Dammit... Not me

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Dammit... Not me

In the last week or so, the transmission has been acting very weird. It doesn't just go into the next gear. It POPS in. There's a lot of jerking movement when the transmission upshifts.

Currently 10,2xx miles on the clock, SS used about 98% of the time.

If the tranny goes, Acura of Troy is going to get an earful from me. And a kick in the ass.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no wonder your tranny went. Why would you bother using SS mode 98% of the time. Knowing that these trannies are weak as it is, why would you play with fire?

I only use SS mode when i need to pass someone on the highway or in the city, and if I'm racing someone off the line.

Just let the car work its magic when you don't need to go fast.

If you do happen to get a new tranny, don't use SS mode all the time. You should only use it when necessary
Old 09-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sc354
no wonder your tranny went. Why would you bother using SS mode 98% of the time. Knowing that these trannies are weak as it is, why would you play with fire?

I only use SS mode when i need to pass someone on the highway or in the city, and if I'm racing someone off the line.

If you do happen to get a new tranny, don't use SS mode all the time. You should only use it when necessary
because he paid 30k+ for a car that he should be able to use SS all the time

i will continue to use SS all the time too, if the tranny goes, the TL goes
Old 09-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why would you bother using SS mode all the time. Honestly...all you're doing is f*cking up your tranny and wasting more gas...and it's not necessary.

The car will always select the most efficient gear, so cruising at 80 km/h and having your RPM's at like 1200 is the most fuel efficient.

Whatever do what you guys want. I have almost 15 000km on my TL-S and the tranny still shifts as smooth as silk...
Old 09-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Why would you bother using SS mode all the time. Honestly...all you're doing is f*cking up your tranny and wasting more gas...and it's not necessary.

The car will always select the most efficient gear, so cruising at 80 km/h and having your RPM's at like 1200 is the most fuel efficient.

Whatever do what you guys want. I have almost 15 000km on my TL-S and the tranny still shifts as smooth as silk...
Transmissions go wrong not because of SS, but because of manufacturing defect. If you are using SS correctly (without causing it to go into high RPMs), SS is harmeless.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

whatever guys, do what you want.
I just see absolutely no point in messing around with a $30k car.

it's your call.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Dragging knees in

Because I'm Mario Andretti. :p

Yeah, the computer selects the most efficient gear. But don't think I would cruise in 3rd at 75 mph. I know how to shift and what gear I should be in.

Besides, if the transmission isn't up to the SS task, then Acura should not have put it in. Their fault, not mine.

Bottom line.. I like shifting for myself. I would've gotten a 6-speed if they offered it on the TL.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
I know how to shift and what gear I should be in.

Besides, if the transmission isn't up to the SS task, then Acura should not have put it in. Their fault, not mine.
Bottom line.. I like shifting for myself. I would've gotten a 6-speed if they offered it on the TL.
werd
Old 09-14-2003, 03:59 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by Bochenek
because he paid 30k+ for a car that he should be able to use SS all the time

i will continue to use SS all the time too, if the tranny goes, the TL goes

exactly my thoughts.

@cUr@-TL
Old 09-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I see you bought your car in January. You had to have read about all the tranny problems, they're not new. Looks like it's your turn. Why blast the dealer? He didn't build the car and it's not like the cars come in secretly labled "good tranny" and "bad tranny". Those of us that bought early on deserve to be pissed because we weren't warned. Those that purchased after the tranny problems became public knowledge shouldn't be shocked. If you manage to go through two more tranny's after the next one you should be able to lemon law the car. Other than that, it is what it is.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

if the car was designed with the feature why not use it????????? hummmmmmm???? cause some of us would like to! the trannies will go weater you use ss or not if its a defective one! the trannies arent WEAK, there actually really strong, there just happens to be a defective part in it
Old 09-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

does anyone here know the actual defect in them? Which part is the one that actually fails???

or is it different from one tranny to the next?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Dragging knees in

does anyone here know the actual defect in them? Which part is the one that actually fails???

or is it different from one tranny to the next?
It's usually the 3rd gear clutch pack disintegrating, which explains why the transmission downshifts to 2nd gear.

BarryH --

Because when I got the car, the dealership told me that the transmission problem had been fixed and that mine wouldn't be affected. Now it's showing failure symptoms. I guess we'll see what happens in the near future. I'm away at school and the nearest Acura dealership is like an hour away. There's Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. in the area, but no Acura. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about that Pure Adrenaline!

Thanks for the details. I have about 5k miles use the SS about 50% of the time. They fixed it right??? I'm glad I'm getting it out of the way...

How long are the dealers taking to install these transmissions?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:06 PM

My tranny went 12 days ago... Im still driving a 03 Pontiac Gran Am Ram Air V6 hehe.

Lemme tell you this. My tranny took a beating and I was expecting it to go eventually... Im surprised it lasted as long as it did 52,000 miles over 3 years... Luckily my car made it to the dealership on its own

When I first got my car, I only used sport shift. After a while I stopped using it (stopped modding my car)... This is what caused my transmission to blow... The day it blew, I was using sport shift for the first time in months... Goin down a steep grade the car gained a mind of its own jerking back and forth as soon as i put the car into 3rd goin 45ish downhill.

Is 13 days a long time for Acura to replace your tranny???
Old 09-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Well, if the part was on backorder, then 13 days isn't bad. But if they can get one in asap, it shouldn't take more than a few days to install a new one.

I know that just recently, the transmissions were on nationwide backorder. Hmm, I wonder what caused that. :p
Old 09-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Using SS should not cause a tranny failure. That's what it's designed for!

Remind us all how old you are, SC354? 16? 17? I think your comments on a wide range of topics indicate that you need to talk less and listen more.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by kennelm
Using SS should not cause a tranny failure. That's what it's designed for!

Remind us all how old you are, SC354? 16? 17? I think your comments on a wide range of topics indicate that you need to talk less and listen more.
Hey asking questions and making mistakes once in a while isn't a crime. The fact is, most ppl learn from their mistakes. No one is perfect like you Mr. kennelm

Lay off.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Hey asking questions and making mistakes once in a while isn't a crime. The fact is, most ppl learn from their mistakes. No one is perfect like you Mr. kennelm

Lay off.
Um. You weren't asking a question. You were telling everyone here that using the SS will ruin the tranny. That's just not so.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Banned

sorry tpo hear dude, but it's covered so WTF are you worried about?!?! Tell Acura of Troy to go suck a cawk if they start *****ing about anything.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro

good luck dude, sorry to hear it. Have you been to the dealer to diagnose yet?
Old 09-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
bummer ...

Dude,

Sorry to hear the tranny is on its way out (if it hasn't so already). I'm keeping my fingers crossed my car's tranny holds up. Haven't been beating on it in a long time... all these stories has me all scared (even though it shouldn't)

Hey -- I heard on the A-CL board that Acura of Troy bites (as per darrinb's description) No dealerships in EL? Guess not ... oh well.

Take it easy.
- derrick