Dealer tried to scam me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer tried to scam me!!!

I'm so pissed!!! This is also a follow up on my 30k service thread.
Yesterday I took my car into Park Ave Acura to get my coilovers installed, as he took the wheel to get started he inspected the rear brakes and the service tech called me and said my rear brakes were shot and I needed new brakes! CRAP!! I took my car to my tired guy today because I had a nail in one of my summer tires, so while I was there I asked him to inspect my rear brakes. 2 guys looked at both front and back and they came in and said...your brakes are fine, you have more then half of the pads left!!!! WTF?? Why the hell did the dealer tell me I needed new brakes then?? I called and complained, I have to call them back later today to find out what the deal is. I'm getting a second opinion on everything now. Just wanted to warn you guys.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:49 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still say that some mechanics (dealer or otherwise) have an unwritten rule that nobody gets out of there without spending $600, even if they don't need the work done.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tom Blasing
I still say that some mechanics (dealer or otherwise) have an unwritten rule that nobody gets out of there without spending $600, even if they don't need the work done.
I bet there is some truth to this. Or so it seems...
Old 03-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*Most* dealers are shady...
Old 03-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Advanced

this is becuase most service writers are commission based...need i say more?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:08 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

you have the right to take the defective part if they replace it, if it is a warranty issue the dealership often has to return the defective part to the manufaturer to get compensated themselves. For example my cat went on my '99 S-10 ss, the dealer replaced it no problem (free, still under warranty) but the dealer had to ship the part to GM for them to inspect the part and then credit the dealership for the part. It was no hassle to me because of the cost ($0), but if I had to pay for the new cat, the dealer would have to give me the old part out of my truck, it's the law, you own it. they often say it is for your convience that they take the old part (garbage) but based on the above "$600.00 every trip in to the garage" it seems more for their convience, (probably re-use your still working part in the next car that comes in and charge them for a new part as well)

My recomendation if the dealer is going to do work on your car tell them that you want everything that comes off your car, before they start to work on it. That way it sounds like you know how to work on cars and just don't have the tools at home. I did that with my front rotors recently. I was able to change the back no problem, but the 1/2 inch screws holding the rotor to the hub stripped like a wh*re on saturday night! I dropped my car off at my mechanics told him about the stripped bolts, left the car and the new rotors and pads for the front with him for an hour. When I got back the old rotors were in the new rotor boxes, the old pads were in the new pad boxes, taped closed and in my trunk. Yes it might be a little awkward throwing out garbage rotors, but I have full confidence with the mechanic after something like that, by the way I didn't ask for the parts to be returned he initated it and told me it was a good thing to practice. That way if the part is not worth replacing and they do it anyway, you have the actual part to get a second opinion on. I've been burned before so I try to cover my a$$ on things like these.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes I really question if some mechanics give back the "actual" part that came from your car instead of giving one from a previous job.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Banned

I hate dealerships..and their service prices. Goldendragon, how much they charge you for the 30K service over there?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:28 PM
TL-S driver

too much. I honestly don't remember but it's up around $300 I think. Because of the snow, the service manager and the service tech left early, I'm going to call them back tomorrow. I want answers on WTF is going on. I not only have my TL-S at this place doing aftermarket and regular services, I also have an MDX I take there. You'd think they would try to scam someone else!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
El Presidente

what exactly is done during the 30k service? if its not much i might jus do it myself.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Advanced

I had the exact same experience with my Honda. Had the 30K service, told me fronts and backs only had about 5K left. Got 4 new tires at 35K, tire guy told me I had 10K on the front, and backs were only 1/2 worn.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're gonna keep the car for a while, just bring it back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance.

Go somewhere reputable (and cheaper) for brakes, tires, suspension, etc. Just make sure to keep all receipts for your vehicle records (dealer or not) to keep your car's value up when you do decide to resell.

They can't say you failed to keep the relationship with them if your scheduled maintenance is up to snuff if you ever make a warranty claim.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Racer

that sounds very unlike park ave acura. they are probably the most well respected acura dealer in the country. stop over at acuracl.com and read some of the threads about them. i don't think i've ever read anything negative about them yet.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 PM
TL-S driver

that's why I'm so shocked! Park Ave is so good, I'm so shocked about this.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Who was the tech who worked on your car. I am lets say.....a former PAA employee. Look on your reciept and let me know the tech number. After that I will know the real story. Certain techs do things certain ways. I know who does what how. I am just curious. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Banned

Yes, PAA has a very good reputation on this board and at A-CL.com. If Wayne G is still the service manager over there you should talk to him about it. He's always been great at resolving customer complaints.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:50 AM
4th Gear

Greenwich Acura is the biggest scam

dealer I have ever seen. They want $1800 to "diagnose" and replace the air conditioner control module. Another dealer says the total cost of the repair should be around $600 to $700.

Advice: Stay away from Greenwich (CT) Acura. I will never do business with them again, they lie and pad their bills.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:40 AM
TL-S driver

Jens worked on my car, he usually does so I've never had any reason not to trust what he's told me. Wayne got back to me and said there was 30% left on my outside pads and 45% on the inside pads. That I believe, which still doesn't answer the question on why he told me they were shot. I'm going to talk to Wayne in person the next time I'm there. There is no better dealer in the area so I wouldn't even think of changing dealers.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 AM
l33t

I talked to my guy service manager buddie here in tampa a while back about a similar situation, basically the way he described it, is that the dealership will typically recommend replacement of pads when they near 20%, as acura service policy describes the pads are "end of life" at the 20% area. Supposedly, you not supposed to wear the pads down to nothing, its not good for the brakes, which i gotta call BS on.

So while the dealer has your shit all taken apart, they are, of cource, going to recommend replacement since they already have the wheels and suspension taken apart. Then its cheaper for the customer.

Front and rear pad job is about $350-$400... PAA, since they had everything taken apart, may simply have been trying to offer you a break on the labor for the pads since your near "end of life" on the front pads, and at that point, might as well do the rear too.

I dont like this methodology, since it really makes it look like your dealer is trying to screw you.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:57 AM
TL-S driver

that makes pretty good sense. I think I'm going to upgrade when I change my brakes though. What kind of aftermakets brakes do you guys have? rotors and pads.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:39 AM
l33t

the only rotors and pads that ever come fully reccommended by acura-tl and acura-cl members is the rotora rotors with axis or ebc pads, or the full big brake upgrade from stoptech/rotora/brembo/whatever.

So far, the only OEM replacement rotors that no one has complained about has been the rotoras. They are inexpensive, slotted, and i (amazingly) have yet to warp mine. they frikin ROCK.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Tristate Vip Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Park Ave Acura is the WORST. I went it there when I was looking to buy my acura. I had just come from working out so I was dreesed in a tshirt and shorts and they didnt want to give me the time of day. I guess they were judging me by the way I was dressed so I just left and purchased my acura elsewhere. I will never go there again.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
holla!

conn tl

after living in CT all my life connTL, and finally movin to cali a few montnhs ago, ive realized that anythin in greenwich area is going to be about 2x to 3x what it is normally, its really disgusting, fyck southern connecticut, if ur that close to greenwich ur better off drivin an extra 20 minutes to get out of that area to find some decent prices

GO UCONN, watch out for brett boone in the final four, i called it now
Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 PM
TL-S driver

Originally posted by jleon2516
Park Ave Acura is the WORST. I went it there when I was looking to buy my acura. I had just come from working out so I was dreesed in a tshirt and shorts and they didnt want to give me the time of day. I guess they were judging me by the way I was dressed so I just left and purchased my acura elsewhere. I will never go there again.
I hate that, I had it done to me when I was 19 and I bought my 4-Runner. I ended up going back and telling the manager "you see that $33k truck outside? Well you missed a sale because your sales people are assholes!" My dad was laughing the whole time, even though he was mad that I was such a dick to them.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Jens is an honest tech so most likely it was miscommunication between Tech and Writer. It happens.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by goldendragon576
I hate that, I had it done to me when I was 19 and I bought my 4-Runner. I ended up going back and telling the manager "you see that $33k truck outside? Well you missed a sale because your sales people are assholes!" My dad was laughing the whole time, even though he was mad that I was such a dick to them.
You know, I should have done that with my Pathfinder. It came down to the Pathfinder and the 4Runner. Dad was trying to talk down the price for the 4Runner and the sales rep wouldn't budge. Said if we can get a better price for the car then we should go elsewhere.

Went next door to the Nissan dealer and got the salesperson to come down a couple of thousand. Should have driven back to the Toyota dealer and showed off my new car. Hindsight is 20/20.

I bought the Pathfinder at Westbury Nissan, and the Toyota dealer was next door. I believe they were just west of Wantagh Parkway on one of the major roads (leading to Roosevelt Mall)....but I don't think either of them are there anymore.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Darkshear
So far, the only OEM replacement rotors that no one has complained about has been the rotoras. They are inexpensive, slotted, and i (amazingly) have yet to warp mine. they frikin ROCK.
I just put Rotoras on the front of my '02 TL-S this week. We'll see how well the last. At 40K my OEM rotors had warped for the third and final time. Ridiculous for a car in this class.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:55 PM
USMC Butterbars

Originally posted by jleon2516
i know what you mean. I went in for some service dressed in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and the guy at the tech counter was a complete dick. Went back a week later, dressed to impress and was given much better respect by the same schmuck
Old 03-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, I decided to change my rear pads for the FIRST time at 152,000 miles and they still had another 30K left to go!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Racer

Are you sure it wasn't the rotors that were bad and needed to be replaced? There is a minium thickness of the rotors below which they can't be machined.

It's doubtful that at 30K you would have used up so much of the rotor that it can't be machined, but who knows.

I've had a few mechanics try to screw with me or charge for service that was never performed. I alwas ask ask them to show me what's wrong with the car before I agree to service. When you take it back, ask them to show you why the rear brakes needs to be replaced - go in there like you're just nice and curious and then then if they try to pull some crap on you, nail em.