Dealer offered to buy out my lease

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer offered to buy out my lease

I just got a letter from a dealer saying that they would like to buy my car (2002 TL-S).

I have had 2 tranny replacements on this car and have been wishing to get out of the lease.

Now it seems like it would be an easy way out.

Should I do it? Is there some trick here?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Here is a trick. Dealer will roll in your leftover payments from current car into new lease. This way you will just pay more, than if you would lease your car "from scratch".
Old 04-21-2004, 08:14 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a feeling there is going to be a "total recall" (pardom the bad movie pun), on the entire line of 99-03 TLs, They just did this to the MDX, Pilot and Oddesy, and we have the same trannie!!!! Don't go getting rid of a car that Acura is going to put a new trannie in. Acura has simply made a bad decision with thier trannies from 99-03, they needed time to redesign the trannie, hence all of the band-aid trannie fixes. Now it seems like thay have a new trannie and they are putting it in all of the Oddesys, Pilots and MDXs (I know a friend who bought one last week and was called two days later to get the trannie replaced, so don't go and think all of the newer cars/SUVs are fixed, because thay are not.

with the dealer wanting to buy out your lease makes me sceptical right away, maybe they want to get you into a new car before they ar forced to give you a new trannie and a rental or loaner for a week.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Advanced

How much are they buying it out for? How much will you be losing? How much longer is your lease term? These are all things you should consider. If you have no plans of buying the car at lease-end, then it might be something to consider. If the dealer sent me a letter to buy out my lease, I would definitely consider it. Save money on insurance and the rest of the payments.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Trannies are not the same in TLS/CLS as MDX, Pilot, etc..
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mlionel
Here is a trick. Dealer will roll in your leftover payments from current car into new lease. This way you will just pay more, than if you would lease your car "from scratch".
Could not have said it better myself, the dealer is not going to lose money on anything, even if it screwed up terribly. My advice, you got clout, they are conceding to you that they leased/sold you an inferior product, make them pay for that shit.

First off, take that bad boy into the shop as often as possible, they keep records of how many times you are going in to service, they will eventually harass you to buy out the lease. They will call youu and send letters and crap. Second, when this happens, get a lawyer and have them sell you a 2005 RL for like a dollar...... That might not happen, but then atleast they know you are wise to their game and will give you a better deal for some other ride..... keep it TL, though..... (unless you get just an awesome deal on a G35 or M3 :toothless )
Old 04-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Dealer will only do what's best for the dealer, nuff said.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2004, 03:02 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Type-S1
Trannies are not the same in TLS/CLS as MDX, Pilot, etc..

really? This was posted by Mr. Hyde (think it is spelt right) by the way he is one of the moderators on this site soooo... I might tend to take his advice..
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA? If the Oddysey's, Pilots, and MDX's are recalled, why shouldn't the TL/CL, and even Accords which share the same tranny be included as well?
The online petition is nice, but who does that get submitted to? If you have a few minutes, whip out your registration, and report your tranny failure to the NHTSA. In light of the recall, maybe they'll be more inclined to act this time around.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
this is in the thread at the top of the 2nd gen forum page.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Instructor

with the dealer wanting to buy out your lease makes me sceptical right away, maybe they want to get you into a new car before they ar forced to give you a new trannie and a rental or loaner for a week.[/QUOTE]

First of all. dealers love to do warranty work. For them this is guaranteed workload and payments from Acura.
Secondly, I got the same letter from my dealer, and I know friends that received that letter too. That is because dealer wants to hook you up with new lease. What dealer does not tell you is that your old balance will be rolled into your new lease. That will make your monthly payments bigger. I know somebody that got caught in that.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by indoMFP
Could not have said it better myself, the dealer is not going to lose money on anything, even if it screwed up terribly. My advice, you got clout, they are conceding to you that they leased/sold you an inferior product, make them pay for that shit.

First off, take that bad boy into the shop as often as possible, they keep records of how many times you are going in to service, they will eventually harass you to buy out the lease. They will call youu and send letters and crap. Second, when this happens, get a lawyer and have them sell you a 2005 RL for like a dollar...... That might not happen, but then atleast they know you are wise to their game and will give you a better deal for some other ride..... keep it TL, though..... (unless you get just an awesome deal on a G35 or M3 :toothless )

I don't think they want to buy my car because of all the tranny problems I have had. They simply state in the letter that used low mileage TLs are in high demand and they want to get their hands on it.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:35 PM

Acura is not going to tell you the truth. If you received a letter saying that they were going to buy your car because the tranny will fail anyday. Wouldnt you freak out.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Racer

it's a ploy to get you to buy another car.

common tactict at dealers:
--salesman comes rushing up to you as you pull in the lot--
S: Hey, I noticed you had an older <insert name>, how does it drive?
U: Pretty good. Thanks.
--some more chit chat--
S: Listen, I've got a custoemr that came in the other day, he can't afford a new --name a car--, but he was really intereested in something like what you have, would you be willing to sell it. You'd really help me out so I'll get you a GREAT deal on a new --name a car--

Don't fall for it. They'll do whatever the can to sell you a new car
Old 04-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Let me pile in and say it sounds like a bad idea. Dealers and salesmen are looking out for their bottomline, and not yours. Be careful....
Old 04-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I have a feeling there is going to be a "total recall" (pardom the bad movie pun), on the entire line of 99-03 TLs, They just did this to the MDX, Pilot and Oddesy, and we have the same trannie!!!! Don't go getting rid of a car that Acura is going to put a new trannie in. Acura has simply made a bad decision with thier trannies from 99-03, they needed time to redesign the trannie, hence all of the band-aid trannie fixes. Now it seems like thay have a new trannie and they are putting it in all of the Oddesys, Pilots and MDXs (I know a friend who bought one last week and was called two days later to get the trannie replaced, so don't go and think all of the newer cars/SUVs are fixed, because thay are not.

with the dealer wanting to buy out your lease makes me sceptical right away, maybe they want to get you into a new car before they ar forced to give you a new trannie and a rental or loaner for a week.
I have not heard anything about this, and I think you are in a dreamworld all your own if you think Acura is going to recall all those cars. If I am wrong I will appologize later.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruski
I don't think they want to buy my car because of all the tranny problems I have had. They simply state in the letter that used low mileage TLs are in high demand and they want to get their hands on it.
PLeaseeeeeeeee. What a load of crap that is.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ruski
Yeah, right. Just check classifieds, 2003 goes for low $20s, 2002 for around $20k... High demand my butt!!!