Directional stalk squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002 | 04:31 PM
Banned

Directional stalk squeaking

I've yet to see this particular squeak listed in the forum. My turn signal stalk squeaks whenever I move it in any direction. Every time I go to change lanes or switch on the high-beams I get this "eeek" beforehand. It's definitely temperature dependant (as most squeaks tend to be) because it usually goes away once the cabin warms up (BTW, it's been mid 30s during the day, low 20s during the night here lately). I'm guessing the cure-all WD-40 will stop this but I don't want to just go wildly spraying in the steering column because of all the electronics. Anyone seen or heard of a solution to this?
Old 01-16-2002 | 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

try pushing the rubber grommet for the turn signal in a little. i had that problem a few years ago
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, I've had the exact problem you described since I bought mine in July 2001 but didn't think it was worth mentioning. The dealer sorta fixed it--now it just squeeks once in a while when flicking the turn signal stalk downwards (to signal a left turn). Of course when I brought it back to the dealer to address it, it didn't squeak at all.

I'll have to try out Mr. TL's suggestion to see if that does the trick. Otherwise, I can live with it until the next time I can get it to squeak in front of the service advisor.

Tony
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:35 PM
Pro

Ive noticed this same problem, exactly. It happens in the morning on the way to work. The temp over here in the morning has been in the low to mid 50's. It squeeks when using the turn signal. Dont know how to get rid of it. Its not that bad, when i flick the turn signal a little slowly, it doesnt happen.
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mr tl
try pushing the rubber grommet for the turn signal in a little. i had that problem a few years ago
Tried this. The rubber grommet is firmly planted against the base of the stalk--I cannot push it in any further and it still squeaks. I may have to pull off the top of the steering column cover and see if I can see the actual pivot joint and get some lube in there.

tdoh--Mine started with the left turn (stalk down) too. But now it'll do it in any direction--up down or back.
Old 01-25-2002 | 10:55 AM
Banned

Squeak *SOLVED*. Well at least for the time being. It was driving me nuts so I checked it out closer. Mr. TL was partially right, the source of the squeak is the rubber boot at the end of the stalk, not the pivot point as I expected. He suggested making sure the boot was pushed down all the way to the end of the stock. If yours is squeaking, this is definitely the first thing to check. Mine was already all the way down so this did not help my situation.

The squeak comes from the rubber boot rubbing on the inside of the plastic cover for the steering column. I checked mine out and my cover (both upper and lower) is 'shifted' to the left slightly. What I mean by that is if you look at the cover from any angle it looks fine, but if you look at the wiper stalk on the right and look at the gap between its rubber boot and the steering column cover and then compare that to the gap with the light stalk on the left, there may be a difference (as there was on mine). I've got about a 1/4" gap on the wiper side but no gap at all on the light side. So the light stalk boot rubs whenever I move the stalk. I tried shifting the cover left but it wouldn't move. I suspect this is an assembly quality control issue similar to how some people have the gap on one side of their steering wheel airbag cover (got that too). This explains why not everyone has the squeak--if your cover is aligned correctly you won't get it because the boot won't touch the cover.

To stop the squeak, I took off the top of the steering wheel cover. It just unsnaps from the lower half with four clips--no tools needed. I then took a paper towel and sprayed some white lithium grease on it, and then carefully coated the entire flat portion of the boot with it. When you spread it on, it will spread clear so you don't see it, plus the rubber absorbs it some. Two quick coats, then reinstalled the cover. The squeak is gone completely!! I did it last night and this morning it was very cold and still no squeak. I'll have to see about the long-term durability of the grease--it may evaporate or wear off. In hindsite, if I could get my hands on it I would have got some of that teflon tape that Acura uses for the moonroof squeak and put it along the inside of the steering wheel cover where the boot rubs. That would probably last longer.

Took all of 10 minutes start to finish (could probably do it in 5) and so far so good.