Dealer lied about car being certified! plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taz, Ed Morse Acura has given you the runaround all this time. I'd call 800 382 2238- Acura USA for complete details concerning your extended certified warranty.

FlDave
Old 01-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
While Acura's corporate office can't do much as far as this matter goes, they can certiainly cut down on Ed Morse's allocation in the future, depending on the outcome of this case.

Acura dealerships represent the Acura name, and any wrong-doing on their part would certainly tarnish the reputation of Acura. Therefore, Acura can cut down on the number of cars the dealership is entitled to selling, which will severely and directly limit the amount of profits they can make, or stop doing business with them altogether. Acura can strip Ed Morse of the Acura brand and would no longer sell their cars through them.

So yes, keep in touch with the Corporate office. Trust me. They can do much more than what they say they can. (Read my story at the end)

And since you found the Certificate for the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty, you basically just won the game. Make sure you make some copies of that certificate and keep the original in a safe place. Then, call the Corporate office to explain the situation and keep them updated. After that, go to the dealership and ask to talk to the manager. Tell him/her of the situation, and that you have all the documents proving your story, and that you have contacted Acura Headquarters on this matter, and that you will not hesitate to retain an attorney and go to court if the matter is not solved to your satisfaction. In this case, the only way to remedy the situation would be to refund you EVERY PENNY. If they ***** and whine about how they have to eat the costs and fees, get up, say "Then I'll see you in court" and walk out. They will stop you and make the deal.

Oh, yeah, if you are really pissed about the dealership, then call your local Fox TV station. They have their Problem Solvers, and they would LOVE to do a story on a shady car dealership. All you have to do is get on TV, show the documents and say you've been scammed. The TV station will do the rest of the work, and Mr. Ed Morse will be calling everyone in for an emergency meeting.

Good luck.

The story I promised --

Spring of 1997, my dad bought a new Tahoe. Right off the bat, it had alignment problems, and it kept veering to the left on smooth, even surfaces. It went back to the dealership numerous times, and although it should've been under warranty, we paid for all the repair costs. I was 16 back then, and my dad didn't know any better, either. We were totally had by the shady ass service manager. Even spending hundreds of dollars on new tires, alignment, etc., he looked straight in our eyes and told us, "I got a call from Chevrolet Corporate. An engineer informed me that since their K-series goes through tough lives, carrying cargo and whatnot, and that means you would most likely travel in the slow lane, which are usually slanted to the right. So they built in this "safety feature" to make the car go slightly to the left, so you don't have to grab the steering wheel all the time."

Uh-huh... right... OK...

Came home and wrote a letter to the Zone Manager. A month later, we went back to get something else taken care of, and I didn't see the service manager. I asked one of the reps what happened and I was told that he got fired a couple of weeks earlier. And right around then, the ZM wrote us back and apologized for the inconvenience.

Happy ending, except Chevy still couldn't fix the problem. We had given up on it. Years down the road, I had a chance to talk with a Chevrolet factory worker, and was informed that the robots and machinery they use sometimes overtorqued during the chassis fabrication process, bending the frame VERY slightly, but enough to cause loss of on-center focus in steering. No wonder the dealership couldn't fix it. They would've had to replace the entire chassis!!

So yeah, the moral of the story is that it helps to keep in touch with the Corporate office. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Pure Adrenaline - Thanks for the advice and the story. I've already been in contact with Acura but I'll make sure to contact them again now that I have proof they sold me the car as certified. At least they'll keep a record on the shady dealership if nothing else.

Meanwhile, I got the car back from the shop:
----------------------------------------------------
- The frame has not been damaged and there has is no other noticible damage.
- The brake pads have 80% or more left
- There are no leaks
- There are no belts etc that need replacing
- 3 of the tires are just below 50% tread
- Its possible that the front bumper has been replaced bucause the color of the front bumper is slightly different than the rest of the car.
- Some fluids need to be changed
- The front right tire is between 2/32 & 3/32 tread and worn failry bad
- The wheels are out of alignment.
So the car is actually in great shape besides some minor serviceable items and theres no reason that it couldnt be certified. Now, Ed Morse needs certify this car or compensate me by making sure it is up to certified standards including the warranty. I'll also require additional compensation for the fees I've incurred and the hassel throughout this process. I faxed over the buyers order (window sticker) to Ed Morse and should hear from thier sales manager tomorrow. I'll keep yall posted on the outcome. thnx again.

TAZ
Old 01-20-2004, 02:12 AM
bluLEGEND

The entire principle is wrong. Many things cannot be seen from the naked eye. You'll never know what happened to this car. You can only guess. And the way the dealer you purchased from is treating you, it would set off a big red flag that there might be something wrong with it. I would stick it to them and find a better car that requires less of a hassle. Also make sure the warranty they provide is not dealer-specific. Other dealers will not want to service your car for free because you made a deal with another dealer.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with blulegend, it's the principle. IMO a wrecked car should not be certified because it isn't the same car! I say that because it's obvious it has a new bumper that is a different color. Like blulegend said there may be collateral damage that one cannot see. Also who knows if the frame isn't really damaged? Did you get a 2nd opinion? The wheels are out of alignment -- a symptom of frame damage.

Let me advise, if you ever want to sell it or trade it in get ready to bend over because they will notice the new bumper and not give you crap. Not that trade-ins are good anyway...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Whats perplexing about Ed Morse's attitude concerning the certification of car is; since Taz lived a considerable distance away from their dealership he obviously wouldn't have been taking the car back to them for warranty work. Which indeed leeds one to believe that there is more to this scenario. If Ed Morse knowingly certified a previously wrecked car they'll be in some serious trouble. Acura USA obviously wouldn't condone such practices and might(should) revoke dealership liscense. Beyond that, it appears that EM was deliberatly deceptive in the transaction of the TL and was caught red-handed when Taz found the certifiction paperwork!! Sounds like a lawyers dream to me($$$)!!!

FlDave
Old 01-20-2004, 10:27 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TazTL-

That front bumper being a different color is pretty common, even on factory painted cars. And especially if it's WDP. It has to do with the material that the paint is being applied to (metal vs. rubber/plastic, etc.). I had my front bumper repainted after some of the factory paint was coming off and the new paint is a lighter shade of WDP. In the shade it's pretty obvious but in the bright sunshine it blends in a lot better.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:02 PM
bluLEGEND

Originally posted by Tom Blasing
TazTL-

That front bumper being a different color is pretty common, even on factory painted cars. And especially if it's WDP. It has to do with the material that the paint is being applied to (metal vs. rubber/plastic, etc.). I had my front bumper repainted after some of the factory paint was coming off and the new paint is a lighter shade of WDP. In the shade it's pretty obvious but in the bright sunshine it blends in a lot better.
This phenomenon is also partly due to the paint not being from the same batch and the metallic elements not being painted on or drying in the same fashion.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced

I think this all depends on how much you bought the car for. If you can find a better deal for a car that did not have as much problems I think it would be worth the hassle to return the car. Also I would try to get squeeze some money out of the dealership now that you can prove that they were lying. It never hurts to ask.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

i think it's about time Corporate hear about this sh*t... call them at (800) 382-2238, and don't just speak with anyone.. escalate it to the supervisor or something.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Advanced

- change of events:
Ed Morse is now demanding the car back and telling me that they WILL NOT refund my down payment. They say that the sticker on the car is a 'federal sticker' created by a 3rd party and was a mistake and doesnt matter.
- THIS IS BS because the window sticker (aka buyers guide) states that it is a part of any contract to buy the car.
- ALSO, the Buyers Order has a statement that the window sticker OVERRIDES anything on the rest of the contract. The way I see it is that the window sticker is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the contract since it overrides any conflicting data on the rest of the contract anyway. OMG. I cant believe this...this is freakin unreal.
- Ed Morse has basically said that they will keep my down payment and that they will repo the car.
please end this damn nightmare. I'm having my dad take all the paperwork to his lawyer today.
- just an update...DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM ED MORSE. thnx again guys, I'll let you know how this unfolds.

TAZ
Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by tazTL
I'm having my dad take all the paperwork to his lawyer today.

TAZ
Man, u should have done that in the first place.. Looooooooooooooong time ago..

Freakin dealer crooks.. Makes me mad just listening to your story dude...
Old 01-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

This just got real interesting We'll hear what the lawyer has to say...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm smelling lawsuit. As if I'm sure your already doing but on every contact you have with the 'dealer' I would cc: the Federal Trade Commission, Acura Corporate, The Automotive Dealers Association and any local consumer advocate group or media personality (t.v., radio or newsprint).

Also, if you make contact with the dealer from now on it should be in letter form sent by Certified Mail with signature receipt sent back to you for proof of contact.

Would be kind of a bite right now if the car got stolen:devil:
Old 01-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Good advise above Let the FTC have a shot at those pricks. See how the light the HEAT from the Feds.

You can also find the governing agency that regulates car sales there. In Texas it's the Texas Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division. I'm sure there is something similar. You can complain specifically about sales practices. Anyway this division can close the dealers doors, basically the bottom line. In your state it might be the Secretary of State that does this function (he/she can order the business closed). Your AG can probably help too. Can't hurt to try you know.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:06 PM
2002 TL Type S

- change of events:
Ed Morse is now demanding the car back and telling me that they WILL NOT refund my down payment. They say that the sticker on the car is a 'federal sticker' created by a 3rd party and was a mistake and doesnt matter.

- Ed Morse has basically said that they will keep my down payment and that they will repo the car.
please end this damn nightmare. I'm having my dad take all the paperwork to his lawyer today.
- just an update...DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM ED MORSE. thnx again guys, I'll let you know how this unfolds.
Yeah, you should have gotten a lawyer involved earlier, but it looks like this thing is about to come to a head. So, is Ed Morse going to repo the car because they just found out you aren't paying for it? I'd definitely make sure that you report this dealership to every avenue you can (news, state, BBB, etc.) ...make sure that this dealer has a black mark from this incident. Good luck! Let the courts decide how much you need to pay the dealer...don't agree to sh*t with that dishonest S.O.B.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
They are "demanding" the car back?

It doesn't matter if the sticker was created by a 3rd party. Ed Morse sold the car to you. The transaction took place between you and the dealership, and the 3rd party had no part in it, therefore it doesn't matter. Ed Morse was responsible for making sure that the sticker stated the condition of the car and the contract correctly.

I can't believe that they have the guts to demand the car back and repo it. I think your dad's lawyer will have a field trip with this.

It's dealerships like Ed Morse that makes Acura dealerships look like no better than other shady dealerships out there. Put the stick up their asses as far as it will go and see how they like it.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Drifting

definetly talkto a lawyer..the way you ecplain it...the dealer seems to be playing you legally
Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by njtls
definetly talkto a lawyer..the way you ecplain it...the dealer seems to be playing you legally
tru, the dealer is tryin to play me legally hardcore, thats why I'm letting the lawyer talk to his lawyer from now on and I'm not talking to anyone about it but my lawyer. Today my lawyer sent me a draft of a letter that he's sending to Ed Morse' lawyer. I revised the draft some and the final copy will be faxed over tomorrow.
- Meanwhile, theres no way they can repo the car if they cant find it so I'm making sure its outa reach until this is straightened out.
- The bank called me today and said that ed morse is trying to pressure them into releasing funds. I confirmed with the bank that they should not release funds until this is resolved and that my lawyer is currently dealing with the dealership. The bank told me that they would not release funds until I authorised it and were having thier lawyer get involved to protect them and protect me. So now ed morse will be dealing with two lawyers.
- Hopefully this will all be over soon...then I can start doin mods to my TL and participating in more normal posts like 'what does rice mean', lol. I'll keep you updated...

TAZ
Old 01-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Rock Star

man i hate fcukin a holes like the dealership doesnt have enough g dam cash they gota bust balz
Old 01-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool Hell Yeah!

tru, the dealer is tryin to play me legally hardcore, thats why I'm letting the lawyer talk to his lawyer from now on and I'm not talking to anyone about it but my lawyer. Today my lawyer sent me a draft of a letter that he's sending to Ed Morse' lawyer. I revised the draft some and the final copy will be faxed over tomorrow.
- Meanwhile, theres no way they can repo the car if they cant find it so I'm making sure its outa reach until this is straightened out.
- The bank called me today and said that ed morse is trying to pressure them into releasing funds. I confirmed with the bank that they should not release funds until this is resolved and that my lawyer is currently dealing with the dealership. The bank told me that they would not release funds until I authorised it and were having thier lawyer get involved to protect them and protect me. So now ed morse will be dealing with two lawyers.
- Hopefully this will all be over soon...then I can start doin mods to my TL and participating in more normal posts like 'what does rice mean', lol. I'll keep you updated...

TAZ
F***in A Sounds like Ed Morse is hosed! Screwed with the wrong educated man :lol1:

Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Advanced

IMO, the least you should get is an extremely discounted brand new 2003 type-s or 2004 and nothing less. but that's just my .02
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

With all the crap he's gone through and the deception on the part of the dealer he should get a new one for free.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
l33t

Nah, he should just settle for his current TL the way its supposed to be, plus a fat blow job Ed Morse.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:09 PM
2002 TL Type S

Originally posted by Shinobi
IMO, the least you should get is an extremely discounted brand new 2003 type-s or 2004 and nothing less. but that's just my .02
True, but I wouldn't count on getting any bonuses out of this mess. In fact I wouldn't want to own anything from that dealer even at a discount. Just focus on getting money back from the crook, return the car, and shop elsewhere. Check the BBB before walking into the next dealership. When I was shopping for spas, I checked a local Jacuzzi dealer and noticed they had a ton of complaints versus one an hour away. The one an hour away was who I bought from and they have been excellent on service I had recently.

IMO, here are the facts:

(1) You took possession of the car - dealer will want some sort of prorated payment for the car while in your possession + mileage (possibly). Don't expect this would be very much money - depends how long you had the car in your possession.

(2) You paid $1000 + downpayment or whatever. Should be enough to cover above and then some. You should receive some sort of refund for the difference + #3 below.

(3) So-called "certified" vehicle required work to make it roadworthy. Should be billed to the dealer. As for the suspension damage, if this is true then it should not have been "certified" because a car that's not roadworthy should not be sold unless you were told about it.

I don't think there's anything else. Keep us posted on what happens.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Well, they gave me the option of returning the car but they were going to keep my down payment....theres no way that is going to happen. I got a good deal with this car (my mechanic said the car is solid aside from a few minor issues that are easy to solve) if they make good on thier end ...and if they do, I'll be happy. Legally, I'm not entitled to any bonuses unless I sued them for fraud and hopeflly it wont come to that.
- Just a side note, I design websites for companies as a side job...I just purchased 'edmorseacurafraud.com' and will soon be putting up a website detailing my troubles. I will then have an email address 'taz@edmorseacurafruad.com' from which I will be emailing ed morse acura, ed morse corporate, and Acura direct from. I'll also be putting a visible counter on the site and let everyone here know to blow up the site with hits so when ed morse managers check out the website, they'll see how many peeps are seeing the negative advertising. Additionally, I'll list it with search engines so it will have a high index and will be displayed when anyone does a search for 'ed morse acura' or anything similar. AND it will provide links to every organization you could possible complain to about them so other peeps can use it as a way to file complaints of thier troubles with ed morse. I've already checked into the legality of all this and as long as everything I post is true, its not considered slander.
- I should be hearing back from my lawyer today with an updated draft of what he's sending to ed morse' lawyer, I'll keep you posted. thnx again for all the input and suggestions.

TAZ
Old 01-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Racer

I just purchased 'edmorseacurafraud.com'
That's hilarious

(been lurking in your thread for a while. Good luck with your fight)
Old 01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've already checked into the legality of all this and as long as everything I post is true, its not considered slander.

TAZ
Right, it would be libel . But seriously, I would wait until this is all cleared up before you do anything with that site.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Advanced

fortunate - my bad, you're right. Either way, they couldnt do anything about it unless they could prove it wasn't true. But I agree, I'll wait until this is over until I actually post anything on the site. I just wanted to purchase the domain for now, just in case...maybe I'll end up offering it for sale to them ;-)

TAZ
Old 01-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

I do have similar issue. Dealer can't provide any proof of certification eventhough I have received certifcaition card from Acura. My point is dealership did only paper work to do certified.
I was so mad...we shouldn't let this happen to other people. Dealer will keep doing this. I called Acura customer service and they can't give me any kind of answer too. BAD BAD BAD.
I want to know good lawyer who is specializing this kind of issue.
By the way, I am in the Washington DC/Northern VA area.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Taz, what's up with your car. It's been awhile since any update.

FlDave
Old 01-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Racer

In Florida - it's pretty open and shut in Taz's favor -

They have a Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act -

Florida Courts have stated it is a
deceptive and/or unfair act for a used
car dealer to fail to honor its
expressed warranty agreement or any
implied warranties that is not properly
disclaimed. Further, it is a violation of
the Act for a dealer to disclaim implied
warranties with inconspicuous
language that does not alert the
consumer of the disclaimer.
If the individual who sold you your
used car refuses to honor an express
or implied warranty or, in the
alternative, made false and
misleading representations in
negotiating the sale of your used car,
there is a strong chance that you may
find protection under Florida’s
Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices
Act. If you are uncertain as to whether
you are protected under the Act, you
should contact your local legal
services or legal aid office or a private
attorney.

by the balls baby
Old 01-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

yowza...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Definately gonna be some mager ownage there by Taz. We have a law like that here in Texas
Old 01-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced

UPDATE:
Ed Morse' lawyer's response to my lawyer was simply "It was a mistake". The are not willing to offer anything additional to compensate or correct the issue AT ALL. Basically they're saying they wanna screw me over. great. I think I might take them to small claims court...I'm really unsure at this point honestly...this whole ordeal is unreal. thnx for the info groebuck1, my girlfriend is checking into my rights on this. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated...any comments or suggestions are appreciated. thnx again to everyone.

TAZ
Old 01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Racer

Talk to your lawyer it should be open and shut - they sold you the car with the certified part, pointed it out, advertised it on the vehicle (you have that proof) and then turn around and claim none of that was ever said? The Acura Certified program comes with a warranty 12/12000 and 7/100000 I think (at least the honda does). You bought the car as advertised with the 'certified' status. You have all the paper work to prove it. Unless the sales contract had a very clear paragraph about no guarantees of implied or expressed warranties - you got em. Talk to your lawyer about the Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. Not only should you win, you can recover money!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:46 PM
2002 TL Type S

UPDATE:
Ed Morse' lawyer's response to my lawyer was simply "It was a mistake". The are not willing to offer anything additional to compensate or correct the issue AT ALL. Basically they're saying they wanna screw me over. great. I think I might take them to small claims court...I'm really unsure at this point honestly...this whole ordeal is unreal. thnx for the info groebuck1, my girlfriend is checking into my rights on this. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated...any comments or suggestions are appreciated. thnx again to everyone.

TAZ
That's fine, a dealer is allowed to make mistakes. But, you shouldn't be stuck with a repair bill because of their error and you certainly don't have to be stuck with a car you bought under false pretenses due to this dealer "mistake." Take 'em to court and let a judge decide who gets what, not some jerkoff at a dealership.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

How much in damages are you claiming again? I'm not sure about FL, but CA limits small claims court to claims under $5K.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow pardon me but the lawyer sounds like an idiot...

"It was a mistake."

This is an excuse, an excuse is an admission to guilt. You have an admission of their guilt in writing Don't know if that'll hold water on the deceptive trade statute but what the hell
Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by groebuck1
In Florida - it's pretty open and shut in Taz's favor -

They have a Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act -

The DTPA is a powerful tool against manufacturers and dealers. One word of advice (if you haven't already): All correspondence needs to be copied to Honda corporate--they may jump in and work on the dealership from the other end.

Quick Reply: Dealer lied about car being certified! plz help!