolt (17mm) while oil is draining clean drain bolt and put on new crush washer. Once oil has come to a drip slide the pan under both the filter and under the drain bolt (turn wheels to the right and go in from passenger side wheel well) and remove filter. Make sure that the rubber gasket comes off with the filter. Screw on filter till it is just tight and give it 1/2 turn. the filter doesnt need to be wrenched on tight. Put in drain bolt and torque nothing higher than i believe it is 18-25 ftlbs fill motor with oil.
Do you have to put on a new washer for the drain bolt everytime you change the oil?? I've never done my own oil change, but I plan to on my next oil change, probably in a 1000 or so miles. Also do you guys buy the stock filter from acura or just buy another one at the local autoparts store??
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Racer

You don't have to put on a new washer, but it's not a bad idea if you feel like taking the time to go & buy some. They're cheap. If you do reuse the old washer, just don't torque the heck out of the drain bolt.

Filter - I just use a Mobil M1-104. No real reason why I choose it over an OEM, just user preference.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
You don't have to put on a new washer, but it's not a bad idea if you feel like taking the time to go & buy some. They're cheap. If you do reuse the old washer, just don't torque the heck out of the drain bolt.

Filter - I just use a Mobil M1-104. No real reason why I choose it over an OEM, just user preference.
Thanks
I think I can handle the rest, hopefully the drain bolt is not on to tight that I cant get it out, I wont be lifting the car since I dont have jackstands, but I think I should be able to get under there quite well. Just hope I will be able to position myself to get that thing loose
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

a hammer against the wrench is a cheap breaker bar to get it loose

12 point sockets are not made for 6 point bolt heads!!- they are aircraft bolts normally and have special sockets

Correct plug torque (both trans and oil) is 29 foot pounds- thats a good tug and a whack with hammer against wrench to secure (or remove)

Over-tight ruins drain plug `crush` washer the dealer uses, so go ahead and replace as you dont know its life history
1 dollar well spent against total loss of fluid!!

acura doesnt buy the best filter- but the cheapest they can buy 10 million of !!
m1 and k&n are well liked and well built filters, wix/napa good stuff too
bobtheoil guy and others have cut filters open to evaluate- do internet search

to spend 25-30 on synth oil, 12 bucks on a good filter and not a dollar on a crush washer??? thats crazy talk!! in my opine
Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Do you have to put on a new washer for the drain bolt everytime you change the oil?? I've never done my own oil change, but I plan to on my next oil change, probably in a 1000 or so miles. Also do you guys buy the stock filter from acura or just buy another one at the local autoparts store??
I have never replaced the crush washer, bit i also never over torqued the bolt. I have never had a leak, but like stated before a package of them is cheap.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm with Gfaze. My TL is stock ride height. You must have long arms & are reaching or something.

Regarding the tranny - that's much easier. No need to lift and no need to find the right socket! Bolt faces outward and easily accepts the protruding square of a 3/8" ratchet.
I do, but my buddy thats 5'5" has done it for me as well that way. Turn the wheel, lay on your side, reach under with the wrench and loosen it. Slide the oil pan under the car and reach the plug and remove it.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
2000 TL Black on Beige

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Yep, you can't be too careful. My order today included a new plug and six crush washers.

90009-PY3-000 BOLT, DRAIN PLUG (14MM) 1 $3.94 $3.94
94109-14000 WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (14MM) 6 $0.24 $1.44
Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

good idea to replace the drain bolt assuming it has been overtorqued and thread damage is likely

make sure the old washer comes off (used drain plug)
and the old oil filters rubber seal goes with the filter- not stay behind on the engine flange--they like to do that on DIY..... and put 5 qts of fresh oil on the garage floor
Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

10) Unscrew drain plug.
Cuss.
27) Drink beer.
30) Drink beer.
33) Begin cussing fit.
36) Beer.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
41) Beer.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
48) Car gets impounded.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total-- $4165.00

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

Oil Change Instructions - It's easy and inexpensive to do your own oil change, and we will show you how with easy instructions and step by step photos.
Bahahahahhahaha, this right here is pure gold🤣🤣
Old 07-26-2020, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
>1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00..
>2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.

You can buy oil at Walmart for $30, and use remaining $20 for a beer.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
>1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00..
>2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.

You can buy oil at Walmart for $30, and use remaining $20 for a beer.
Bahahahha, that is true...well played lol