D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI DVD v2.40

Anyone in the tri-state area have the latest and greatest DVD for our car? I would like to try and make a backup...

If so could you PM me?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Does any happen to know the part #s for the hazzard button, harnesses/pigtails for the dvd drive and screen? please and thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Instructor

most of my questions were answered here
http://www.navhelp.com/nndvd.html

goog luck, let me know if you need help
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

I just got my junkyard 2001 TL parts for my Navi conversion on my 2003 TLS.
I have everythign except the wires (all of the ends are there, except for coming out of the deck), and the GPS antenna (seller should be sending that).
Oh yeah, I don't have a DVD or the anti-theft code either.

Anyone in the Florida Panhandle area attempted this yet?
I have very limited experience in wiring, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.

The seller included a black plastic Motorola box about the size of a deck of cards. Anyone know what this is?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

It says Timer, Rad. Fan on it, so I'm guessing it's for the Radiator Fan.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andramir82
Anyone in the tri-state area have the latest and greatest DVD for our car? I would like to try and make a backup...

If so could you PM me?

Where can I buy version 2.40 beside from the dealership? Does a backup copy works?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

I tried to send Bolamite a private message but i can't soo... i am just gonna ask here.

I just bought a 99 TL... i am 17 my first car. I want to put Navi on it (obiviously).

My question is my dad owns a junkyard and has both a 03 and 99 TL with navigation on it.

Now these are wrecked cars not necessarily wrecked in real bad condition but nevertheless wrecked.

I was wondering can i take parts out of any of these cars and put them in my TL instead of having to buy all those parts?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by infiltrate
I tried to send Bolamite a private message but i can't soo... i am just gonna ask here.

I just bought a 99 TL... i am 17 my first car. I want to put Navi on it (obiviously).

My question is my dad owns a junkyard and has both a 03 and 99 TL with navigation on it.

Now these are wrecked cars not necessarily wrecked in real bad condition but nevertheless wrecked.

I was wondering can i take parts out of any of these cars and put them in my TL instead of having to buy all those parts?
Sure, the navigation system components are interchangeable between any of the second generation TLs.

The one caveat is that the 1999 TL used a hard drive based navigation box while the 2000-2003 TLs used a DVD based box. This is the box mounted in the trunk.

Given a choice, you would definitely want the DVD based unit as it holds much more map data.

Bob
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Cruisin'

cool thanks for the reply...

i am really new to this so if anyone knows a lot about the parts that are connected between the navigation system and the navigation box in trunk to make it work... please either reply to this post or send me a private msg on what wires and etc i need to take out.

Things like where i can find the GPS and is the climate control items already there and i can take them out etc...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Why Boast!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holla

Hey you said that your dad owns a junk yard? Can I get hooked up on some parts I got no prob with payin I just need you to be able to ship to me Im in the Virgin Islands.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Why Boast!

Hey Infiltrate PM me when you get a chance. Or if you got msn messenger link me there manejer@hotmail.com
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Sure, the navigation system components are interchangeable between any of the second generation TLs.
I should clarify what I wrote above. By "components" I meant the navigation display screen and the trunk-mounted navigation data boxes. For example, I'm not sure the wiring harnesses are identical for all of the 2nd generation TLs. Perhaps another forum member could comment on the other needed items.

Good luck with your conversion!

Bob
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Navi..

Thats what I did... I have an 03 TL and went to a junk yard and took out everything i needed from a 01 tl... Where are you located?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Any chance you wanna take out the other set of wirign harnesses out? i'll pay for them when you have the chance and the shipping as well. you can contact me here or fern_lau@hotmail.com thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Why Boast!

Holla

Im tryin to get another screen with the pigtail on it. I did the conversion and got my Nav CPU from a 01CL and the screen from a 2000TL. But my screen is pretty much shot. Holla back at me with a price my zip is 00802
Old 03-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Thats what I did... I have an 03 TL and went to a junk yard and took out everything i needed from a 01 tl... Where are you located?

Located in Atlanta, GA

Can you be more specific on parts i need to take out beside the screen and the dvd set in trunk. Where is the GPS located so i can take that out.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Instructor

NAVI Conversion

GPS Antenna is right next to the subwoofer underneath the panel(Driver side).

What I also did was remove the entire wire harness from the car.... Navigation harness and the MAIN harness that runs under the dash since the Navi harness taps into that one. You might think Im crazy for doing so but I wanted the cleanest Navi conversion. Make it look as oem as possible. And since I didnt have the Helms manual @ the time I just transfered the Navi harness into my main harness. Just copied the wire taps from the other car. Then I used the diagrams from here to confirm and everything powered up fine!

Located in Atlanta, GA

Can you be more specific on parts i need to take out beside the screen and the dvd set in trunk. Where is the GPS located so i can take that out.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Cruisin'

Do i need the Helms Manual?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Diagrams

Do i need the Helms Manual?
....Not really, I ordered the manual and completed the conversion 1 day before I got it in the mail Do a search on the CL forum for the diagrams and you should be ok with that.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Why Boast!

Nav Parts

When I did my conversion All I got were the Nav Box with pigtails, GPS Antenna, and the screen without pigtails. From there I got beinstein's write up and diagram of what wires go where, three 20' long 3 pair shielded cables, and some terminal ends from home depot (male and female ends). Read through this thread from beginning to about page 16 you will definately find all the info that you need. If you want I can send you some shielded cable with the terminal ends on it also labelled so you will know where to hook them up. (It will save you quite a few hours) Just let me know what the deal is.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Why Boast!

BTW What is the name of the junk shop that your people operate? It wouldnt happen to be C & L Used Auto by chance would it?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

ah nah we are located in donald lee Howell pkwy (formally bankhead hwy) its called Bankhead Auto Parts ... the other one is in decatur called Budget Auto Salvage

I dunno if i need those wires? i am basically going to take out all of the wires from the wrecked TL we have here and just put it in mines...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Why Boast!

You shouldnt have much of a problem then just pics as you go along it will help when reinstalling into the other car.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Why Boast!

BTW can you quote me for some parts? Will you ship to my area if I wanted to buy from you guys?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

BTW i know who C & L is btw

We don't ship to virgin islands sorry :/
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If so could you PM me?
Anyone with the last map, can you send me an email to ttran@vt.edu. I need some help. Thanks
I have version 1.09 I think and would like to know if a backup dvd would work
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Why Boast!

That's cool if you dont I got some peeps in ATL that will pic up for me I just wanted to know if you did so that it would make my life a lil easier. I'll PM you what I need just shoot me back the price and I'll send my peeps with the $$$. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Unregistered user

how much do you guys usually pay for the whole setup? i've seen it go on ebay for $1000+
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

I found a wrecked 02 tl with Navi. Gonna have the company dismantle all the pieces and ship it to me. Every single component including the complete wiring harness.
I need to be sure that I'm getting all the wires required for this conversion.

Below is a pic of the wiring harness

I noticed the part numbers 4, 6, and 9 are different on the non-navi, and navi parts list. Are these the 3 wiring harnesses required for the conversion?
Any tips on the wiring harness is appreciated. I don't want to make my own harness. Just take the harness from a Navi car and put it in my car.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
how much do you guys usually pay for the whole setup? i've seen it go on ebay for $1000+
i pieced it togehter from ebay and car-part.com and got everthing except the wiring harness for around 550. Gonna be around 600 after gettting the misc brackets and hardware new from the dealer.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by style
I found a wrecked 02 tl with Navi. Gonna have the company dismantle all the pieces and ship it to me. Every single component including the complete wiring harness.
I need to be sure that I'm getting all the wires required for this conversion.

Below is a pic of the wiring harness

I noticed the part numbers 4, 6, and 9 are different on the non-navi, and navi parts list. Are these the 3 wiring harnesses required for the conversion?
Any tips on the wiring harness is appreciated. I don't want to make my own harness. Just take the harness from a Navi car and put it in my car.
Where did you get that picture. In that picture are taking all that out?

The first topic it says temperature control 2 pieces. Can you clarify what two pieces it is talking about?

I have the one that is above the radio.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
10th Gear

Where did you get that picture. In that picture are taking all that out?

The first topic it says temperature control 2 pieces. Can you clarify what two pieces it is talking about?

I have the one that is above the radio.
Got the picture from http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...13s0k0_b07.gif

acuraoemparts.com has a parts list for wiring harnesses, that is a picture to show you where each harness belongs. They have a seperate list for non-navi, and navi equipt cars. I compared the 2 list for a 2000 tl and found 3 harnesses that have different parts numbers, they are #4 #6 and #9 in the picture.

Link for wire harness parts list for 2000 tl w/o navi
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Link for wire harness parts list for 2000 tl with navi
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ll&vinsrch=yes

Here are the links to the parts list where you can see part numbers, prices, and general location of wire harness. You'll see part numbers 4 6 and 9 are different.

Would it be possible for me to take out harness 4 6 and 9 from a tl with navi and just plug into my connectors without any splicing or soldering? Any1 know?

I did some further research and found out that this 02 tl from which I'm getting all my parts has a navigation wiring harness with a different parts number than my 2000 tl. So I might tell them to just cut the wiring harness with the plugs attached, I might end up soldering this thing together.

In regards to the climate control (2 pieces). If you go to
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ll&vinsrch=yes
you will notice acura sells the climate control in 2 seperate peices, the switch assembly and the computer. I think thats what he meant by 2 pieces. If you where to get this item from a recycler or similar source you'd more than likely get both items attached together sold as one. yeah its that component above the radio
Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

remove radio

How do i find out how to remove the radio from my car... I tried to remove some screws and it still wouldn't budge... like another screw is holding it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

So the wiring is running behind the speedometer and behind the dash on the right side? So i have to get all the wiring behind the dashboard? Is it easier to get those wiring or just buy it?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Drifting

How do i find out how to remove the radio from my car... I tried to remove some screws and it still wouldn't budge... like another screw is holding it somewhere.
Check this excellent link out:

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf

It's written for the Acura CL but it also applies to the TL.

The photographs are especially helpful.

Bob
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks that helps a lot didn't realize there was so much work to do just to remove the radio.

BTW i was reading some older posts about the ETM Helms Manual and the Wiring Diagram and what not.

Can anyone send me this or where can i buy this please let me know.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I did it using the diagrams and pages posted throughout this thread.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Thanks that helps a lot didn't realize there was so much work to do just to remove the radio.

BTW i was reading some older posts about the ETM Helms Manual and the Wiring Diagram and what not.

Can anyone send me this or where can i buy this please let me know.
Yes, I was also surprised how much work was involved in removing the radio. I replaced my OEM single CD radio a few weeks ago with the OEM 6-CD changer. (I also replaced the navigation display because the touch screen wasn't working correctly.)

Watch out for the screws that go into the sides of the radio. They were, for some reason, nearly impossible to break free on my 1999 TL. I was right on the edge of ruining the screw tops on a couple of them.

It can help the reassembly if you bag and label the screws as you go. That really helped me.

You can purchase the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) directly from Helm Inc.:

http://helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

Bob
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

$44... if anyone is not using theres can they send it to me?

I really am confused reading this thread i see all this ill+ b plug and splicing i am really confused.

I see on the pictures on the first page that some wires are running down the passenger side?

What wires are these? Are these the navigation wires from the trunk? if so does it make a difference if it comes from the driver side?

The wires in the center console for the radio, temp control, and navi display where do these wires lead? behind the whole dash or just one side of the dash? left or right?

I have a wrecked 02 TL-S i took so far the wires from the trunk that lead down the driver side to the fuse box... by any chance does anyone know if the red wire is for power? because there are 3 other wires connected to other plugs beside the one main plug with basically all the navigation wires. Are any of these wires necessary?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
I did it using the diagrams and pages posted throughout this thread.

Dude how long ago did you do yours. You should have helped me when i was living in nyc. i had all the parts. the only thing missing were balls between my legs to try it on my own.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi