Dealer lied about car being certified! plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure Adrenaline - I dont believe the suspenssion was damaged, the wheels are out of alignment and the transmission went bad (but apparently that is common with TL's). I'm not sure the car is a lemon...just that it wasnt certified when it was supposed to be.

scottiew - I may end up takin the car back...I would like to keep it though if I can straigten things out with the dealer.

fldave - I'm going to contact Acura first thing in the morning for sure. thnx for the number

Tom - There wouldnt be any papers saying as-is either way because it still had 4,000 miles under the standard manufacturers warranty...and the $3k value of wrrnty is BS for sure.

** I asked the dealer where the car is being repaired now what the tire tread is and they said that the fron right tire has 3/32 left and that the other tires had between 5/32 and 6/32 left....correct me if I'm wrong but this doesnt seem as bad as I thought. The service manager originally told me that all the tires were running bare....but eve if it WAS certified, wouldnt the tires be allowed to be between 5/32 and 6/32 because that is about 50% tire tread? In that case, noly the front right tire would be outa spec. Either way, they still lied about the car being certified and I'm contacting Acura first thing tomorrow, I'll post then to let y'all know what the outcome is. thnx again to everyone, plz let me know your thoughts as this unfolds....

TAZ
Old 01-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Did you know the car had been in an accident before you purchased it? If not, I wouldn't want the car. Also, didn't you look at the tires and notice how worn they were? This dealer is shady, I wouldn't want the car unless they gave you a HUGE deal. Even then...
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by tazTL
Tell me what you guys think:
I might be able to convice the sales manager to pay the full amount for me to have the platinum extended warranty ($900 - $1,100 value) to cover me until 100,000 miles. You think that would be sufficient or do you think the fact that the car should have been certified out weighs that? I would like to keep the car if possible because I really like it and if I could get the extended warranty OR get it up to certified standards at no charge, it would still be a good deal....
Opinions?
thnx...

TAZ
The car has been wrecked, why do you want to make monthly payments on damanged goods. TAKE THE CAR BACK ... you can find another TL in better conditions that you won't have to be worring about ....
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 AM
bluLEGEND

Listening to this conversation is frustrating me.

The only acceptable action is for the dealer to take back the car and refund you for everything. Don't worry about your $1k money order. Stop all forms of payment you can. Don't give the car back unless they give your $1k MO back.

You should have had this all squared away the very next day. I can't believe you are taking this so leisurely. You seem so worried about your $1k MO but you don't seem in a hurry to protect your $15k+ purchase?

Your girlfriend should have some connections to lawyers so get hooked up. Hurry and have someone write a letter to the dealer and possibly Acura on your behave.

Also, the frame may have sustained dmg to have the alignment thrown off. Personally, I would have looked over that car before I bought it. Was this your first purchase and that's why you're holding onto it so much? If you live so far away, what good is a bumper to bumper warranty that probably will only be honored by that very same dealer?

They knew you were 5 hrs away and knew you came in not to leave empty handed. You got screwed by that dealer. So screw them back. Return the car.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Instructor

tazTL

The car probably been in a big accident and not a little one. I can just drive over a big pot hole and get my wheels out of aligment.
They cheated you once, and they will do it again. They only seem to help you so you won't SUE their sorry A$$. Once they have your money, do you really think they are care about you and your wreaked TL? NO!!!!
LISTEN to everyone, you should bring back the POS and make them give back your Money, in FULL. There are plenty of 02-03 TL's out there.

Not to offend anyone, but this is like marring someone, and finding out that they were previously a hooker.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:33 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im starting to lean everyone elses way taz... try and get them to take the car back dude......
Old 01-09-2004, 11:46 AM
bluLEGEND

I feel he already gave the dealer the impression he is not very serious about all this. I predict the dealer will play hard with him.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Advanced

- I'm starting to agree as well...but...I talked to the dealer last night and he told me that if I wanted to return the car, he would keep my down payment and charge me for any expenses that have been incurred by him in this process such as state fees, etc, etc...I'd hate to have to drive 5 hours away to return the car and start looking for a car all over again and lose $2k in the process but that may end up bieng what I'll have to do. I contacted Acura and all they said they could do was foreward my complaint to the dealership.

- Get this: The idiot at the dealership accidentally faxed me a bunch of paperwork that the EPA sent them informing the dealership of several VIOLATIONS. Apparently they had at least 3 uncertified technicians servicing air condition units among other violations.

blulegend - 1. I did check the tires out before I bought it and they looked fine and it now turns out that all but one tire have between 5/32 and 6/32 tread which is sufficient (the dealer where the car is at now musta been exagerating to sell me tires). 2. The warranty would be honored anywhere. 3. I would have taken care of it the next day if I knew it wasnt certified. 4. This is only my second car purchase.

TAZ
Old 01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Advanced

don't let the charge you for anything, seriously, if you have to make a scene to get your point thru do it!!! it'll pay off in the long run...for them to sell you a wrecked car and then want you to pay for stuff that should have been taken care of by them, is complete BS.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

- I'm starting to agree as well...but...I talked to the dealer last night and he told me that if I wanted to return the car, he would keep my down payment and charge me for any expenses that have been incurred by him in this process such as state fees, etc, etc...I'd hate to have to drive 5 hours away to return the car and start looking for a car all over again and lose $2k in the process but that may end up bieng what I'll have to do. I contacted Acura and all they said they could do was foreward my complaint to the dealership.

- Get this: The idiot at the dealership accidentally faxed me a bunch of paperwork that the EPA sent them informing the dealership of several VIOLATIONS. Apparently they had at least 3 uncertified technicians servicing air condition units among other violations.

blulegend - 1. I did check the tires out before I bought it and they looked fine and it now turns out that all but one tire have between 5/32 and 6/32 tread which is sufficient (the dealer where the car is at now musta been exagerating to sell me tires). 2. The warranty would be honored anywhere. 3. I would have taken care of it the next day if I knew it wasnt certified. 4. This is only my second car purchase.

TAZ
You have enough evidence they should pray to settle with you. You think with all of that any right-minded jury would cast a shadow of a doubt over your troubles? I say slam 'em and slam 'em hard. Also contact your State's AG and your district attorney. They are doing some bad business and need their license to do auto business revolked.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:07 AM
l33t

I think the ball is way in your court dude. Drive 'yer ass over there and knock them out also call the bank and see if that one month for canceling checks thing works.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:22 AM
bluLEGEND

There is also a way to cancel money orders as well. Contact the bank.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:46 AM
USMC Butterbars

TAZ
HOLY CRAP ....i would send that ish to Corporate Acura along with a letter explaining your situation.....i kno they said that each dealership is privately owned, but with violations like that, they HAVE to do something....
Old 01-10-2004, 08:58 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can tell stuff like that to the EPA.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

GEOOOOOODDDD

Reading this thread is fvckin frustrating. Dude, how old are you? Have your laywer g/f knock some sense into you. It sounds like you're defending the dealer that ripped you off.

1. "Certified" or not, that car has been in an accident and it seems like a very bad accident. Why would you want to keep a car that you KNOW has been damaged? Fixing everything to get it back up to "certified" specs doesn't mean squat since what's happened has happened. A car has thousands of parts and it's just not the same anymore after it's been in an accident.

2. Extended warranty isn't a justifiable option since you know the dealer ripped you off and I CAN'T BELIEVE you're going to let them play you again. Haven't you learned your lesson? What happens down the road if your car has problems again and the dealer gives you a hard time with your extended warranty? You'll just be back here on this board bltching again.

3. There are literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of TLs out there that don't have problems. Go find one of them. And if you can't find one, there are PLENTY of OTHER cars out there. That Type-S of your's isn't the only damn car on the road. Get one from a reputable dealer. A little hassle now goes a LONG way in preventing future headaches down the road.

4. Seriously, you gotta look at the BIG PICTURE. The dealer ripped you off. I wouldn't take shlt from them at all. I'll use every means allowable in this great country of our's to stick it to the dealer. Lawyers, BBB, Acura Corporate, Consumer Affairs, FTC. Doesn't hurt to start your own smudge campaign against the dealer just for the fun of it.

If I were you, I'll have the dealer tow their own POS back to their POS lot and demand your money back.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Hall of Famer

what dealership was it????
Old 01-10-2004, 01:04 PM
USMC Butterbars

Originally posted by Tom Blasing
You can tell stuff like that to the EPA.
Environmental Protection Agency?
Old 01-10-2004, 03:33 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Originally posted by shimbo519
Environmental Protection Agency?
Yep, if these guys aren't trained and certified on how to recover refrigerant then they might just release it into the atmosphere, enter the EPA.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Advanced

liutang -

I'm not defending the dealer at all, this was obviously some sort of scam. I'm just saying that I dont think the car is as bad off as I thought it was. When the tranny is fixed, I'm going to take it to my own mechanic and have him check it out. I believe that the dealership that has the car now to fix the tranny was dishonest because he told me at first that the tires were running bare but now I find that they have 50% tread left. (by the way, I'm not 'bltching', I'm simply asking for some input from people who may have more experience with this sort of thing).

- I got the car at a good price and I'm sure that the dealer will keep my $2k (if I cant cancel the check/money order) which would severely delay me from getting another car....basically I would be screwed and even if I could eventually get my money back, it would be a long while.

- I'm going to talk to the Acura regional manager and the dealership's corporate office on Monday and then take the car to my mechanic ASAP to have it checked out.

- I realize that some think I'm taking this to lightly but I'm really not...it's just a difficult situation and its more difficult because its already been about a month since I bought the car and its 5 hours away. AND the car is at a diffferent Acura dealership now so I'm afraid they could just take my car if they want and keep my damn down payment anyways. I appreciate all the help, I'll keep you guys posted on what goes down.

TAZ
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro

It should have had a used car warranty information sticker aka Buyers Guide in the window. If it didn't they violated the federal law. If it did, where is it? What did it state? It should have stated that this vehicle is sold "as is" or has a warranty. If the sticker was not on there the federal trade commission has information on what to do. Check their website or related info.
In case you have never seen one--go to any used car lot and see if it jogs your memory.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

If this dealer is 5 hours away, give him back the car and find a more reputable dealer closer to you.

This dealer is scum. Are you going to name the dealer or are we supposed to guess who it is?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Hall of Famer

what dealer was it????
Old 01-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Ed Morse Acura, Pompano Beach, FL....
lying, thieving, bastards...
- I'm having my mechanic check out the car to give me the real scoop as it seems that the other dealership where the tranny is being replaced may not be being honest with me either.
- Either way, the dealer lied about the car being certified and whatever the outcome, I'll do everything to be sure that people know this dealership is scamming and lying to people.
- I should have the car back this wednesday I believe. I'll be sure to let everyone know what the outcome is. This whole ordeal is really a nightmare. Again, I appreciate everyones comments.

TAZ
Old 01-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Intermediate

These guys even look like sleazeballs!

http://www.edmorseacura.com/staff.asp
Old 01-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by slick88

Yeah and looks like they've been hitting up the Krispy Kreme Donuts pretty hard.

I think we all look forward to hearing your complaint to the BBB among other agencies like the AG, FTC, and District Attorney.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Hall of Famer

you should have taken it to Rick Case Acura.

I know it's to late now...sorry to hear about all your problems. Definately file a complaint!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

May not be too late. If he gets all his money back and gives the car back to them he can head over there to buy one
Old 01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro

You guys need to lay off him and let him decide...you offered your opinions. If he feels like staying with a damaged car because he doesn't want to drive 5hrs away to get his money back then let him be.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro

amazing they are selling this 2003 CL for 28k with this damage on it

Old 01-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Advanced

FidizzyTypeS - thnx, the thing is that the car may not really be that damaged. if it had a small ding that needed to be fixed, thats not a big deal IMO but if its more than that, then I'm gonna demand my money back and sue them to get my down payment if I have to. I wont know for sure whats going on until I take the car to my mechanic who is unbiased and who I trust (and who is also an acura/honda expert who races them).

- At this point, I'm going to file a complaint with every agency I know of and mail coppies of them to ed morse acura and ed morse corporate...

I'll keep you posted..

TAZ
Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

FidizzyTypeS - thnx, the thing is that the car may not really be that damaged. if it had a small ding that needed to be fixed, thats not a big deal IMO but if its more than that, then I'm gonna demand my money back and sue them to get my down payment if I have to. I wont know for sure whats going on until I take the car to my mechanic who is unbiased and who I trust (and who is also an acura/honda expert who races them).

- At this point, I'm going to file a complaint with every agency I know of and mail coppies of them to ed morse acura and ed morse corporate...

I'll keep you posted..

TAZ
Good luck man!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by slick88

Dang, they really do.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:28 PM
l33t

Taz, bring it to my guy if you really wanna know whats up with the car. just make sure you bring a 6-pack of MGD for him. Lemmie know.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Let's see:

- Payment has been stopped.
- You have the car.
- They have your down payment.

Sounds like you have a severe advantage here. I'm sure they
want the payment more than you do the down payment. BBB
is of limited value as they will just put it into a file keeping a
list of complaints. The states attorney generals office might
be a better choice.

Check your state lemon laws. Most states have an arbitration
process for dealing with such problems. It sounds like you
may be able to nullify the deal. Time is of the essence. Don't
let the other dealer do repairs yet as this will just complicate
matters. If already done make sure you get all the documents
including the dealers reasoning on the damage.

Also, check into small claims court. You would win. Wether your
state enforces payment or not would need to be checked.

The legal letterhead advice is very sound. It will help if you
have something in the way of documentation for certification.
Even just the 'sticker' that was in the window.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

/Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced

******* I FOUND THE CERTIFIED STICKER!!!!! *******

Hi all, I just picked my car up from having the transmission fixed and I remembered at the time of purchase, the sales man pointed at some paperwork that was placed where the spare tire is kept ...I checked and I found one of the stickers that was on the car that stated that MY VEHICLE IS CERTIFIED. I know that as far as Acura is concerned my car is not certified so that is outright fraud. The sticker lists the warranty that the certification entitles me to...it also has Ed Morse Acura's name on it and the title is "consumer information guide - Acura Certified Pre-Owned vehicles". The sticker has my VIN number and the mileage of the car at the time of purchase. ALSO, the sticker has a statement on it saying "THE INFORMATION ON THIS FORM IS PART OF ANY CONTRACT TO BUY THIS VEHICLE".

- So hopefully this will help me in my fight with the dealership. I'm still having my dealership check out the car this Monday....if theres no serious damage done to the car, I'll probably try to keep the car and have them compensate me...any suggestions? Just giving everyone in this thread a heads-up. thnx again for all the help.

TAZ
Old 01-17-2004, 09:44 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Now's the time to get nasty with 'em. If you plan of keeping it then I would have the dealership sign off on a warranty that covers the ENTIRE CAR for 150,000 miles including all routine scheduled maintanance (oil changes, timing belts etc...all done with giving you a loner car of the same ilk). Then tell them that maybe, MAYBE you won't take them to court. Weather you take them to court will count on the quality of service you get when they do work on it. You've got the upper hand now.....and it's a big one.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:44 PM
l33t

good job taz... sorry you had to go through this but looks like ed morse is out of time and now they REALLY dont have a choice. congrats dude...
Old 01-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Pusha Z

hahaha Ed Morse what a dumbass, if youre gonna do some shady sh!t then atleast cover your tracks ahahahaahaha
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Advanced

that's awesome man, they screwed you over, and now you get to do it back to them. good job, and good luck man
Old 01-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Okay the car is in the shop now. I'm wondering if I should try to contact Acura direct about this or contact Ed Morse Acura instead.
- Anyone have a suggestion? I want to make sure I don't get ripped off any further...

TAZ

Quick Reply: Dealer lied about car being certified! plz help!