Defective Ballast from HIDExtra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Defective Ballast from HIDExtra?

Alright, so I made progress on the HID installation in my TL. Woo hoo! We wired them up accordingly, and plugged them up while the front bumper and everything was still disassembled.

Upon testing, the passenger side headlight wasn't working. Strange. The driver side works perfectly well. We took the passenger assembly and hooked it to the driver side main power -- no luck. However, the driver side assembly plugged into the passenger side main power -- perfectly fine.

We triple check all of the connections on the passenger assembly, ballast, etc. Blinker, hi-beam both work. Took the ballast off and wired the ballast 12V lead into a halogen bulb -- it works. So the voltage is there. Couldn't be the wire, could it?

I'm thinking that the ballast (brand new, received one week ago) is defective. We put the D2R bulb from the passenger into the driver side -- it works. So the bulbs are fine.

If the ballast is bad, can I return just one ballast for warranty replacement to HIDExtra? Anyone ever had one good, one bad upon receiving them?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Thumbs down HID Extra problem

Originally Posted by binary_10essee
Alright, so I made progress on the HID installation in my TL. Woo hoo!

Upon testing, the passenger side headlight wasn't working. Strange. The driver side works perfectly well. We took the passenger assembly and hooked it to the driver side main power -- no luck. However, the driver side assembly plugged into the passenger side main power -- perfectly fine.

I'm thinking that the ballast (brand new, received one week ago) is defective. We put the D2R bulb from the passenger into the driver side -- it works. So the bulbs are fine.

If the ballast is bad, can I return just one ballast for warranty replacement to HIDExtra?
Yeah, it appears as though ya got a lemon. If by switching sides as ya done, it's apparently a bad component. Just call HID Extra and you'll have parts in a day or so. Bummer man !!!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Yeah, it appears as though ya got a lemon. If by switching sides as ya done, it's apparently a bad component. Just call HID Extra and you'll have parts in a day or so. Bummer man !!!
Cool. Thanks! Yeah, bummer, but it happens. I'm not holding it against 'em. Haha. Once the new parts come in I'll install it. Should be in good shape at that point!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
they have a no hassle warranty, call them and a new ballast will be in the mail immediately
no exchange-inspection etc bs,,just Im sorry you had a problem Sir!

the occasional bad part is going to happen

Do tell them what you found in testing
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
they have a no hassle warranty, call them and a new ballast will be in the mail immediately
no exchange-inspection etc bs,,just Im sorry you had a problem Sir!

the occasional bad part is going to happen

Do tell them what you found in testing
Nice! That sounds wonderful! Yeah, it sucks to have those problems, but in the past I've worked in many manufacturing/warehouse environments -- it definitely happens! Haha. I will definitely let them know what we found in testing -- I'll be calling them when they open today (9am PST / 11am CST).