Dealer getting me for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer getting me for parts?

My 02 TypeS has 90K miles on it and just had the tranny replaced. Shifting is smooth as silk again and I feel good having the supposed upgraded design in the newer rebuilds. Anyways, when the car was there they told me that the lower ball joints need to be replaced upfront. I took to my local shop for second opinion and they said they were fine. Now I know these are basically a wear item but are they just trying to get me? The service manager said that if there is any slop at all they need to be replaced. I wonder if I should just keep driving until I can feel slop when I jack it up and move the tires to find play. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!!

Side question, the new tranny has no oil jet kit. New ones have it built in or something?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yes its built inside the new ones - read the tranny failure thread

Have an alignment shop check the suspension and steering parts- then you will know for sure
Driving it till you feel something??? you must have great insurance
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmakowsk
My 02 TypeS has 90K miles on it and just had the tranny replaced. Shifting is smooth as silk again and I feel good having the supposed upgraded design in the newer rebuilds. Anyways, when the car was there they told me that the lower ball joints need to be replaced upfront. I took to my local shop for second opinion and they said they were fine. Now I know these are basically a wear item but are they just trying to get me? The service manager said that if there is any slop at all they need to be replaced. I wonder if I should just keep driving until I can feel slop when I jack it up and move the tires to find play. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!!

Side question, the new tranny has no oil jet kit. New ones have it built in or something?
You got it right just jack it up and check for play if they are tight then they are fine. I have a Durango that needs new ball joints about every 50-60K it cost me bank!! & No Recall!! Thanks Dodge I do this about every 20K or when the front end feels loose, whatever comes first. When they did the first set I had them put in some made by Moog they last a bit longer than the stock ones.

I have never looked into a set for my TL-S but im sure they make them. Whens the last time you had an alignment? This may be the cause of the slop (if any) the dealer is talking about
Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What we dont know at this point- because the service writer was not clear in the matter-
is why the ball joints are bad. Broken boot will leak out grease and destroy the bushing.
Rough roads will wear them out. Needing both side indicates some issue- are you lowered or drive on Earth?
The tech may have spotted any of those or other wear that pointed to ball joints

IMO- if doing the uppers do the lowers while you are there- be done with the problem.
If there is any play in the bearing- the alignment will be constantly changing

And as said before- an alignment shop is the place for a 2nd opinion
Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramsrt500
You got it right just jack it up and check for play if they are tight then they are fine. I have a Durango that needs new ball joints about every 50-60K it cost me bank!! & No Recall!! Thanks Dodge I do this about every 20K or when the front end feels loose, whatever comes first. When they did the first set I had them put in some made by Moog they last a bit longer than the stock ones.

I have never looked into a set for my TL-S but im sure they make them. Whens the last time you had an alignment? This may be the cause of the slop (if any) the dealer is talking about
Check for play with a prybar, Dont wait till you can feel it by hand.

An alignment WONT cause slop.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the replies! There are currently no handling issues I am having with the car. Tires wear evenly and tracking is fine. Delaer was just inspecting during the tranny replacement and found this supposed problem. I have never had an alignment done because of such good tire wear and tracking. I just checked the ball joints visually and found them to be dry with intact boots. I don't have a floor jack right now to check for play but I will be doing that at some point. I suppose the dealer thinks there is some play but maybe not enough where the other shop thought it was an issue.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by nmakowsk
thanks for the replies! There are currently no handling issues I am having with the car. Tires wear evenly and tracking is fine. Delaer was just inspecting during the tranny replacement and found this supposed problem. I have never had an alignment done because of such good tire wear and tracking. I just checked the ball joints visually and found them to be dry with intact boots. I don't have a floor jack right now to check for play but I will be doing that at some point. I suppose the dealer thinks there is some play but maybe not enough where the other shop thought it was an issue.
Any play means they need replacement. If they are original they may be wearing out.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Check for play with a prybar, Dont wait till you can feel it by hand.

An alignment WONT cause slop.
You are correct but a good alignment shop can solve this prob. I learned this the hard way at the cost of $800 for a set of joints and $400 for two new front tires. I was young and let them get bad

How much is a set for an 03 TL-S?