Difference Between Cross Drilled and Slotted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Difference Between Cross Drilled and Slotted?

They're both the same price, which one is better?
Old 07-28-2001, 01:12 PM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Difference Between Cross Drilled and Slotted?

Originally posted by bioyuki
They're both the same price, which one is better?
there's several opinions on this, i dont think there is one true answer. cross-drilled are supposed to have much better initial bite and are for street oriented driving, where as slotted are supposed to cool better over long braking periods and are more track oriented. people also say that cross-drilled rotors have a higher risk of cracking under stress, however, based on what i've seen, most cars on the track use cross-drilled. also, porsche's and s-class MB come with cross-drilled rotors, so i dunno. i've used cross-drilled rotors on several of my cars, and still have them on my 00TL and the difference is really amazing. really great braking.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Difference Between Cross Drilled and Slotted?

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

there's several opinions on this, i dont think there is one true answer. cross-drilled are supposed to have much better initial bite and are for street oriented driving, where as slotted are supposed to cool better over long braking periods and are more track oriented. people also say that cross-drilled rotors have a higher risk of cracking under stress, however, based on what i've seen, most cars on the track use cross-drilled. also, porsche's and s-class MB come with cross-drilled rotors, so i dunno. i've used cross-drilled rotors on several of my cars, and still have them on my 00TL and the difference is really amazing. really great braking.
I think the cross drill is suppose to cool better.

The slotted brakes are suppose to sweep and clean the brake pads while braking, making the brake pad clean when braking.

for myself, I think the slot is good if you brake on high way/down hill. Slotted is great for long period braking.

you might want cross drill if you live in a city with lots of light braking.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:10 PM
Advanced

from what I've heard cross drilled and slotted rotors are best left for the track.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe I'm old fashioned?
But, I suggest sticking with solid rotors. More surface area,
less likely to warp or crack, cost less and work the same.
I feel that slotted or drilled on anything short of a full time race
car is just an aesthetic mod.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:23 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Difference Between Cross Drilled and Slotted?

people also say that cross-drilled rotors have a higher risk of cracking under stress, however, based on what i've seen, most cars on the track use cross-drilled. also, porsche's and s-class MB come with cross-drilled rotors, so i dunno.
My coworker just came back from a weekend of track racing in Thunderhill raceway and told me that there was one porsche out there that with one run was able to produce small cracks from where the cross drilled holes came from. If I had the choice, Id go for slotted, just because I do a crap load of freeway driving. There are rotors I saw being sold in RAZO that had both crossdrilled and slotted holes in em.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:46 PM
Retired MOD

This again.......I'm not getting involve on this one.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:01 PM
Instructor

I had the Brembo Cross Drilled, and I didn't have any problems with them. Then again they were on my Civic. (Not really a speed monster) When I was looking to upgrade my breaks on my RX7, I was advised to use slotted because of the cracking possibilities. Better save than sorry in my book. I guess it just depends on you, and what you want. I don't think in our case it will make much difference. Hell get the slotted/drilled. They look cool. Then you could have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:10 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by RX-72ATL-S
I had the Brembo Cross Drilled, and I didn't have any problems with them. Then again they were on my Civic. (Not really a speed monster) When I was looking to upgrade my breaks on my RX7, I was advised to use slotted because of the cracking possibilities. Better save than sorry in my book. I guess it just depends on you, and what you want. I don't think in our case it will make much difference. Hell get the slotted/drilled. They look cool. Then you could have the best of both worlds.
i never had slotted, so i cant speak for that, but with cross-drilled the braking power is much much better. especially with spirited driving when u brake and gas a lot. i do not feel comfortable doing the same with just solid stock rotors. as far as both cross-drilled/slotted rotors, i think that unless u go up in rotor size, u'll be loosing too much surface area, so what u gain in cooling and bite, u lose in physical stopping power.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:18 PM
Instructor

i never had slotted, so i cant speak for that, but with cross-drilled the braking power is much much better. especially with spirited driving when u brake and gas a lot. i do not feel comfortable doing the same with just solid stock rotors. as far as both cross-drilled/slotted rotors, i think that unless u go up in rotor size, u'll be loosing too much surface area, so what u gain in cooling and bite, u lose in physical stopping power.

I agree with ya... My cross drilled were like night and day compare to the factory rotors. I was just adding what I had heard about the slotted.

Although, I'm interested in knowing how much more surface area does drilled have over slotted, because there are alot more holes than there are slots. Ya know. Does anyone know?