Discarding Tl for 540i

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 07:01 PM

Post Discarding Tl for 540i

Hey guys, the major changes are coming into my garage. I finally got sick of all of those little noises, rattles, misaligned door panels, and lousy assembly quality of my 2000TL. This was my first Acura and it will be definitely the last one, moreover this sucker will be traded in this coming Saturday for midnight blue 6 speed 540i. I already made an appointment at Peter Pan BMW of San Mateo and will take it there without any regrets and doubts. The F**** sun roof made the final decision, indeed the damn thing rattles like a windmill and makes sounds that even I can’t tolerate. The time has come to say my TL good buy, and trade it in while it still has some value. The pictures will follow……

------------------
My other toys:
1999 Isuzu Trooper
1996 Eclipse GS-T
Asian Girlfriend :-)
Old 01-23-2001, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good choice. I like my TL, but if I had the money and would trade it in for a BMW as well. I'm only 22 so I wouldn't go with the 540, maybe a 330xi or an M3, but I still think its a great car.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill,
Looking for 18s, Scratch that
I'm getting a TL-S
Old 01-23-2001, 07:29 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No comment!

I just bought my wife a 540iA and I love the car. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience with the TL as I love my car as well, but you can't go wrong with the 540i. You'll like the car a lot more than the TL, but again, totally a different animal.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:32 PM
tea elle

I have one thing to say about BMW. Very expensive for what it is, and likely to need more upkeep than you realize.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:33 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by 3EKA:
Hey guys, the major changes are coming into my garage. I finally got sick of all of those little noises, rattles, misaligned door panels, and lousy assembly quality of my 2000TL. This was my first Acura and it will be definitely the last one, moreover this sucker will be traded in this coming Saturday for midnight blue 6 speed 540i. I already made an appointment at Peter Pan BMW of San Mateo and will take it there without any regrets and doubts. The F**** sun roof made the final decision, indeed the damn thing rattles like a windmill and makes sounds that even I can’t tolerate. The time has come to say my TL good buy, and trade it in while it still has some value. The pictures will follow……

Dude, nothing against you but could you plese take off the "Asian Girlfriend" in your signature. I think that's kind of racist. Is "asian" some kind of toy to you?
Old 01-23-2001, 07:36 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by AcuraTL:
Dude, nothing against you but could you plese take off the "Asian Girlfriend" in your signature. I think that's kind of racist. Is "asian" some kind of toy to you?

I didn't notice that either. A lot of people will take it offensive as many members are Asian, like myself.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:47 PM

Yo, did not mean to offense anybody, therefore I’ve changed my signature, no hard feelings.

------------------
My other toys:
1999 Isuzu Trooper
1996 Eclipse GS-T
Old 01-23-2001, 07:55 PM
Advanced

3EKA, just wondering, are you russian?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by -Future- on January 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-23-2001, 07:58 PM
AC
Drifting

Thumbs up

None what so ever, just wanted you to be aware that a lot of members are Asian and you probably would have gotten reemed by a lot of them, but you stepped up and avoided confrontation by removing your sig.

It's all good! We all family here!
Old 01-23-2001, 10:12 PM

I love bimmers, and wanted to get a 330Ci, went to a couple dealers they treated me like sh!t because of my age (17). They wanted me to buy the car before a test drive. Also if i wanted to get some of the options i have on the TL on the 330Ci, the bimmer would have come over 46K with tax/lic, which i think is a bit high for a 3 series, so i just went for my 31K TL which hopefuly i will pass on to my mom or something, in a couple years and move on to Bimmers.

So.. the point i'm trying to make is that, BMW has inexpensive car, with NO options.

(Come on, its the year 2001 how can you not have a CD player in your car?)

(I love the 330Cic more than any other BMW, except for the Z8 and M5)
Old 01-23-2001, 10:16 PM

540 is an awsome car, great choice, i hope you enjoy it..

(I considered the 530 for myself, but i saw that i could not live with out some of the options, <small>premium sport suspension</small>, which woud just put me back in the 540 category. And the 540 is just too much car for me, at 17..)
Old 01-23-2001, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Oh yeah, did I forget to tell you that my parents' very well maintained 740il's Radiator cracked out of nowhere with 50,000 miles? or about the electronics that failed on us a number of times? How about the squeaking suspension and the sunroof rattling...Or the sunroof shade that slid off it's track so far back that I had to remove the sunroof glass to pull it out and fix it...I can go on you know.. I certainly don't think my dad's planning on another BMW product any time soon.. Oh yeah, make sure to replace your bulbs with original BMW bulbs, put anything else, and they'll be blowing out every week!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 01-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Racer

Wink

......sorry to hear that you had to say good bye to your ACURA man, thas too bad , she rattled so bad......but you are making a good choice, i am also 22, and would have rathered the sweeeeeeeet 740i sport, but ahhh a six speed, (point taken)........but OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....i hope you have a good inital relationship with your service manager, it is likely NOT to stay that way, .............i used to work at a BMW dealership while in highschool, i remember that being a not soooooooooo happy place around 5:30-6:00 on any given weekday... "ULTIMATE SERVICE BILL", i remember this one guy screaming, while commenting out the dealer rather loudly before getting into his 5 series........but good luck anyway, try and b nice on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

BMW's and acuras and for different people in my opinion. I got the 330ci not cause its a better car, its just I loved the styling and it gives off a different vibe than a acura would. But i would never say BMW's are better than acura cause you can't beat acura for bang for the buck. If acura was selling the TL for 45g's I guarantee it'd be phenominal and maybe better than bimmers

------------------
'99 Acura 3.2TL Satin Silver
Old 01-23-2001, 10:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
Oh yeah, did I forget to tell you that my parents' very well maintained 740il's Radiator cracked out of nowhere with 50,000 miles? or about the electronics that failed on us a number of times? How about the squeaking suspension and the sunroof rattling...Or the sunroof shade that slid off it's track so far back that I had to remove the sunroof glass to pull it out and fix it...I can go on you know.. I certainly don't think my dad's planning on another BMW product any time soon.. Oh yeah, make sure to replace your bulbs with original BMW bulbs, put anything else, and they'll be blowing out every week!
Ed

yeah BMW over loads their cars with too much tochnological wizardry that is often too much for the cars, i too have heard a many 7 series quality issues and nightmares........sunshade makes me laugh, i seen that in pereson happen

Old 01-23-2001, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I can understand the reason why you HATE your Acura so much! I have some serious problem with the Acura as well. I have trouble with the Engine computer, seat cranking noise (both the driver's and the rear bench). Worst of all is the really F up dealers and service dept.

But hey for the price I paid, it's still a pretty good value. Consider that it is way cheaper than the Lexus and Bimmer.

Oh, don't expect too much from the BMW. It sure will be a lot fast, handles way better than the TL, and more fun to drive of course. But hope you don't get a lemon, or that's really gonna pissed you off and kill you. BMW is so much better in terms of reliability...

Anyways, good luck and honestly that I hope you will enjoy your car... Which I am sure that you will...
Old 01-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro

Wow, sorry to hear about your lemon of a TL. It must have been very bad luck. While I was researching my purchase of my 2000 TL I came across a JD Powers initial quality survey that put the TL tied in #3 spot with ES300 with 84 defects, and the Bimmer 5 series way down in #15 spot with 105 defects. The industry average was 154 problems. So statistically speaking you must have been very unluck with your TL. Neverless with better luck the Bimmer 540 should still fare better than average car out there. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2001, 08:28 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

3EKA... I'm so f*****g jealous man... I'd give up the TL for a 540 in a second, my wife won't let me ,... congrats and enjoy the ULTIMATE experience...

P.S. I liked your signature the way it was...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by behnam:
I love bimmers, and wanted to get a 330Ci, went to a couple dealers they treated me like sh!t because of my age (17). They wanted me to buy the car before a test drive
bad luck... I'm 16 and I got a test drive, and they were very nice.
nice choice! it's a great car. Enjoy

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
I DON'T HAVE A LIFE
Old 01-24-2001, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

All you guys kill me with your Bimmer envy. The TL and 540 are very different cars in class, performance and above all, VALUE. Me thinks that most of us bought the TL for its incredible value; not as a stepping stone to a M3, 5 or 7 Series. Nonetheless, sorry to hear about your bad experience with your TL. Keep in touch 3EKA and post some pics of your new baby!